The local milliner Loreta Corsetti recently moved her four-year-old business at State and Elm streets a few blocks southeast, joining with her long-time friend Terri Vizzone at Urban Style Emporium (200 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-335-1353, urbanstyleemporium.com). Although Loreta Corsetti Millinery Atelier (312-640-6004; by appointment only) is now located within Vizzone’s boutique, it’s not a pop-up shop or stand. Instead, the carved out and enclosed space is its own entity. “It’s a Parisian salon, and it’s very different from Terri’s space, but, at the same time, we complement each other,” says Corsetti. With more than 20 years of experience, Corsetti sews, beads, cuts, curls, and creates each hat and millinery piece by hand. “What women are coming to me for is something that looks like nothing else in the world, and that’s because it is the only one in the world,” she says. “I have never made two of the same hat.” You’ll find on display in the atelier an assortment of intrinsic designs, such as the asymmetrical spray of red roses in silk and Swiss plaited straw with comb anchor ($425); eggshell parasisal straw with paglina straw bias striping, rhinestone band, vintage German silk flowers, and feather spray ($425); two-tone sinamay straw cap on headband with French silk bow and flower, ostrich and biot feathers, crystal, and glass hat pin ($475). To schedule an appointment with Corsetti, call 312-640-6004; mention “Sales Check” to receive 10 percent off your custom hat order.
Top Sales This Week
Roscoe Village’s third annual “It’s in the Bag” event runs Thursday, April 22nd from 5 to 9 p.m., on Roscoe Street between Damen and Oakley avenues. Guests who make a purchase at more than a dozen participating shops will receive a gift bag filled with discounts and more. After the first purchase, shop at other local stores to receive envelopes with additional savings and freebies. For a list of participating shops, visit rvcc.biz.
More than 20 downtown Palatine businesses take part in the Girls on the Town event with discounts, prizes, complimentary food and beverages, and more on Friday, April 23rd from 4:30 to 8 p.m., and Saturday, April 24th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For a list of participants and their deals, visit downtownpalatine.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) hosts a trunk show featuring shoes by Tania Spinelli on Saturday, April 24th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday, April 25th from 12 to 5 p.m. Book a free fit consultation at RSVP@shopsarca.com.
- In conjunction with Goorin Brothers hats and Argo Tea, His Stuff (hisstuffchicago.com) holds its Mad Hatter Tea Party and trunk sale at its Lake View location (3162 N. Broadway St.; 773-281-6111) on Saturday, April 24th from 12 to 5 p.m., and at its Andersonville location (5314 N. Clark St.; 773-989-9111) on Sunday, April 25th from 12 to 5 p.m. During the events, His Stuff takes 20 percent off all trunk show orders, and guests receive free samples of tea and snacks.
- Gavin Boutique (1939 Central St., Evanston; 847-328-7407, shopgavin.com) takes 15 percent off all new spring apparel and accessories on Thursday, April 22nd from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Sign up for a membership at Equinox Fitness (for locations, equinoxfitness.com) on Tuesday, April 20th, and the club will plant a tree in your honor. Also, attend the Earth Day event that evening, open to nonmembers, from 5 to 8 p.m. to receive free fitness sessions; green living tips; organic cocktails, teas, and snacks; and 10 percent off Equinox Orange Label organic products.
- Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-1133, underthewire.biz) features jewelry, knits, pottery, art, and more for $15 or less on Friday, April 23rd from 12 to 7 p.m., and Saturday, April 24th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.) holds its first Fashion Café event of the year on Tuesday, April 20th from 6 to 8 p.m. The event features Amy Tara Koch, author of Bump It Up: Transform Your Pregnancy into the Ultimate Style Statement, JKAT Jewelry (jkatjewelry.com), snacks, and more.
- Akira (for locations, akirachicago.com) hosts its MMX: The Common Era fashion event with fashions from Paige Premium Denim, G-Star Raw on Sunday, April 25th at 8 p.m. The free showcase, with food samplings and cocktails, will be held in a warehouse space at 659 West Diversey Parkway. Seating is limited; RSVP at email@example.com or 312-324-0348.
- Receive manicures, massages, and shoe shining services from ten Chicago-based businesses at the Drake Hotel (140 E. Walton St.; 312-787-2200, thedrakehotel.com) on Thursday, April 22nd from 6 to 9 p.m. In addition to services, guests also get one glass of Champagne, one specialty drink, and a VIP gift bag. For tickets ($45 online, $55 at the door), visit raymiproductions.com.
- Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) features 40 to 70 percent off furniture, tableware, and home accessories Friday, April 23rd through Sunday, April 25th.
- Get 20 percent off all jewelry at shopjules.com through Friday, May 7th. Use promo code “MOM20” to receive discount. Also save 20 percent off at all April Jules trunk shows; for dates and locations, click on “Events” at shopjules.com.
Closings and Relocations
After nine years in Lake View, Trousseau Lingerie and Swim (3543 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727) closes Sunday, April 25th at 5 p.m. Until then, save up to 80 percent off everything in the boutique, including furniture, electronics, and office supplies.
Attention Sales Check readers: We want your feedback! Why do you subscribe to this newsletter? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Are there sales and shopping events at Chicagoland stores that we’re missing? Please send your tips, complaints, and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 days ago
3 weeks ago