What’s Up in West Town
More than 20 West Town shops along West Chicago Avenue keep their doors open late tomorrow for After Hours on Chicago Avenue. Many stores will offer deals from 15 to 30 percent off, and all will pop bottles and keep the party rolling until 9 p.m.
The route is a one-mile trek on West Chicago Avenue (between Noble Street and Leavitt Street). Start from the north end at Seek Vintage (1432 W. Chicago Ave.) and Dovetail (1452 W. Chicago Ave.) for vintage shopping, then work your way south to women’s shops Alcala’s Boutique (1739 W. Chicago Ave.) and Ad Hoc (1948 W. Chicago Ave.). Along the way, pop into specialty stores like Epic Spices (1725 W. Chicago Ave.), music shop Permanent Records (1914 W. Chicago Ave.), and comic book store Vigilante Press (1931 W. Chicago Ave.). Home stores Paperish Mess (1955 W. Chicago Ave.) and Sprout Home (745 N. Damen Ave.) are a must-visit before concluding the evening at indie boutique Study Hall (2016 W. Chicago Ave.).
Study Hall owner, Naoko Nagano (who lives in West Town) says it’s the mix of businesses that makes her ’hood a hot place to shop. “It’s a great shopping destination because it’s so diverse; vintage clothing, boutiques, bike shops, and record stores are all here—and they all do what they do so well,” Nagano says.
The Best of the Rest
Study Hall boutique in West Town will be giving away gift cards with purchase on Friday during After Hours on Chicago Avenue.
- Take a long lunch break to shop the semi-annual Scandal Sale at Loop boutique Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860, florodora.com) this week. Now through Saturday, everything is on sale, including new fall arrivals. New to the sale this year is a $20 rack that’s replenished with new items daily.
- The stores along North Clark Street line the sidewalks this weekend for the annual Andersonville Summer Sidewalk Sale. Tomorrow through Sunday, more than 30 participating merchants between 5000 and 5800 North Clark Street—including Milk Handmade (5137 N. Clark St.) and Akira (5228 N. Clark St.)—offer big bargains.
- On Saturday, E! News correspondent Catt Sadler hosts a panel of stylists and bloggers, including Stephanie Mark of The Coveteur and Wendy Nguyen of Wendy’s Look Book, at an event called Simply Stylist. Tickets start at $20 and are available online.
- Indoor/outdoor antiques bazaar Randolph Street Market (1340 W. Washington St., 312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) is back in the West Loop this weekend. Tickets are available online for $8 and at the door for $10.
- Shop (with cocktail in hand) on Sunday at Sassy City Chicks, a shopping event and sample sale at the Drake Hotel (140 E. Walton St.). Purchase tickets ($10) at sassycitychick.com.
3 weeks ago