At First Blush
Anyone who has ever walked away from a makeup counter looking like Baby Jane will appreciate Colorlab Custom Cosmetics (857 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-9086), which operates under the philosophy that “makeup isn’t one size fits all.” The recently opened Lincoln Park arm of the Rockford-based company creates lipstick, foundation, powder, blush, and eye shadow according to each woman’s specifications. Choose a product, have a chat with a technician, and watch it come to life. For lipsticks ($21), choose a color, sheen, and even flavor (or match a discontinued shade). Or you can have a foundation ($42) made to perfectly match your skin tone (liquid, loose, or pressed). It’s surprisingly fun to watch, and you can make adjustments along the way. The shop keeps the formula on file to allow for re-orders. Most everything in the store is custom-blended, with the exception of mascaras and the so-called “ready to wear” line of seasonal lipsticks and blushes.
Top Sales This Week
The International Antiques Fair, part of the art show Artropolis, includes more than 100 dealers offering decorative arts, furniture, posters, textiles, and jewelry from April 25th through 28th at the Merchandise Mart (8th floor, 312-527-4141) on April 25th and 26th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., April 27th from 11 .m. to 6 p.m. and April 28th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets are $25 for four days, $20 for one day.
Fulton Market district celebrates Earth Night on April 23rd from 5 to 8 p.m. with a green theme at each participating gallery and shop. Participants include Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.), Basia Frossard Design (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.), Bess and Loie (1015 W. Lake St.), and Erin Gallagher Jewelry (1017 W. Lake St.).
The Best of the Rest
- Browse 20th century design collections from more than 50 American and European dealers at the Chicago Modernism Show and Sale (1422 N. Kingsbury St.; 708-366-2710, www.dolphinfairs.com) on April 26th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and April 27th from noon to 5 p.m. A $10 ticket is good all weekend.
- Simone’s Boutique (1060 Gage St., Winnetka; 847-446-9966) showcases the spring and fall collections of the 27-year-old design wunderkind Brian Reyes, whose clients include Rachel Bilson, Kate Hudson, and Cate Blanchett. Reyes will attend the event on April 25th and 26th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; RSVP required.
- Savvy Shopper hosts a men’s designer sample sale with sample pieces and overstock at 40 to 80 percent off, featuring designs from New York-based Hyden Yoo and the store Akira. Sale runs April 26th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Brickermade Studio (1109 W. Fulton Mkt.)
- Kristen Amato, the jewelry designer behind K.Amato (1229 W. Diversey Ave.; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com), holds an open house and sale on April 23rd from 4 to 9 p.m. She’s offering her handmade necklaces, bracelets, and earrings at discounts up to 30 percent.
- All She Wrote (825 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-529-0100) offers free monogramming (a $12 value) through April 30th on more than 100 items in the store to celebrate its sixth birthday.
- Looking for a mother’s day gift? Embrace (29 E. First St., Hinsdale; 630-325-1996) holds a trunk show of Heather Moore’s engraved jewelry. Meet the sales team in person on April 25th from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and April 26th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dads who make a purchase during the event will be entered to win a $100 gift certificate. Preview at heathermoorejewelry.com.
- Montopoli Custom Clothiers (714 S. Dearborn St.; 312-987-0987) hosts a spring/summer trunk show on April 24th and 25th from noon to 8 p.m. featuring linen and silk sport coats from Ermenegildo Zegna, cotton trousers from Loro Piana, and summer suits from Dormeuil. Call to make a reservation.
- Brides, feel free to bring your wedding dress along to the “Veils and Vino” trunk show of Lori London veils at White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571) on April 26th and 27th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. All brides who make a purchase receive 10 percent off. By appointment only.
- Local jeweler Ellie Thompson (8 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 2203; 312-263-2264) unveils her new collection, “Memories Present,” featuring necklaces created from antique charms and gentleman’s stickpins from 1850 to 1900 at a reception on April 25th. RSVP to attend.
- Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) features Match Pewter designs this month for its Table of the Month series, to show customers how to start with one or two items to create an entire table. On view at both locations.
- Stationery and gift shop Noteworthy (1440 N. Kingsbury St.; 312-932-9565) hosts an open house on April 24th from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., offering customers 15 percent off their entire purchase. Bring a friend along to receive a free set of personalized note cards.
- Oak Park businesses team up for “Personal Best . . . It’s All About You!” a day of wellness and beauty on April 26th from 9 to 6 p.m. Visit personalbest-imagestudio.com to register for workshops.
- Chef Govind Armstrong shares tips on cooking green with local organic ingredients at Macy’s (Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-684-2400) on April 24th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Reservations required at 800-329-8667.
3 days ago
6 days ago