Bright and Bubbly
The interior designer Crystal Blackshaw of Blackshaw Designs first started repurposing vintage and antique furniture after having her daughter; in June, she launched Chic Antique (3435 N. Broadway Ave.; 773-857-2695, chicantiquechicago.com). At the boutique, you’ll find modish, colorful vintage antique jewelry ($4 to $45); accessories and furniture ($5 to $200); and dressers ($250 to $600). “Everything is typically under $500,” says Blackshaw. One of our favorite pieces is an antique buffet cabinet in red with an ebony interior ($475). In addition to the eye-popping furniture, Chic Antique features murals by Amanda Paulson on the walls through September 30th. Can’t find anything you like in the store? Go to Blackshaw’s nearby art studio (by appointment only) at 632 West Addison Street, where you can look at unfinished pieces and ask Blackshaw to customize one for you. Blackshaw can also refinish or paint a piece you already own. “Send a picture of what you want done with details on the changes you’d like made, and I’ll send you an all-inclusive bid sheet that includes the pickup date, and price of paint and work,” she says.
Top Sales This Week
Renew Spa (980 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-526-3891, renewspachicago.com) offers exclusive discounts for Sales Check readers through Sunday, September 19th. Get a one-hour massage, manicure, and pedicure for $99; a one-hour massage and renew cleansing facial for $129; a one-hour massage for $65 (normally $85); a 90-minute massage for $95 (normally $125); a manicure and pedicure for $40 (normally $55); and 15 percent off nails, facials, waxing, body wraps, and other services. Call 312-526-3891 for an appointment; mention “Chicago magazine” to receive discount.
Luxe Lifestyle Productions (luxelifestyleproductions.com) holds a Black and White Labor Day Weekend kickoff party with an M.Go Fashion Salon (1754 W. Division St.; 773-772-2772, mgofashion.com) fashion show, open bar, hors d’oeuvres, and music at Sawtooth (1350 W. Randolph St.; 312-526-3320) on Wednesday, September 1st from 7 to 11 p.m. Tickets are $40 online at blackandwhitelaborday.eventbrite.com or $50 at the door. Event proceeds go to The Princess in You Foundation.
The Best of the Rest
- Save 50 percent on teas and discontinued and overstock teaware at Todd & Holland Tea Merchants (7311 W. Madison St., Forest Park; 708-488-1162, todd-holland.com), from Saturday, September 4th, to Saturday, September 11th.
- Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago) celebrates Labor Day weekend, Friday, September 3rd through Monday, September 6th, with extra discounts at more than 120 stores, including 30 to 50 percent off at Tommy Hilfiger and 25 percent off new arrivals at Jones New York. Visit premiumoutlets.com/chicago for a full list of participating stores and their discounts.
- White CHICAGO (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) hosts its annual “Consign & Dine” event. The first 20 brides to consign their gown in September, either at the boutique or online at whiteXchange.com, receive a $75 gift certificate to Scoozi! (410 W. Huron St.; 312-943-5900).
- The Salon at ULTA (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) offers discounts on two new services for first-time buyers: the 80-minute Cinderella facial is $150 (normally $170) and the 50-minute Butterfly facial is $100 (normally $120).
- Find the latest fall fashions at the UGG Australia (909 N. Rush St.; 312-255-1280, uggaustralia.com) shopping event on Thursday, September 2nd from 6 to 9 p.m. To be added to the guest list, e-mail RSVP@skirtpr.com.
- The exclusive, limited-edition Vena Cava for Aqua collection ($98 to $198) debuts at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 376 Old Orchard Shopping Center, Skokie; 312-440-4515, bloomingdales.com) on Wednesday, September 1st. On Saturday, September 11th, spend at least $200 on Aqua to receive a Vena Cava for Aqua tote.
- The Shop @ Equinox (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-254-2500; 799 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-681-7777; 1750 N. Clark St., 312-254-4000; 200 W. Monroe St., 312-252-3100; equinox.com) holds its Last Dip summer sale with up to 50 percent off performance apparel and accessories through Monday, September 6th. Shoppers who spend $100 can buy a pair of Havaianas flip flops for $1.
- Find discounts on Pine Cone Hill, Peacock Alley, White Linen, and Traditions bedding at Designs by Maida (105A E. Van Buren St., Woodstock; 815-337-2046, designsbymaida.com) Friday, September 3rd through Sunday, September 5th.
Before the store closes at the end of September, get at least 60 percent off garments at Borrow A Dress Couture (3221 N. Sheffield Ave.; 773-904-8735, shopbadc.com).
23 hours ago
2 weeks ago