The new Andersonville Galleria (5247 N. Clark St.; 773-878-8570) lets you shop local with less legwork by combining the wares of more than 40 artists in one three-floor, loft-like space. Here you’ll find stall after stall of everything from fine art to T-shirts to toffee. The nice selection of artists and designers also includes many that are usually only available online, such as world-shoppe.com. Hand-printed tees from Novem Studios include a black one with a graphic silver el ($25). You’ll find vases and sconces from the Streeterville florist City Scents; antiques, such as the fun and kitschy assortment from Vintage Swank; Chicago-themed coasters from Denise Riesen ($35 for four); and fine art from boldly graphic oils to photography. This one-stop shopping galleria is so inspired, we hope it catches on in other neighborhoods. The top floor is scheduled to open, with 45 more stalls, in the spring. Check out the store at Lat-er Night Andersonville on Dec. 13th from 6 to 10 p.m., when the businesses along Clark Street stay open late for holiday shopping.
Top Sales This Week
Do you miss the Chicago Antique Market? It’s back, albeit in a different form, for the holidays. The Modern Vintage Holiday Market, a bazaar of 75 vendors selling modern and vintage jewelry, handbags, clothing, home accents, and ornaments runs Dec. 15th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Dec. 16th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 2301 North Clark Street (formerly the Tower Records space). Admission is $10; gift wrap is complimentary. Twenty percent of the proceeds benefits the U.S.O. Visit chicagoantiquemarket.com for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- Roslyn (2035 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-1311) holds a Christmas sale from Dec. 13th through 24th. Take an ornament from the Christmas tree (each will be marked with percentages between 10 and 25) to receive corresponding discounts on full priced merchandise from brands such as Vera Wang’s Lavender label and Christensen and Sigersen.
- Jainn hosts a Holiday Fashion Fantasy with cocktails, appetizers, and holiday fashion on Dec. 14th at Rednofive (440 N. Halsted St.). The time to shop runs from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m., concluding with a runway show of accessories from Gray Boutique and Revolver at 11:15 p.m. Free; early entry at 8 p.m. is $5 and includes a gift bag and raffle ticket. RSVP to email@example.com. After 11 p.m., entry is $20.
- Samantha (64 E. Walton St.; 312-951-5383) offers 25 percent off purchases and hosts a trunk show with local designer Dana Levy’s Dana Rebecca jewelry on Dec. 15th.
- Bring the gifts you need to wrap to the Green Gift Wrapping Bash, part of Lat-er Night Andersonville, to use recycled materials such as blueprints, movie posters and maps to wrap on Dec. 13th from 6 to 10 p.m. at the new Big Jones restaurant (5347 N. Clark St.)
- Ciao Bella (3829 N. Southport Ave.; 773-388-2201) holds a holiday sale through Dec. 24th with 30 to 50 percent off selected merchandise.
- Shop for art, posters, T shirts, toys, and accessories (many under $50) at the Firebelly Art Market on Dec. 15th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 2701 West Thomas Street on the second floor. Admission is free, and 50 percent of sales will be donated to the Illinois Safe Schools alliance. Visit firebellydesign.com/artmarket.php for more information.
- Alessi (611 N. State St.; 312-274-6500) offers complimentary coffee and tea in-store on weekdays from 5 to 6 p.m., through Christmas Day.
- Damen Avenue pioneer Embelezar (1639 N. Damen Ave.; 773-645-9705) is closing the doors on Dec. 30th because its owner is moving to Milwaukee. Take 10 percent off purchases through closing; discounts will increase as the closing date draws near.
- Now through Dec. 25th at Guise (2217 N. Halsted Ave; 773-929-6101), men who stop in for a haircut will receive 20 percent off outerwear, suits, blazers, and shoes.
- Create a holiday wish list between now and Dec. 24th at Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477), and anyone who makes a purchase receives 20 percent off any one item on the list.
- Make an appointment for a smashbox consultation with the nationally known makeup artist Melissa Janus at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4519) from Dec. 11th through 15th. Receive a complimentary gift with purchases of $75 or more.
- Try on any strand at Iridesse (Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, 630-954-3541; Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, 847-605-1102) through Dec. 24th and the store will enter you to a Tahitian pearl strand worth $2,600.
- The Amdur Gallery of Contemporary Art (2071 Tower Dr., Glenview; 847-998-0777) holds a trunk show from Dec. 14th through 16th with the jewelry designer Arturas Ragauskas, who combines modern metals with traditional styles. Ivan Sagal, another jewelry designer, will also be featured.
- The clothing consulting company Personal Vogue (1218 S. State St.; 312-697-1570) offers a holiday package: a phone consultation and two personalized in-home wardrobe sessions are discounted to $125 an hour. Valid through Jan. 1st.
- The Let it Snow, Let it Grow Holiday Flower Show at the Garfield Park Conservatory (300 N. Central Park Ave.; 312-746-5100) runs through Jan. 13th, with fir trees decorated for the holidays and hundreds of poinsettias.
2 weeks ago