- Topolobampo alumni Brian Enyart and Jennifer Jones go solo with Dos Urban Cantina (2829 W. Armitage Ave., Logan Square, 773-661-6452), taking Mexican flavors and twisting them into dishes such as smoked trout with peanut salsa macha and goat albondigas with black mole and masa gnudi.
- The prolific Heisler Hospitality team (Pub Royale, Sportsman’s Club) strikes again with the Queen Mary Tavern (2125 W. Division St., Wicker Park, 312-374-3013). Many of the cocktails come equipped with extra-strong spirits (overproof rum, navy-strength gin), and if you’re toting a thirsty group, you can order some hot tea punch to share.
- Baker Miller owners Dave and Megan Miller are playing around with pastries at the new Hot Bar by Baker Miller (4642 N. Francisco Ave., Ravenswood Manor), offering up such creations as the malted-milk-filled, cookie-crumb-topped “dough-not.”
- Picture in your mind Farmhouse in either Evanston or River North. Now shrink it down a bit, and you’ve got Farm Bar (1300 W. Wellington Ave., Lake View, 773-281-2599). It has a tight selection of burgers and beers and is meant as a neighborhood hang.
- You have a few more days to get in on a pretty sweet deal at Lovely: A Bake Shop (1130 N. Milwaukee Ave., West Town, 773-572-4766). If you order a Thanksgiving pie before Friday, you’re entitled to a complimentary pie of your choice anytime from the end of the holiday through the end of the year. You can order and pick up pies from their Lovely, Too (1138 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., Edgewater, 773-253-5335) and Bakin’ & Eggs (3120 N. Lincoln Ave, 773-525-7005) as well.
- The BomboBar at eternally buzzy Bar Siena (832 W. Randolph St., West Loop, 312-492-7775) is now open for walk-up customers. If you’re taking a stroll along Randolph Street and find yourself craving gelato and doughnuts but don’t feel like going inside, this window is your new best friend.