Photo by Werner Straube
Peering through the window of Buckingham Interiors + Design, Julia Edelmann’s studio on Grand Avenue offers a feast for the eyes. Edelmann is a whiz at combining antiques with modern elements to create homes that brim with style and personality. This week, she finishes our sentences.
1. If I could live in any movie or TV setting it would be Gone With the Wind. I’m intrigued by every element—the fashion, interiors, Southern hospitality, and opulence.
2. I eat like a pig when I go to the Twisted Spoke. The fried-egg sandwiches and banana buckwheat pancakes (washed down with a Bloody Mary) are musts. My husband, children, and I head there after participating in the fun-runs around the city—it’s a family tradition that, when combined with a run, makes me feel less guilty.
3. My libation of choice is Veuve Clicquot. There is always a reason to celebrate with a glass of bubbly!
4. The most aesthetically pleasing place I’ve visited recently was the Hermès flagship boutique in Paris. The brand is iconic and true to its history, and this is reflected in every flawless display and vignette.
5. The best music for a dinner party is jazz pianist Bill Evans’s 1961 album, “Sunday at the Village Vanguard.” That is, of course, if my son, Alex, isn’t in town to put on a bass recital.
6. My turn-to item of clothing is BIG coats that make LARGE fashion statements.
7. Most people don’t know that I have an obsession with laminating. Over the years, I’ve collected images and clippings from design magazines and laminated them to archive in my inspiration bin. I love the glossy finish!
2 days ago