Make Yourself Over
(page 2 of 3)
1. An unexpected color can add an interesting note to an otherwise formal ensemble. Tie, $65, Joseph & Lyman, and dress shirt, $295, Ermenegildo Zegna JOE SAYS: "I like a punch of color in the winter and I think lavender is a really fresh alternative to the typical white and blue that everyone wears."
2. A long-sleeved sweater with a suit is a way to layer in warmth. Navy blue wool V-neck, $125, Hugo Boss JOE SAYS: "The lavender might be a bit risky for Graham since his style type is basically classic. I added the navy V-neck to take it down a notch but retain the splash of color near the face."
3. Lupo liked this suit jacket's trim fit and side vents. Charcoal gray pinstriped suit, $795, Hugo Boss JOE SAYS: "Look for a suit with higher armholes, which actually give you more mobility, not less. If a suit jacket is boxy you should spend the money to have the waist nipped in by a tailor; a jacket should skim the body."
4. The trench coat is a piece that quickly becomes an essential element of a complete wardrobe; in cobalt blue, it's pure drama. Belted trench, $648, Elie Tahari STACEY SAYS: "The shape of this trench is classic and because the blue looks great on Tacy, she'll be able to wear this coat for many years—with pants or a skirt suit, or even with jeans."
5. A high-waisted skirt is a versatile, polished work staple. Wool houndstooth skirt, $248, Ellen Tracy STACEY SAYS: "The houndstooth pattern is a timeless print, and here, blown up and exaggerated, it's unique, fun, and graphic."
6. Knee-high boots that are fitted through the ankle and calf elongate the leg without sacrificing shape. Stretch boots, $475, Cole Haan STACEY SAYS: "Everybody should have a great pair of knee-high boots. A pointy toe is almost universally flattering and a streamlined stiletto heel will be classic forever."