Kickin’ (2120 N. Halsted St.; 773-525-2120, kickinmaternity.com), a locally owned boutique in Roscoe Village that offers maternity active wear and contemporary maternity apparel, opened its second location last month in Lincoln Park. “We haven’t fully reached everyone in Chicago yet,” says owner Trudy Robinson Foley, who also runs the shoe shop À Pied (2037 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2210). “Having a boutique on Halsted will help us increase that reach.” The Lincoln Park store, closer to the Loop, features clothing and accessories unavailable at the Roscoe Village location, such as diaper bags ($200 and up) from the London-based company Koochu. Other European items, including nursing sweaters and maternity dresses ($90 to $190) from the Danish brand Milker, will be introduced in September. New selections of active wear ($49 to $99), such as the Fit 2 B Mom workout clothing line, also will be available: “We’re still all about great active wear—from biking shorts to swimsuits,” Robinson Foley says. Alongside maternity clothes, shoppers can still find a mix of baby gear (such as baby carriers, from $139) and accessories (including toys, from $20), as well as clothing ($29 to $59) for infants and children up to 24 months old. Kickin’ holds a grand opening party (with music, food, discounts, and giveaways) for its Halsted store on Thursday, September 8 from 6 to 9:30 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
Macy’s Glamorama 2011 (macys.com/passport) features the latest fall fashions from Jean Paul Gaultier, Marc Jacobs, and Sonia Rykiel—as well as a live performance from singer and songwriter Cee Lo Green—at Chicago Theatre (175 N. State St.; 312-462-6300) on Friday, August 12 at 8 p.m. Tickets ($50 to $1,000) are available via ticketmaster.com. Proceeds go to Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Find hundreds of $5 to $15 clearance items, in addition to a 30 percent discount on new fall styles, during a K. Amato sample sale on Wednesday, August 10 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Omni Hotel (676 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6664) and Thursday, August 11 from 4 to 8:30 p.m. at the K. Amato boutique (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy; 312-882-1366, k-amato.com).
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) hosts a Lana Jewelry trunk show on Thursday, August 11 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sine Qua Non Salon (sinequanonsalon.com for locations) offers a limited number of free blow-dries on Monday, August 22 and Tuesday, August 23. Email your contact information and a recent photo of your hair to email@example.com with the subject line “Free Blow Dries” for the chance to participate.
- Sign your kids up for the children’s workshop series at Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) to receive 20 percent off anything in the store during your next visit.
- Spex (104 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-323-1100, spexchicago.com) holds an opening reception for the next installment of its “Art + Vision” series, with mixed media paintings by Laura Cartwright, on Friday, August 12 from 5 to 8 p.m. The event features drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and a Tom Ford eyewear trunk show.
- AllSaints (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-283-0400, us.allsaints.com) hosts a mobile pop-up shop with previous seasons’ styles during Built Festival (builtforart.com) at 1767 North Milwaukee Avenue on Friday, August 12 and Saturday August 13. General admission to the festival is $10 at the door.
- Dose Market (dosemarket.com) returns to the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St.; 312-321-1001) with more than 20 new vendors—including Bodkin, an environmentally friendly clothing line based in New York—on Sunday, August 14. Tickets are $8 in advance at dosemarket.com or $10 at the door.
- The traveling designer sample sale Re.Stock Shop (1452 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 312-243-9434, restockshop.com) touches down in the West Loop at 1047 West Madison Street on Friday, August 12.
1 week ago