Big Names, Downsized Prices
To help Chicago women get a little more bang for their buck in the northern suburbs, Susan Plumer Gerber and Gilat Zamost recently opened My Best Friend’s Closet (1780 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park; 847-681-0002, mybestfriendsclosethp.com). The new, consignment resale shop offers gently used designer clothing and accessories for less. “If you come here, you will pay one-third of the original retail price,” assures Zamost. “Why pay $1,200 for a handbag when you can pay $400 here, and it doesn’t even look like it’s been touched?” From casual clothing to cocktail attire, with some formalwear in the basement, My Best Friend’s Closet features big names, such as Chanel, Gucci, True Religion, and Paige, as well as some stylish but lesser known brands from London, Italy, and Paris. Special occasion dresses for adolescents are also available. “Nothing in here makes it seem like the clothing is used. In fact, most stuff has a tag on it,” says Zamost. “We like to say our items are previously owned, not necessarily previously worn,” adds Gerber. Consignments currently include a Fendi curly straw baguette bag ($299; full-price $900); Manolo Blahnik black suede Mary Jane pumps ($215; full-price $650); and a Tory Burch chocolate-brown dress with red and ivory flowered sleeves ($133; full-price $400).
Top Sales This Week
Shecky’s Girls Night Out returns with discounts on designer merchandise, beauty treatments, and drinks in the Great Hall at Union Station (210 S. Canal St.), Wednesday, April 7th and Thursday, April 8th from 5 to 10 p.m. General admission is free to “Shecky’s Socialistas” (sign up at sheckys.com), or $25. Must be 21 or older.
Since closing its brick-and-mortar location in December, B Boutique (773-665-1102, b-chicago.com) opens its first pop-up shop at Alice Berry Studio (1820 W. Cortland St.) on Saturday, April 10th and Sunday, April 11th. Browse through spring collections, sample sales, and special offers from local designers, including Alice Berry, Tennille White, and Lilian Cartwright. RSVP to email@example.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Cityblue apparel & denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com) features a men’s event with discounts on designer denim jeans and jackets through Saturday, April 10th. Also, shoppers who buy one pair of full-priced jeans, get a second pair for half price.
- Find antiques and collectibles from many dealers at the Arlington Park Spring Antiques Show (2200 W. Euclid Ave., Arlington Heights; 618-444-2803), Friday, April 9th through Sunday, April 11th. Admission is $8.
- The Park Hyatt Chicago (800 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-335-1234, parkchicago.hyatt.com) holds a Lyn Devon trunk show and Dream Foundation event on Tuesday, April 6th until 4 p.m.
- The Shop for Women event at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4574, bloomingdales.com) kicks off on Thursday, April 8th from 6 to 8 p.m., with informal modeling, treats, music, and 25 percent off most $250 or more Shop for Women purchases. Guests who spend at least $39.50 on Estée Lauder products receive a free eight-piece gift; those who spend at least $75 on Estée Lauder to get a tote. The 25 percent discount runs through Thursday, April 8th.
- À Pied (2037 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2210); Cinnamon (2104 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2466); and Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577) hold a Complete Your Look event on Roscoe through Sunday, April 11th. Buy from one of the boutiques and receive 15 percent off the remaining two on the same day.
- Visit afreshsqueeze.com to save on eco-friendly clothing and accessories from local boutiques. Register for a yearlong membership ($10) to receive exclusive discounts, including 25 percent off full-price items at Connect (1330 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-360-1520, connect-chicago.com) and 15 percent off a purchase of $100 at Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com.)
- Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com) holds an English High Tea party with treats, tea, and Champagne on Saturday, April 10th at 3 p.m. Guests also receive tips on tea party traditions, spring get-togethers, and garden parties. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Event Studio also takes 10 percent off all decorative mirrors through Friday, April 30th.
- Enjoy a range of trunk shows at the Chicago Fashion Incubator Pop-Up Shop (900 N. Michigan Ave., fifth floor; 312-781-5267) this weekend. The temporary boutique spotlights Kristin Hassan’s Summer 2010 collection on Thursday, April 8th from 7 to 10 p.m.; Yana Collection’s Fall 2010 pieces on Friday, April 9th from 12 to 6 p.m.; and new items from Evil Kitty on Saturday, April 10th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Dominican University (7900 W. Division St., River Forest; 708-488-5000) holds its annual student fashion show Saturday, April 10th at 3 and 7 p.m., and Sunday, April 11th at 3 p.m., in the Lund Auditorium. Tickets are $15.
- Take 20 percent off everything at Belly Dance Maternity (1647 N. Damen Ave., 773-862-1133; 1849 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park, 847-926-005; bellydancematernity.com) Saturday, April 10th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, April 11th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago spring art sale features paintings, jewelry, fashion, and more on Friday, April 9th and Saturday, April 10th in the SAIC Ballroom (112 S. Michigan Ave; 312-629-6880, saic.edu.)
- Enjoy store specials, coffee, tea, and a Brynn Capella handbag trunk show at Fixture (2108 W. Roscoe St.; 773.244.3100, shopfixture.com) on Saturday, April 10th and Sunday, April 11th.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) holds an assortment of trunk shows this week. Find Pamella Roland’s evening wear on April 6th and 7th; necklaces by Dominique Cohen on April 7th and 8th; Akris Fall 2010 on April 8th and 9th; Jude Frances jewelry on April 9th; and Gurhan jewelry on April 10th.
3 weeks ago