Get ready for some competition, eBay and Amazon. Lesley Tweedie, owner of Roscoe Village Bikes, recently launched an online marketplace of sale-only items from independent boutiques. Appropriately named Little Independent (littleindependent.com), the site is dedicated to helping shop owners better market their hard-to-sell items. “Everyone has a sales rack, and sometimes items just linger a little too long,” says Tweedie, who came up with the concept shortly after having a hard time selling a high-end bike helmet at her brick-and-mortar location. “We give locally owned businesses the opportunity to leverage a wider audience online to help them turn inventory quicker.” Since launching in June, Little Independent has compiled a roster of nearly 30 boutiques from the Chicago area. Find everything from edible shimmering body powder ($12; originally $22), via Early to Bed (5232 N. Sheridan Rd.; 773-271-1219, early2bed.com), to a Micralite FastFold Superlite stroller ($229, originally $299.95), from Bellybum Boutique (4347 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-868-0944, bellybumboutique.com). All items posted on Little Independent are at least 10 percent off their initial brick-and-mortar price. “It’s kind of like seeing everyone’s sale rack in one place,” Tweedie says.
Top Sales This Week
Stitch (1723 N. Damen Ave.; 773-782-1570, stitchchicago.com) offers 20 percent off Gus* Essentials upholstery through Sunday, August 14.
Stop by the Topman/Topshop truck outside Lollapalooza for a fashion scarf and the chance to win a $1,500 shopping spree at Topshop. From Friday to Sunday, August 5–7, the truck will be located around the perimeter of Grant Park between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- StyleChicago (stylechicago.com) hosts An Evening of Modern Beauty on Wednesday, August 17, from 6 to 9 p.m., at Venue One (1044 W. Randolph St.). In its third year, the girls’-night-out event features complimentary spa and beauty treatments from more than 25 brands, sushi rolls by RA Sushi, cocktails, wine, and more. General admission tickets are $25. VIP tickets ($45) include goody bags filled with products and discounts as well as early check-in. Must purchase tickets in advance; call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com.
- Save up to 60 percent on floor sample designs at BoConcept (1901 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-388-2900, boconcept.us) through Wednesday, August 31. The store also takes 20 percent off all Terni and Quattro sofas this month, as well as selected dining tables, chairs, and sideboards.
- Grow (1943 W. Division St.; 773-489-0009, grow-kids.com) continues to celebrate its fifth anniversary with weekly deals throughout August, starting with 20 percent off footed sleepers, footed kimono sets, and jumpsuits through Sunday, August 7. From August 8 to August 14, take 20 percent off mobiles, rugs, and wall art; August 15 through August 21, take 15 percent off strollers and highchairs. August 22 through August 28, take 15 percent off crib and twin mattresses. August 29 through September 4, take 15 percent off all cribs.
- Save 30 to 75 percent on clothing, jewelry, and accessories at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) Thursday, August 4, through Sunday, August 7.
- Eye Spy Optical (3350 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-477-2670, eyespyoptical.com) offers its annual August Sunglasses and More Sale, with 10 to 50 percent off nearly every pair of sunglasses in the store all month.
- Celebrate the grand opening of the new Impulse Beauty Department at Macy’s Woodfield (One Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg; 847-706-6000, macys.com) on Friday, August 5, and Saturday, August 6. Spend $35 and receive a free gift.
- Leslie Hindman (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its next Fine Books and Manuscripts auction on Tuesday, August 9.
Closings and Relocations
For a limited time, Burberry (312-787-2500, burberry.com) will be located at 540 North Michigan Avenue. It will remain there until its longtime quarters (633 N. Michigan Ave.) get renovated and reopen as a five-story flagship.
1 week ago
4 weeks ago