Photo: chicago flea market
Walk This Way
More than 250 student-designed garments will hit the runway on Friday at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s annual fashion show in Millennium Park (Chase Promenade North, 201 E. Randolph St.). Now in its 79th year, the event has been a launching pad for SAIC alumni such as Cynthia Rowley, Halston, and Maria Pinto, and has hosted guests like designer Jason Wu and J.Crew creative director Jenna Lyons.
Three runway shows will take place throughout the day, culminating with THE WALK 2013, the grand finale runway show and benefit. Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte will receive the Legend of Fashion Award and ELLE Fashion News Director Anne Slowey will emcee the festivities. Purchase tickets to the 9 a.m. dress rehearsal ($40), 12 p.m. show ($75), 3 p.m. show ($75), or THE WALK 2013 at 5:30 p.m. ($500) at saicfashion.org.
New this year, student designs will be available for purchase after the shows at a pop-up shop at Block 37 (108 N. State St.). The store will be open for one week only, beginning May 10.
Top Sales This Week
A new open-air market in Wicker Park called Chicago Flea MKT (chicagofleamkt.com) will make its debut on Sunday, May 5, at A.N. Pritzker Elementary School’s 40,000-square-foot playground (2009 W. Schiller St.). The market will feature more than 50 midwest artisans hawking a mix of artwork, clothing, jewelry, accessories, food, vintage collections, and more. Gates are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and admission is free.
K.Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy., 312-882-1366, k-amato.com)—normally an appointment-only jewelry shop—will be open to the public tomorrow from 2 to 8 p.m. for the store’s annual spring sale. Prices on past collections are marked all the way down to $5, plus all new summer jewelry is discounted 30 percent for the event.
The Best of the Rest
- Check out a bridal runway show featuring BHLDN and Dimitra’s Bridal, sip Champagne at the Veuve Clicquot Bubbles Bar, and mingle with luxury wedding vendors at Brides, Bubbles and Bliss (bridesbubblesandbliss.com), held Wednesday, May 1, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Bridgeport Art Center Skyline Loft (1200 W. 35th St.). Tickets are available online ($50 for a bride/guest duo) or at the door ($45 per person); all proceeds benefit Heartland Alliance.
- Katie Hughes, the Global Colour Ambassador for butter LONDON, will make appearances at State Street’s Ulta (114 S. State St., 312-279-5081, ulta.com) on Thursday and at the store’s Oakbrook location (2155 W. 22nd St., Oakbrook, 630-573-9324) on Friday. Call Ulta to book a complimentary nail consultation and receive a special gift with any $50 butter LONDON product purchase, while supplies last.
- This Saturday, Linly Designs (445 W. Ogden Ave., Clarendon Hills, 630-769-5099, linlydesigns.com) hosts an outdoor expo to help you prep your patio for summer. Receive 20 percent off all in-store purchases and in-store furniture orders, as well as 15 percent off all outdoor furniture special orders from Thursday though Saturday.
- More than 400 fashion fans are expected to attend Chicago House’s annual Spring Brunch and Fashion Show at the Harold Washington Library (400 S. State St.). The show will feature spring looks from AZZA, Cram, Bonobos, Lulu’s On The Avenue, Suit Supply, Ramsey Prince Designs, and Ricorso. The event takes place on Sunday from noon to 3 p.m. Get your ticket ($300 for runway seating, $200 for garden seating) at chicagohouse.org.
- Home décor and fine tableware stores Char Crews (8 Grant Square, Hinsdale, 630-920-0190; 1515 Sheridan Rd., Wilmette, 847-256-5910, charcrews.com) are in the midst of a semi-annual sale. Nab in-store deals on Waterford Crystal (25 percent off) and save up to 50 percent on everyday china, select patterns of flatware, giftware and more, now through May 5.
Last weekend, beauty emporium Bluemercury (bluemercury.com) opened in Highland Park (638 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-432-7200). This is the chain’s fifth Chicagoland location.
2 weeks ago