Style: Cool Traditional with Devin Kirk
Devin Kirk’s Uptown home, all decked out
1. “For a relaxed modern look, lean artwork instead of hanging it—fewer holes in the wall, and it’s easier to switch things up from season to season. Wreaths look effortless and actually are!”
2. “Use only fresh wreaths, garlands, greens, and trees. They look and smell better than the fake stuff. Boxwood, magnolia, and berries can easily get you through the whole season.”
3. “Vintage touches are a must—whether they’re family heirlooms or things you picked up at a flea market. My vintage Shiny Brite ornaments can get kind of lost on a tree, so I like to display them on their own for more impact.”
4. “I don’t stray too far from neutrals in my place, but at holiday time I amp up the metallics. I added brass pieces to the mantel, which makes it festive but still understated.“
5. “I like the surprise of an oversize brown paper chain, a spin on what children make. I genuinely believe if you have fun decorating for Christmas, it will turn out better. Invite friends and make it a party!”
Style: Cozy Modern with Angela Finney-Hoffman
Angela Finney-Hoffman’s festive fireside
1. “Use holiday lights in an unexpected way. Vintage-style bulbs are more interesting than the modern-day tiny kind and would look great strung around a painting or a mirror, too.”
2. “Buy lots of candles in different sizes and colors (almost any palette can look festive, but several shades of a single hue adds sophistication) and cut tapers to desired heights. I attached these to plywood with caulk, and hid the base with greenery.”
3. “Boughs draped asymmetrically lend a kick. Here, seeded eucalyptus and artichokes fill out an evergreen garland, but you could use all sorts of things.”
4. “Layer throws and textiles in different colors and textures on seating near the fireplace to create visual interest and invite lingering.“
Photography: Nathan Kirkman (Devin Kirk); Anna Knott (Angela Finney-Hoffman)
ABOUT OUR SOURCES: We attempt to provide as much information as possible about the products and professionals involved in designing the homes we show in our pages. Items not sourced here are probably not available for sale. Send questions to email@example.com. And check out Design Sources, our comprehensive list of hundreds of local home design pros, shops, and showrooms, at chicagohomemag.com.
Devin Kirk: Alpaca throw in cream, paper chain garland, brass Berkshire horn cup, vintage French black-and-white textile (on floor), magnolia wreath, mod brass trees, myrtle topiary, birch logs, all Jayson Home, 1885 N. Clybourn Ave., 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com. Jute boucle rug, West Elm, 1000 W. North Ave., 312-867-1770, westelm.com. Paint on fireplace, Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal.
Design, Angela Finney-Hoffman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Fireplace screen, Carson Maddox, 4200 W. Diversey Ave., 773-722-9541, carsonmaddox.com. Greenery, Foxglove Studios, 773-213-2107, email@example.com. Taxidermy, rugs, throws, and other accessories, post27store.com.
1 month ago
5 months ago
5 months ago