Photograph: courtesy of madewell
After debuting locations in Oak Brook and Skokie, Madewell (932 N. Rush St., 312-337-3815, madewell.com) makes good on its promise to set up shop in Chicago this week. Located on Rush Street in the old Starbucks building between Walton and Oak Streets, the new Gold Coast Madewell opens tomorrow at 10 a.m. You’ll want to be at the front of the line, because the first 150 shoppers will score a mystery gift card ranging from $10 to $500. That’s potentially a lot of dough to spend on denim—not to mention the perfectly fitted tees, chambray shirts, and vintage-inspired dresses the 76-year-old brand is known for.
Top Sales This Week
In celebration of its 25th anniversary, Architectural Artifacts (4325 N. Ravenswood Ave., 773-348-0622, architecturalartifacts.com) is staging a three-day mega-auction with more than 1,500 one-of-a-kind items for sale—from antique saloon bars to vintage chandeliers—with prices expected to range from $5 up to $100,000. The auction takes place Friday through Sunday, beginning at 10 a.m. each day.
It’s back: Fête (comefete.com), a nighttime food and design market that debuted back in December holds its second after-hours shopping event on Thursday from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at Room 1520 (1520 W. Fulton St.) in the West Loop. Your $5 ticket (available online or at the door) includes a complimentary glass of Virtue Cider or 5 Rabbit beer; or shell out $15 (available online only) for two additional cocktails from the Longman & Eagle pop-up bar. Click here to buy tickets.
The Best of the Rest
- The traveling Alexander McQueen spring 2013 collection makes its stop in Chicago at Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave., Level 3, 312-799-5350, saksfifthavenue.com) from Thursday through Sunday.
- An in-store flood caused River North boutique Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave., 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) to temporarily close last month, but that’s not stopping owner Alexis Cozzini from showcasing new summer inventory. She’s setting up a pop-up shop at the Waldorf Astoria (11 E. Walton St., Ste. 2502) on Thursday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The event is open to the public; RSVP to email@example.com.
- Paperish Mess (1955 W. Chicago Ave., 312-265-1497, paperishmess.com), a gallery and boutique in Ukrainian Village, hosts an art opening with Chicago-based ceramics artist Colleen Toledano (colleentoledano.com) on Saturday from 7 to 11 p.m. Live music, celebratory libations, and sweet treats will be supplied.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave., 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) holds a Gurhan (gurhan.com) trunk show in its newly renovated jewelry department on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The show will feature the designer’s gold and silver hammered designs—the largest assortment of Gurhan jewelry ever assembled.
- For its first sale in two years, Pagoda Red (pagodared.com) pulls out all the stops—marking pieces up to 80 percent off—for an event held at the shop’s warehouse (1740 W. Webster Ave.). Check out the selection of antique Chinese furniture, artifacts, and contemporary designs on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Spex (2146 N. Halsted St., 773-975-7867, spexchicago.com) holds an “ART+VISION” party with mixed media artist Damon Flint on Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. A trunk show with Tom Ford Eyewear and sunwear will be available for preview during the event.
- The Chicago-based online bridesmaid dress boutique Brideside (brideside.me) is celebrating its recent launch with a pop-up at the 900 North Michigan Shops (5th Floor, next to Bloomingdale’s). During the grand opening soiree (held Friday from 7 to 9 p.m.), you’ll be treated to hair and makeup services from Epoch Salon, chocolate treats from Vosges Haut-Chocolat, styling from Jessi Sheehan of evolve, and more. The pop-up shop will be open through the weekend; find all the info at brideside.me/pop-up-schedule.
4 days ago