David Hernandez and Tereasa Surratt Photo Gallery »
When she’s not installed in her office as a creative director at Ogilvy & Mather, tending to her new baby daughter, renovating vacation cabins, and writing books, Tereasa Surratt is shopping for the little-known, the underappreciated, and the ripe-for-new-life. The superstar hostess buys almost nothing new or mainstream, preferring instead to scour Chicago-area vintage and thrift stores for finds that are unique and inexpensive. The next time you’re throwing a party, try Surratt’s suggested spots for unexpected decorations, glassware, serving pieces and more.
Thrift housewares and furniture:
- Salvation Army on Grand Avenue. “This is the distribution center, the mothership of Salvation Armies in Chicago.” 509 N. Union Ave. (at Grand), 312-421-0136
- Salvation Army in the less trendy neighborhoods, i.e. locations on the far West and South Sides
- Ark Thrift Shop. 1302 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-862-5011
- White Elephant Resale Shop. 2380 N. Lincoln Ave., 773-883-6184
Worth the 90-minute drive:
- Inspiration Ministries, Walworth, Wisc. “Resale, cheap, continual stock of midcentury modern from folks who don’t know what they have.”
- Goodwill, Delevan, Wisc. “Far enough away from Chicago (85 miles) that it’s not picked over. Good stock rotation.”
Vintage furniture and home décor:
- Post 27. “Affordable, chic, and inspiring.” 1819 W. Grand Ave.
- Brimfield. “You know I am addicted, right? Pre-selected and fab.” 5644 N. Clark St.
- Roost. “Great for digging; prices are good.”
- Stop! Look! Oddments. “A full-on Dumpster-diver paradise, tiny hole-in-the-wall off California. Not for the weak. Wear gloves. Beyond cheap; I always emerge with junk treasures.” 1305 N. Western Ave.
- Penn Dutchman Antiques. “A well-kept secret. Hodge-podge of everything imaginable; be prepared to spend a lot of time.” 4912 N. Western Ave.
- Jans Antiques. “Good standby for architectural salvage. Prices can be high, but huge inventory.” 225 N. Racine Ave.
Other Haunts for Randomness:
- Fort Pitt Furniture Liquidators. “Hit or miss, but worth stopping by often to see if some great end tables pop up from a recent liquidated hotel.” 1400 W. 37th St.
- Textile Discount Outlet. “The motherload of all fabrics and textiles.” 2121 W. 21st St.
1 month ago
2 months ago
5 months ago