The Art of Be.ing
Lifelong friends Alison Smetana and Linda Horwitz have always shared an interest in the power of positive thinking. So after years of working with kids on projects designed to promote that message, the pair—Smetana, an occupational therapist, and Horwitz, a special education instructor—launched be.ology (847-272-3571, beologyonline.com), an inspirational lifestyle company. “The mind and body are very connected, so we wanted to put out messages that have positive effects,” says Smetana. Be.ology started in 2005 with an assortment of inspirational statement T-shirts that play off the company’s name, including be.you, be.kind, be.peaceful, and be.grateful. “We started with T-shirts because that’s what people wear and encounter every day,” Smetana says. Since then, be.ology has added phrases to an array of home and fashion accessories from soy candles to baseball caps. In the next few weeks, two new statements—be.one and be.awesome—will launch and the popular retired slogan be.free will return. Also in September, look for this year’s holiday shirt called be.peaceful. All available at beologyonline.com, the company’s goods can also be found at Aphora Day Spa (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240), Royal Appointments (2048 Northbrook Ct., Northbrook; 847-559-8111), Vintage Charm (729 W. Hillgrove, LaGrange; 708-354-1553), and more than a dozen other boutiques in the Chicagoland area.
Top Sales This Week
The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com) features fashion accessories starting at $5, décor accessories starting at $20, and furniture starting at $50 from more than 60 vendors at the Congress Theater (2135 N. Milwaukee Ave.) on Sunday, August 22nd.
Bring new or gently used items to The 900 Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com) Thursday, August 19th, through Sunday, August 22nd, and for each donation receive a Share & Shop Savings Pass worth 15 percent off one item at any of the nearly 30 participating stores (for a list of participants, visit shop900.com/share&shop). The first 100 customers to donate also receive a goody bag; all donators will be entered to win a $500 shopping spree at The 900 Shops. The event is held to benefit Dress for Success Chicago, Share Your Soles, and The Glass Slipper Project.
The Best of the Rest
- K. Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com) holds a jewelry sample sale featuring more than 2,000 pieces, on Wednesday, August 18th, from 5 to 8 p.m., at the Omni Hotel (676 N. Michigan Ave.), and Thursday, August 19th, from 4 to 8:30 p.m., at K. Amato. Find items as low as $5, and save 30 percent on all new fall jewelry.
- Mention “Hot for Teacher” at Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) through Thursday, September 16th, and receive 20 percent off all apparel.
- Color Wheel Studio (2016 W Concord Pl.; 773-661-1743; thecolorwheelstudio.com), a Bucktown art studio for children, holds its grand opening with snacks on Thursday, August 19th, from 4 to 8 pm.
- Book a 50- or 80-minute facial at the spa at the dana (660 N. State St.; 312-202-6040, danahotelandspa.com/spa) for any Monday or Tuesday this month, and receive a complimentary microdermabrasion treatment. Visit danahotelandspa.com/spa or call 312-202-6040 for an appointment.
- EXTRAS at E Street Denim (1876 First St., Highland Park; 847-668-9286) hosts the designer Michelle Seigel of Blake Scott jewelry on Friday, August 20th, and Saturday, August 21st.
- Kathryn Alcock of Tiny Polka Dots teaches kids how to make monogram dog tags at M and Em’s (460 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-6040, mandems.com) on Tuesday, August 17th, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets, $14 ($2 off each additional child); call 630-469-6040 to reserve a spot.
- The 5th Annual Chicago Sister Cities International Festival (chicagosistercities.com) features merchandise from Ghana, Jordan, India, Ireland, France, Mexico and more, Monday, August 23rd, through Friday, August 27th, from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Millennium Park (55 N. Michigan Ave.).
- The “Find Your Bridal Style” event at Susan Fredman At Home in the City (350 W. Erie St.; 312-587-8150, susanfredmanathome.com) features the latest wedding gowns from Belle Vie Bridal Couture and Vera Wang as well as jewelry, invitations, and more, Thursday, August 19th, from 5 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP at susanfredman.com/events.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) holds a Rebecca Taylor fall trunk show on Wednesday, August 18th,from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Guests receive a complimentary goodie bag and the chance to win a Bliss Spa package with any Rebecca Taylor purchase.
Attention Sales Check readers: We want your feedback! Why do you subscribe to this newsletter? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Are there sales and shopping events at Chicagoland stores that we’re missing? Please send your tips, complaints, and comments to email@example.com.
4 days ago
3 weeks ago