This Week’s Nightlife Buzz
1. Crimson Lounge celebrates its one-year anniversary—a lifetime in bar years—tonight, Thursday the 17th, with an event called Grand Opening 2.0 (we don’t quite get it either). Entertainment includes New York’s DJ Kiss and Belmont Burlesque. The party runs from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.; RSVP to email@example.com.
2. It’s always someone’s anniversary somewhere: Also tonight, Akira Chicago, Wicker Park/Bucktown’s massive boutique compound, celebrates six years of putting club clothes on the backs of the party faithful from 6 to 10 p.m. (1814-1920 W. North Ave.). The carnival-themed block party features DJs, Belvedere cocktails, and prizes, plus food from Hugo’s, Luxbar, Lucia’s, and Gene and Georgetti. A $10 donation benefits Chicago Gateway Green, and a free afterparty follows at Chaise Lounge.
3. And if you need a little hair of the dog come Friday morning, rise and shine with Shaw’s Morning Glory cocktail: Hendrick’s Gin, Lillet Blanc, Cointreau, two dashes of Lucid Absinthe, and lemon juice ($10.95).
4. Not up for the crowds and heat at Pitchfork this weekend? Head over to the air-conditioned haven of Silver Cloud Bar and Grill, order an Effen vodka cocktail ($6), and you’ll be entered into a raffle of albums by bands playing the fest, including Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Cut Copy, The Hold Steady, and Animal Collective. The special runs tonight and tomorrow, Friday the 18th, from 10 p.m. until close.
5. Kick ’em back for a good cause: The Junior Council of Children’s Memorial Hospital hosts Summer Luau at Uncle Fatty’s Rum Resort (2833 N. Sheffield) Saturday the 19th from 3 to 7 p.m. Entry ($45 in advance; $60 at the door) includes a premium open bar and frozen cocktails, a buffet, and raffle tickets for prizes including a trip to Mexico.
6. After paying $40 cover at last weekend’s Imerman Angels event at Lakeshore Athletic Club, partygoers, including me, weren’t thrilled when, by 8 p.m., all of the drinks were gone save Coke or Veev. I chose Veev on the rocks.
7. Remember Mad Bar? The long-shuttered Bucktown hang’s original owner, Arman Razavi, is back in the biz with Cat’s Meow, opening this weekend in West Town. Stop by Saturday the 19th from 6 p.m. on to claim your spot of prime real estate on the 100-seat outdoor patio.
8. An LGS spy spotted “I Don’t Want to Be” crooner Gavin DeGraw at Manor this past Tuesday with a male friend, flirting and dancing with a couple of ladies—minus any drinks. When he left, our sources say he headed to River North’s massive 24-hour McDonald’s.
9. John Huntington, star of the A&E show Inked, plays host next Tuesday, the 22nd, at the newly renovated Spybar. Local body-paint artist Mario Ink will be on hand to airbrush guests, and Huntington will take over the turntables at 10 p.m. Cover is $20. Sounds like a colorful night.
10. Can you get drunk on beer?
23 hours ago