Wicker Park has long been a destination for second-hand clothes and thrift scores, and two recent openings are putting Milwaukee Avenue back on the vintage lover’s map. Earlier in September, the ‘80s and ‘90s clothing shop Kokorokoko (1323 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-252-6996, kokorokokovintage.com) moved from its cozy spot on Ashland Avenue to a much bigger storefront on Milwaukee. Check out 90210-era bodysuits, broken-in bomber jackets, and previously loved Chicago Bulls “three-peat” tees while partaking in punch and pie at the store’s grand opening party this Friday, September 14 from 6 to 9 p.m.
And bringing even more resale goodness to the strip: After closing in June for renovations, the resale boutique Lenny & Me reopened in late July as the new-and-improved Caza (1459 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-227-7774, cazachicago.com). The shop’s selection of one-of-a-kind vintage clothes and refurbished antique furniture is similar to Lenny & Me’s but adds contemporary, independent designers—including Baggu and Saudade—to the mix. Through the end of this week, Caza takes 50 percent off select summer dresses and tanks. Caza means “hunt” in Spanish. As far as we can tell, the search is on.
Top Sales This Week
Nordstrom (55 E. Grand Ave., 312-464-1515, nordstrom.com) is paid a visit by two style gurus on Saturday, September 15: Edmundo Castillo, the creative director for the shoe line Via Spiga, makes an appearance from 2 to 4 p.m., while Kimora Lee Simmons showcases her skincare line, Shinto Clinical, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Appointments are required; visit Nordstrom’s website for details.
George the Salon (23 W. Hubbard St., 312-923-9444, georgethesalon.com) and Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave., 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) team up for The BizOver, a beauty-slash-networking event for women in business, this Thursday, September 13 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Get a haircut or color service from the salon, plus a makeover from Neiman Marcus, for $65 (buy tickets here). It’s a package valued at more than $300; businesswomen, you know that’s a deal.
The Best of the Rest
- The local fashion designer Miriam Cecilia (miriamceciliacarlson.com) takes over ROOF on the Wit hotel (201 N. State St., 312-467-0200, roofonthewit.com) for a runway show this Thursday, September 13 at 7 p.m. Preview her latest women’s collection, which ranges from ready-to-wear cocktail dresses to hand-sewn couture gowns.
- Visit Cerato Boutique (3451 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) through Sunday, September 16 to get 20 percent off all new fall merchandise. Bonus: The Chicago-based jewelry designer Kristin Hassan stops by the store for a trunk show on Saturday, September 15, when her line also is marked down by 20 percent.
- At the women’s shop Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com), each purchase of Aviva Rose Jewelry on Thursday, September 13 gives shoppers the chance to win an Aviva Rose diamond necklace ($1,365).
- Bridal jewelry, headbands, shoes, handbags, and more are marked down by as much as 50 percent during a sample sale at Bella Bleu Couture Bridal & Specialty Accessories (143 N. Northwest Hwy., Park Ridge, 847-696-7152, bellableubridal.com). From Friday, September 14 through Sunday, September 30, find discounted designs by Haute Bride, Kenneth Jay Lane, Justine M Couture, and more.
- The semiannual sample sale Clever Alice (409 W. Huron St., cleveralice.com) returns with a fall pop-up event featuring more than 35 designers—including Chicago’s own Lara Miller, C/Fan, and Anna Hovet—and goods marked down by as much as 75 percent off original retail prices. The sale starts Thursday, September 13 and continues daily through Sunday, September 30. See cleveralice.com for details.
The Rockford-based beauty boutique Arch Apothecary (1359 N. Wells St., 312-291-9750, archapothecary.com) is expanding, most recently to a new location in Old Town. Look for luxury makeup, skincare, and haircare lines such as Oribe, By Terry, and Eve Lom—or make an appointment for a brow shaping, makeup application, or eyelash-enhancing service.
The Oak Park furniture consignment shop Divine Consign (divineconsignoakpark.com) is consolidating its two locations into one 10,000-square-foot showroom at 809 South Oak Park Avenue. Doors open this Saturday, September 15. (The owner has been working with designers and property developers who stage model homes, so expect to see contemporary furniture and décor.)
The women’s shop Hubba Hubba (2040 W. Roscoe St., 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) makes its move from Lake View to Roscoe Village official with a grand-opening party on Thursday, September 13 from 5 to 8 p.m. Wine and snacks are served, plus party goers get a free gift with purchase.