Seems kids aren’t excluded from the recent explosion of shoe stores in the city. Sole Babies (2033 W. Division St.; 773-342-7653) in Wicker Park carries cute and orthopedically correct shoes for kids from first walkers to youth size 5 (which fits an 8 to 10 year old). Baraka and Teresa Nevels, the husband-and-wife team who owns the store, saw a need for quality children’s shoes sold outside department stores. The mostly European brands provide proper orthopedic support for children; the Nevels says that a good portion of their sales is shoes for babies who have just learned to walk, such as Pediped shoes, which are recommended for infant feet ($31.95), or Richter, with its adorable baby Mary Janes ($62.95). The shop is also the only independent shoe boutique to carry Nike’s infant line and a destination for the hard-to-find Catimini brand (look for the baby shoes adorned with Swarovski crystals, selling here for $118.95). Shoes for older kids come from Diesel, Roxy Girl, and Lelli Kelly, which makes a great pair of metallic boots for fall. Any kid that watches Nickelodeon will recognize the heavily advertised Geox, designed to “breathe” as the kid plays; the pink sequin model is $59. (The average price storewide is $65.) Even if you aren’t shoe shopping, feel free to visit the store to check out the stroller-friendly play area that includes a 90-gallon saltwater tank filled with crabs and snails. The Nevels don’t mind if families stop by to play.
Top Sales of the Week
Glamorama goes country this year with the theme “The Good, The Bad, and The Beautiful.” Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-902-1500) hosts its second Glamorama event; the fashion show will feature designers Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Just Cavalli, and Michael Kors, among others; MuzikMafia, comprising country acts Gretchen Wilson, Big & Rich, and Cowboy Troy, headlines. Red carpet arrivals start at 6:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. on August 24th at The Chicago Theatre (175 N. State St.; 312-559-1212). The after party at the State Street store continues the Wild West theme with barbecue and a mechanical bull. Tickets start at $50 for the fashion show, and $195 for the show and after party at the State Street store. Proceeds benefit The Art Institute of Chicago. Visit macys.com/glamorama for more information.
EXCLUSIVE CONTEST FOR SALES CHECK READERS: Enter to win a gift basket of items from the Junk Gypsy outpost in the first floor “Glam Shops.” Junk Gypsy, a national brand out of Texas, makes country-inspired big jewelry, graphic tees, and belt buckles. Just e-mail a photo of yourself wearing your best interpretation of this year’s “Country Couture” theme. Send the photo by noon on Thursday, August 23rd to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, phone number, and e-mail and mailing addresses. The winner will be contacted by Thursday afternoon.
In conjunction with the Bucktown Arts Fest, the merchants of Bucktown team up for a sidewalk sale on August 25th and 26th. Nearly 50 shops along Damen Avenue, Division Street, Milwaukee Avenue and North Avenue offer last-call sales on summer merchandise. Stores include p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523); Hejfina (1529 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-772-0002); Helen Yi (1645 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-3838); and Stitch (1723 N. Damen Ave.; 773-782-1570). The sale runs 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
The Best of the Rest
- National furniture chain Arhaus (Oak Brook Promenade, 3041 Butterfield Rd., Oakbrook; 630-571-3991) opens its first Chicagoland location on August 24th in Oakbrook. A Lincoln Park location is slated to open this fall.
- Adorable clothing boutique Mint Julep (1013 W. Armitage Ave., 773-296-2997) has opened a second location at 3709 North Southport Avenue (773-472-6717).
- Emerging-designer boutique Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093) celebrates its anniversary with 20 percent off the entire store on August 25th and 26th.
- Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) celebrates its first anniversary on August 25th and 26th with 20 percent off merchandise storewide, including fall arrivals from maternity lines Cadeau, Momzee, and Chaiken, as well as items that rarely go on sale including Paige maternity jeans and Storksak diaper bags.
- The feminine, fun styles from Milly will be on display at a trunk show at Samantha (64 E. Walton St.; 312-951-5383) from August 24th through 26th.
- Men’s store TK Men (1909 W. North Ave.; 773-342-9800) celebrates its first birthday on August 23rd from 6 to 9 p.m. All guests receive a discount for the night and first dibs on the latest fall collections.
- Art gallery and boutique The Beat of My Art (329 N. Center St., Naperville; 630-848-1128) hosts a grand-opening celebration on August 24th and 25th. The shop carries the collage art from owner Debbie Egizio as well as that of 15 other local and emerging artists who create art, purses, and jewelry.
- The Chicago Antique Market (Randolph Street between Ada and Ogden; 312-951-9939) returns August 25th and 26th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and in honor of the “dog days of summer,” pets are welcome at the market. (Dog treats and a selection of pet-themed merchandise will be available, and the Lake Shore Animal Shelter will host an adoption event.) General admission is $8; early bird buying at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday is $20.
- Flavorfest (Jonquil Park, 1023 W. Wrightwood Ave.), an all-natural food festival hosted by Whole Foods Market offers samples of free organic food and drink, cooking demonstrations, entertainment, and all kinds of swag. The fest runs August 25th from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and August 26th from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Ready for a new pet? Piggy Toes (2205 N. Halsted St.; 773-281-5583) teams up with PAWS Chicago for an adoption event. Find dogs, cats, puppies and kittens on August 26th from noon to 4 p.m.
- Break out that flashlight. It’s time for the Wheaton All-Night Flea Market on August 25th from 5 p.m. until 4 a.m. at the DuPage County Fairgrounds (2015 W. Manchester, Wheaton; 715-526-9769), with dealers offering antiques, collectibles, jewelry, and more. Admission is $6.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900 x4024) hosts a Prada handbag trunk show with fall styles that may not be available in stores. The show runs August 23rd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the designer handbags area on the first floor.
- Chicago Fashion Week sponsors Self-Indulgence, a showcase of jewelry, shoes, hats, furs, scarves, purses, and boots from local designers. Shop the caravan at One Prudential Plaza (130 E. Randolph St.; 312-637-9760) on August 24th and 25th from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The American Craft Exposition features artwork from more than 150 artisans August 24th through 26th at Northwestern University (at the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion, 2311 Campus Dr.). Three-day admission is $15. Call 847-570-5096 for more information.
- Choose elements of your own jewelry at Flirt (3449 N. Southport Ave.; 773-935-4789) on August 25th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the Michelle Starbuck custom-designed-jewelry trunk show.
- Need better than a snapshot of your pooch? Get a portrait taken by pet photographer Rhonda Holcomb at Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341). For an appointment on August 22nd between 4 and 8 p.m., register by calling the store; cost per sitting is $70.
- The Port Clinton Art Festival, one of the best new-art showcases in the country, runs August 25th from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on August 26th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; the fair takes place along Central Avenue, and First and Second streets in Highland Park, and features the work of 260 juried artists. The Taste of Highland Park happens in conjunction with the event. Call 847-926-4300 for more information.
- Take 50 percent off Scott Barnes cosmetics through August 24th at Raizy (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-2221). Also receive a complimentary eyebrow shaping with $100 cosmetics purchase.
- Personal stylist Erin Carpenter hosts a free seminar “What Should I Wear: Dress With Confidence for the Body You Have Now.” Learn how to highlight your best assets and how to shop while losing weight. The seminar starts at 6 p.m. on August 22nd at Curves (3143 W. Fullerton Ave.; 773-384-9200).
2 weeks ago