Two Birds, One Stone
When north suburban twins Mary Sirois and Molly Kiefer decided to create their own business, they kept family and unity in mind. The result: Mia Sorella (104 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-842-5009, mia-sorella.com), or ‘my sister’ in Italian, a relatively new combination salon and boutique located in the heart of downtown Barrington. “We wanted to make a place where you felt like you were shopping and getting beauty tips from your sisters,” says Kiefer. Opening in March, Mia Sorella primarily caters to women in their 30s and 40s with everything from active wear to cocktail dresses. “We look for clothing lines that have a very feminine, fun, and trendy look to them,” Kiefer says. The current selection includes a long sleeve cardigan in prune by Velvet ($88), a retro stripe dress with short sleeves and banded waist from Three Dots ($152), and the newly added MiH mid-rise kick flare jeans in vintage blue ($222). Meanwhile, the salon’s services, which are set to expand later this month, include women’s haircuts ($50); chin, eyebrows, or lip waxing ($25); and makeup application (from $60). Like other salons and boutiques, Mia Sorella offers personal shoppers, wine, coffee, and at-home consultations by request. But it also has a children’s entertainment area, which includes a TV and PlayStation, jelly beans, juice boxes, toys, small chairs, and movies. “Mary and I both have kids so we know what it’s like to just want them to ‘hold on for just one second!’” Kiefer says. “This way, while the mom is shopping, kids have something to look at or play with.” Women looking to leave the kids at home can schedule their own girls’ night out, with 10 percent off all services and merchandise.
Top Sales This Week
The first Good Glam Gala (2150 S. Canalport Ave.; goodglamgala.com) features cocktails, appetizers, desserts, fashion show, raffle, and shopping on Friday, August 7th from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Tickets, $50, are available at goodglamgala.com. All ticket sales and a portion of shopping sales go toward the Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago (bgcc.org).
L’Etoile Salon and Spa (2903 N. Broadway St.; 773-472-0883, letoilesalon.com) hosts Green Revolution: A Night of Organic Beauty, Fashion and Wellness on Tuesday, August 11th at 6 p.m. at Green Dolphin Street (2200 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-395-0066, jazzitup.com). The free event features appetizers, organic wine, beauty demonstrations, wellness and nutrition lectures, organiK Revolution (organikrevolution.com) fashions, and more. RSVP in advance to email@example.com.
The Best of the Rest
- His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway St.; 773-281-6111, hisstuffchicago.com) takes up to 80 percent off jeans, dress shirts, pants, and more at its Lake View location August 8th and 9th from 12 to 6 p.m.
- As part of PrettyCity.com’s National Pampering Day, Channing’s Day Spa (54 E. Oak St.; 312-951-8255, channings.com) and Flirty Girl Fitness (1325 W. Randolph St.; 312-666-2266, chicago.flirtygirlfitness.com) offer special discounts on Tuesday, August 4th. For a full list of participating salons and their offers, visit prettycity.com/pampering.
- White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) and its online extension, WhiteXchange.com, host “Consign & Dine” throughout August. The first 20 brides who consign their used wedding gown online or in-store receive a $75 gift certificate to Scoozi (410 W. Huron St.; 312-943-5900, leye.com).
- Book a one-hour or longer massage at Continuum Studio (5671 N. Clark St.; 773-728-7883, continuumstudio.com) and receive a complimentary CS Express facial or Sexy Back treatment. Clients may also receive a free 30-minute massage or Sexy Back treatment with any regular skin care treatment. To schedule an appointment, call 773-728-7883.
- The Golden Triangle (330 N. Clark St.; 312-755-1266, goldentriangle.biz) celebrates 20 years with its first-ever warehouse sale from Friday, August 7th through Saturday, August 15th. The event features up to 50 percent off antique and custom-designed pieces, including armoires, desks, tables, beds, lamps, stone garden elements, chairs, woodcarvings, and lithographs.
- In honor of its 10-year anniversary, Trellis & Trugs (1009 Green Bay Rd.; 847-784-6910, trellisandtrugs.com) offers discounts on garden antiques, ornaments, fountains, and more through Saturday, August 29th.
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) takes 20 to 60 percent off selected merchandise through Sunday, August 23rd.
- Less than two months after housing Cheeky Fine Lingerie (847-433-4900, shopcheeky.com), E Street Denim Company (1876 First St., Highland Park; 847-433-8338, estreetdenim.com) opens Extras (847-668-9286), an accessories-only concept boutique, on Friday, August 7th. The new space carries Surly Girl Studios handbags, Willy & Irv jewelry, Italian leather belts from Mali Sabatasso, and more.
- TwentyThirtyForty.net (773-857-6444) discounts its summer collections by up to 50 percent.
- Throughout August and September, Spa Soak (1733 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-395-9000, spasoakchicago.com) takes 20 percent off the 75-minute ‘Look Better Naked Body Facial’ treatment. Clients who book the treatment also receive a complimentary special ‘Look Better Naked’ take-home product. To schedule an appointment, call 773-395-9000.
- Urban Joe (3324 N. Clark St.; 773-529-5637, urbanjoe.com) opens a second location at 1925 West Division Street, Thursday, August 6th. In celebration, the shop offers “8-buck-cuts” (normally $29) to first-time clients through Saturday, August 15th.
- Save 30 to 75 percent on all summer merchandise at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) Thursday, August 6th through Sunday, August 9th.
1 week ago