Strut Your Stuff
More than 40 fashion design students are in a frenzy of final fittings this week at the School of the Art Institute Chicago. On Thursday, April 19, this year’s senior class—the school’s largest to date—presents five-piece mini collections in Millennium Park to the fashion community at large (J.Crew’s creative director Jenna Lyons and the designer Jason Wu were among the 2,400 attendees last year) during SAIC Fashion 2012. Three runway shows feature more than 300 student-made creations, which just might include work from fashion’s next big thing—SAIC alumni include Halston, Gary Graham, and Cynthia Rowley. Rowley and her art aficionado husband Bill Powers are honored with the 2012 SAIC Legend of Fashion Award Thursday night at The Walk 2012, the grand finale runway show and gala. General admission tickets to the Fashion 2012 runway shows can be purchased at saic.edu/fashionshow. Choose the 9 a.m. dress rehearsal ($40), 12 p.m. show ($75), or the 3 p.m. show ($75). Or spring for The Walk 2012 (from $500) at 6 p.m.—call 312-499-4194 for tickets.
Top Sales This Week
K.Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com), a shop for the local designer Kristen Amato’s très feminine jewelry, is hosting a spring sample sale from 4 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 18. Hundreds of pieces are marked down to $5, $10, and $15. With all regularly priced pieces also on sale, this is an excuse to start accessorizing your summer wardrobe.
Modern Vintage Chicago (1340 W. Washington; 312-666-1200, modernvintagechicago.com) returns to the West Loop’s Plumbers Hall on Saturday, April 21 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, April 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with trunks of vintage clothing, costume jewelry, handbags, and accessories in tow. Local vendors Brett Benson, Go Fish Vintage, Jenstyle, Lulu’s, and Mr. Modern will be among the 75 merchants selling vintage pieces and indie designs. Look carefully and you could spot Hermès, Chanel, or Pucci among the second-time-around designer finds.
The Best of the Rest
- Post 27 (1819 W. Grand Ave.; 312-829-6122, post27store.com) is moving! Relax, design junkies—just to a smaller space across the street. Help them from hauling all those well-curated vintage pieces and that midcentury modern furniture to the new location by scoring a deal during their moving sale, which starts today, Tuesday, April 17, and runs through Sunday, April 29. Then mark your calendars for the grand re-opening party on Thursday, May 31 from 6 to 9 p.m. at 1818 West Grand Avenue.
- National Treat Yo’self Day—er, National Spa Week (spaweek.com)—takes place through Sunday, April 22 with treatments at dozens of spas in the city and suburbs discounted to a tempting $50. Book a stimulating facial peel at Exhale (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500, exhalespa.com), a luxe foot soak and pedicure at The Peninsula Chicago Spa (108 E. Superior St.; 312-573-6860, peninsula.com) or a mind-melting massage at Kohler Waters Spa at Burr Ridge (775 Village Center Dr.; 630-323-7674, destinationkohler.com).
- Sprout San Francisco (1943 W. Division St.; 773-489-0009, sproutsanfrancisco.com), a boutique for organic and natural baby gear, opens its first Chicago location in the space vacated by Grow with a grand opening party on Saturday, April 21 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Not to be confused with the Top Chef Dale Levitski’s restaurant (this Sprout is more playpen than prix fixe) the bash includes children’s music performances and organic snacks, as well as gift bags for the first 50 customers to make a purchase.
- Earth Day is coming up—trying to get your sustainably stylish act together? Eco-friendly boutique EmBo. (3432 N. Southport Ave.; 773-360-1501, shopembo.com) hosts a trunk show from 6 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, April 19 with Whether Bags, a Chicago-based designer that uses eco-friendly materials to create earth-conscious handbags and utility bags. Complimentary refreshments are served while you shop.
- Supreme Novelty Fabrics (2156 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-1030, supremefabrics.com), a fabric haven for fashion and interior designers, is hosting its biggest sale of the year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, April 23 through Saturday, April 28. Find 25 percent off all fabric and trim plus 50 to 70 percent off all closeout fabrics.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago