Follow us on Twitter! The newly created twitter.com/salescheck features updates on latest and greatest shopping sales and events in the Chicago area seven days a week.
Combining their love for classic cinema with elements of design, lifelong friends and Chicago multimedia artists Ryan Barkan and Dave Yakir launched belowtheCollar.com (773-687-0520), a movie-inspired T-shirt company, in mid-June. “All the movie shirts out there are mainstream. We wanted to create shirts that aren’t,” says Barkan, the graphic designer who started One Hour Tees (3056 N. Oakley Ave.; 773-687-0520, onehourtees.com), a T-shirt printing company, a few years back. The current collection features a majority of digital print shots, such as Tom Hanks screaming, “There’s no crying in baseball!” at one of his female ballplayers in A League of Their Own and a double silhouette of Clint Eastwood holding a gun, inspired by the movie Dirty Harry. Others consist of Barkan and Yakir’s own creations, like the “106 miles to Chicago” T-shirt, which juxtaposes a pair of sunglasses and a pack of Marlboros with the famous quote from The Blues Brothers. “Not everyone’s gonna know this stuff, and that’s why it’s for the movie buffs,” says Barkan, who wants to focus strictly on classics rather than blockbusters. Unless on sale or clearance, all pre-shrunk cotton shirts—from sizes small to double extra large in any color (cream, heather grey, light blue, silver, white)—cost $19.99 each with free shipping. Save 10 percent on by entering coupon code “JCVD” at online checkout; shoppers who order three or more shirts at once may enter “Belowme” to get 25 percent off.
Top Sales This Week
The second annual ShopAround on Damen Avenue runs Thursday, August 20th from 4 to 7 p.m. Shoppers receive a gift bag and up to 25 percent at all participating boutiques, including p.45 (p45.com), Veruca Salt (shopverucasalt.com), Psychobaby (psychobabyonline.com), and LeSportsac (lesportsac.com). The ShopAround after-party at Northside Bar & Grill (1635 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-3555, northsidechicago.com) offers complimentary appetizers and cocktails starting at 7 p.m. For tickets, $30, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-451-7953. All ticket sales and 5 percent of merchandise sales go to Dress for Success (dressforsuccess.org).
Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) hosts Glamorama, an annual fashion and entertainment show, at the Chicago Theatre (175 N. State St.; 312-462-6300, thechicagotheatre.com) Friday, August 21st at 8 p.m. This year’s event includes collections from Jean Paul Gaultier, Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti, and Marc Jacobs as well as performances by musical artists Ne-Yo and Jadyn Maria. Tickets ($50 to $1,000) are available at ticketmaster.com. Event proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana (rmhccni.org). A post-party follows on the seventh floor of Macy’s.
The Chicago Indie Collection, a pop-up boutique with one-of-a-kind merchandise from 19 independent Chicago designers including See Jane Sparkle (seejanesparkle.com) and Vfish (vfishdesigns.com), happens Saturday, August 22nd from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, August 23rd from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The boutique will be in courtyard near Crate & Barrel and Lord & Taylor at Oakbrook Center (100 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-573-0700, oakbrookcenter.com).
The Rockaholic fashion fest and fashion show highlights local fashions, music, food, and cocktails Saturday, August 22nd at Moonshine (1824 W. Division St.; 773-862-8686, moonshinechicago.com). The event begins at noon with an outdoor shopping market and vendor fashion shows throughout the day; it concludes with the Rockaholic fashion show at 9 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- Celebrating its new Chicago showroom, Ssaucy Inc. (5027 N. Broadway St.; 708-439-7192, ssaucy.net) holds a mini fashion show with clothing, shoes, and jewelry from local designers on Saturday, August 22nd. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; the fashion show is at 1 p.m.
- Caroline DeVillo (1616 N. Damen Ave.; 773-342-0096, carolinedevillo.com) hosts its semi-annual sample sale, featuring 30 to 70 percent off handmade, couture gowns on Saturday, August 22nd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, August 23rd from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Lincoln Park Young Professionals (lp-yp.com) host a fall fashion event at Banana Republic (744 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-0020, bananarepublic.gap.com) Thursday, August 20th from 6 to 8 p.m. The event includes discounts on fall clothing and new jewelry from Chic Gems, etc. (chicgemsetc.com), raffles, gift bags, massages, cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, desserts, and more. Tickets, $25 each, are available at going.com/bananarepublic.
- Mount Sinai Hospital Women’s Board Resale Shop (814 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 773-935-1434, sinai.org) hosts its sixth annual Half Off Everything in the Store Sale with 50 percent off furniture, household items, clothing, books, and jewelry on Thursday, August 20th. Profits from the Mount Sinai Resale Shop benefit Mount Sinai Hospital and Sinai Children’s Hospital.
- Take 25 percent off all T-shirts at Fly Bird (719 Lake St., Oak Park; 708-383-3330, fly-bird.net) through Monday, August 31st. Mention “Sales Check” to get the discount.
- K.Amato (k-amato.com) offers 30 percent off its fall jewelry collection during its fifth annual summer sample sale on Wednesday, August 19th from 4 to 9 p.m. at the store (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 312-882-1366) and Thursday, August 20th from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Omni Hotel (676 N. Michigan Ave., 3rd floor; 312-944-6664). Both events feature clearance accessories for $5 to $30.
- The third installment of Fashion Focus Chicago’s Fashion Café Series features Chicago-based children’s designers, including Doodlebug and CourtneyCourtney (courtneycourtney.com), at the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.; 312-346-3278, chicagofashionresource.com) on Thursday, August 20th from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Tula (3738 N. Southport Ave.; 773-549-2876, tulaboutique.com) holds an Inhabit trunk show and fall preview with refreshments and collections by Nicole Farhi (nicolefarhi.com), Hache, Gróa (groa.dk), and more Thursday, August 20th through Sunday, August 23rd.
- Along Glenwood Avenue at Morse Avenue, the eighth annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (773-761-4477 x701, glenwoodave.org) features about 100 arts and crafts vendors, live music, and entertainment. The kick-off event is Friday, August 21st; the arts fest is Saturday, August 22nd and Sunday, August 23rd.
- Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093, habitchicago.com) takes 20 percent off all merchandise Saturday, August 22nd and Sunday, August 23rd.
- Bring a pair of gently used jeans to Barneys New York (15 E. Oak St.; 312-587-1700, barneys.com) or Barneys Co-Op (2209 N. Halsted St.; 773-248-0426) and receive 20 percent off any new pair.
- Spex (4418 W. Diversey Ave.; 773-736-6800, spexchicago.com) holds a ProDesign trunk show on Thursday, August 20th from 1 to 5 p.m. Attendees may enter to win a free gift from the Danish frame and sunglasses company.
1 week ago