We’re Nuts for Hazel
Since opening in 2001, Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) has brought Chicagoans a stellar selection of jewelry, accessories, stationery, housewares, and candles. Now, a decade later, the boutique has spun off a second boutique, which sells clothing for men and women. “It seemed like a natural progression for what we have going on,” says Marissa Vanden Bout, the new shop’s manager of apparel, who helped the owner, Dave Vail, get things up-and-running. “There aren’t a lot of options for men and women’s clothing in Ravenswood, and we’re hoping to expand what’s already on Montrose.” Designed like its predecessor, Hazel Apparel (1926 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-904-7779) offers quality items from around the world at prices ranging from $18 for a basic tee to $200 for a dress. For spring, women’s wear includes a light blue and floral vintage-inspired sun dress by LA-based Many Belles Down ($56); a double-layered coral and black tunic with mesh insert by the Danish line Numph ($85); and an empire-waist dress with graphic design top by 2026 from France ($198). The men’s clothing includes a light jacket in ocean blue with white zipper by LA-based Life After Denim ($138) and a long-sleeve button down shirt in purple and black gingham by LA-based Civil Society ($74).
Top Sales This Week
Downtown Oak Park (downtownoakpark.net) hosts a girls’ night out shopping event with exclusive goodie bags, appetizers, and cocktails on Thursday, April 7th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets, $20, are available at participating boutiques, including Muse (106 N. Marion St.; 708-948-7052, museoakpark.com), Gem (108 N. Marion St.; 708-386-8400, gemjewelryboutique.com), and Ten Thousand Villages (121 N. Marion St.; 708-848-4572, oakpark.tenthousandvillages.com).
StyleChicago.com’s FashionChicago returns with tax-free shopping, drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and beauty treatments on Friday, April 15th, from 6 to 10 p.m., at Union Station (500 W. Jackson Blvd.). Tickets (available at 800-838-3006 or stylechicago.com) are $25 before Thursday, April 7th, or $35 from April 8th until they sell out. Tickets will not be available at the event.
The Best of the Rest
- Roscoe Village hosts its fourth annual It’s in the Bag event with discounts and freebies at local shops on Thursday, April 7th, from 5 to 9 p.m., on Roscoe Street between Damen and Oakley avenues. Make a purchase at Little Threads, Cinnamon, Kickin’, a pied, or another participating boutique or restaurant to receive a gift bag. After the first purchase, shop at other local stores to receive envelopes with additional savings. For a list of participating shops, visit rvcc.biz.
- Urban Flair (104 S. Cook St., suite B, Barrington; 847-381-0018, shopurbanflair.com) holds an Annie Handbags spring/summer trunk show on Saturday, April 9th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Guests receive a free gift with Annie Handbag purchase.
- The annual Running of the Brides event returns to Filene’s Basement (1 N. State St.; 312-553-1055, filenesbasement.com) on Friday, April 8th, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Browse through more than 1,700 wedding gowns, from size 2 to 26, starting at $249.
- P.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) launches a Brochu Walker pop-up shop with a party, featuring the company’s co-founders, Lisa Brochu and Lauren Walker, on Thursday, April 7th, from 5 to 8 p.m. The pop-up store, which features Brochu Walker and 247.365 spring 2011 collections, runs through Friday, April 21st. Shoppers receive a gift with purchase.
- View Kristin Hassan’s Fall 2011 collection during a runway show at the Chicago Fashion Incubator’s Local Designer Pop-Up Shop (900 N. Michigan Ave., 5th level; 312-649-9479, chicagofashionincubator.org) on Thursday, April 7th, from 6 to 9 p.m. The $10 tickets include cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
- Urban Spa Chic (1401 W. Hubbard St.; 312-492-8050, urbanspachic.com) offers various April discounts, including 20 percent off waxing and hair removal services on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays this month.
- Get 30 percent off online purchases from Mali Jewelry (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) through Saturday, April 30th. Enter discount code “30” at online check out.
- Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) celebrates five years this month with 20 percent off all purchases. Mention “Spring Fever” at check out to get the discount.
- This month, spend $300 on Robert Abbey lighting and get a free Alvin desk lamp at Lightology (215 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-944-1000, lightology.com). Shoppers also get 10 percent off ET2 and outdoor lighting by Hinkley starting Wednesday, April 6th.
- Dreidels & More (67 E. Oak St., #5-E; 312-266-6620, dreidelsandmore.com) takes 10 percent off Passover items through Tuesday, April 26th.
4 days ago