Let the Green Times Roll
A new Roscoe Village addition A Cooler Planet (2211 W. Roscoe St.; 773-248-1110, itsacoolerplanet.com) makes it easy to live green. Sisters Heidi Bailey and Krista White, self-taught green experts who went organic in their own life, opened the store to help others do the same. “People can get overwhelmed and we wanted to open a place to make it easier to take the first step,” Bailey says. “Anything you buy in here we have already researched,” White says. The lifestyle shop, the duo says, is designed to take care of everything from morning to night, from the U.S.D.A. certified organic skincare line Terressentials down to organic mattresses. For the home, the store stocks Pacific Rim furniture (with wood from sustainable foresting and treated only with tongue oil and beeswax), lush organic towels, and beautiful platters and plates from Riverside, all created from post-industrial recycled glass. Children’s items include Natursutten natural rubber pacifiers ($7.25), Coyuchi organic cotton linens hand-stitched with cute monkeys and hippos, and phthalate-free bottles and sippy cups from Think Baby. The bright space also has a few unexpected surprises, such as the back wall adorned with 3-D ripple wall squares that can be installed with double-stick tape or wallpaper paste, from Mio Culture ($33 for a pack of 12). A few of our favorites? The Alchemy Goods messenger bag created from bike inner-tubes ($168), totes made from recycled sails ($148), and an electric composter from Nature Mill ($315), no bigger than a cooler, which is helpful for city dwellers with limited space.Top Sales This Week
Roscoe Village merchants host “It’s in the Bag,” on April 10th from 5 to 9 p.m. Shop along Roscoe Street (between the 1900 and 2200 blocks) to receive a small goodie bag and mystery envelope with a purchase at every participating shop, containing gift certificates from local restaurants, bars, and spas. (Shop more to collect more.) Also enter to win the grand prize, a mini-shopping spree along the street.
Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-6590) teams up with local designer Maria Pinto for Fashion Plates on April 11th from 6 to 8 p.m. The night features a preview of Pinto’s spring 2008 eveningwear collection and dinnerware displays as well as wine, food, and music. Tickets are $125; RSVP by April 10th to the store. Proceeds benefit the Illinois Education Foundation to raise money for academic programming and scholarships. Or stop by on April 12th from noon to 4 p.m. for the open house, with Champagne, treats, and an informal modeling of the collection.
- Couture resale store The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak St., 6th fl.; 312-943-8880) holds a denim sale throughout April, offering 40 percent off couture jeans, jackets, and dresses, from the likes of Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, and Gucci.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St. 3rd fl.; 800-329-8667) hosts its Fashionista Shopping Party, a girls’ night out with music, cocktails, appetizers, and a trend show, April 10th from 5 to 8 p.m. Buy two items to receive 20 percent off, three to four items for 25 percent off, and five or more to receive 30 percent off. Call to reserve a spot.
- Love Zac Posen? The designer wunderkind visits Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500) this week. The trunk show is April 10th and 11th, with Posen on the floor from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday.
- Jake (939 Rush St.; 312-664-5553) hosts Be Inthavong of handbag design duo Be & D on April 10th from 6 to 8 p.m. to present the new spring 2008 collection, in snakeskin, patent leather, eel skin, and lambskin.
- To celebrate the arrival of new pieces from France and the Netherlands and two new additions to the space, Vintage Pine (904 W. Blackhawk St.; 312-943-9303) holds an open house from April 11th through the 13th. The space recently expanded to 8,000 square feet on the first floor and welcomes French-inspired home décor shop C’est Moi (formerly in Bucktown) and Maremont/Allen, which is custom draper Norma Allen’s shop.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4463) hosts a Prom Prepping event on the third floor on April 12th from 2 to 4 p.m., offering tips on customizing that prom look, mini-makeovers and cosmetic tips from smashbox, and a 20 percent discount on any regularly priced prom dress bought during the event.
- Help Bess and Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247) celebrate its first birthday on April 10th, with 15 percent off the entire store.
- Silken Tent (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240) spa holds a “Harm Not, Look Hot” trunk show with earth-friendly active wear company Omala and organic makeup line Nvey on April 12th and 13th from noon to 5 p.m. RSVP to attend.
4 hours ago