Tickle Your Fancy
Need a last minute New Year’s Eve dress? You’re in luck. Recently opened Veruca Salt Fancy (1921 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-9888), the sister store to the more casual Veruca Salt Fun (1937 N. Damen Ave.) down the street, carries cocktail dresses, trousers, and shoes that skew, well, fancy. Find a stunning Susana Monaco black leather cocktail dress ($449) and pair it with leather opera gloves ($145), or a silver pleated mini-dress ($350), or a sparkly gray holiday dress from Collective Clothing ($69.99). Dressy favorites from Rachel Pally and Sunner mix it up with more work-appropriate attire such as the classic trouser from Raven Tailored ($212), a big, buttoned white coat from A.B.S. ($349), and gorgeous cashmere from Emma & Posh ($130 for a striped sweater.) Also find jeans with a sequin clasp from Rich & Skinny ($220), and shoes from oh . . . DEER! and Sam Edelman, such as sparkly black sequined shoes ($125), and eel-skin handbags from local designer Shatira. Amber Warren, who owns both stores, continues her philosophy of injecting affordable style into Bucktown. “Although the Fancy store has a higher price point than the other store, there are still a lot of options under $100,” she says. Dresses start at $89, and shoes are all priced under $150. And procrastination pays off for last minute shoppers: Select apparel (including party dresses) is marked down 30 to 50 percent through Jan. 10th.
Top Sales This Week
The semi-annual sale at Ikram (873 N. Rush St.; 312-587-1000) starts Jan. 1st. Look for items tied with a red bow, which denotes a 40 percent markdown on designer and runway pieces from the fall and winter season.
Have a nickel to spare? City Soles/Niche (2001 W. North Ave., 773-489-2001; 3432 N. Southport Ave., 773-665-4233) holds its wildly popular nickel sale on Jan. 4th from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Buy any pair of shoes at regular price and get the second pair (of equal or lesser value) for a nickel.
The Best of the Rest
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180) holds its semi-annual Floor Model and More sale from Jan. 2nd through Jan. 31st, offering 30 to 75 percent off upholstered and antique furniture, lighting, rugs, and accessories from brands such as Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, with all new stock pieces discounted to floor model prices.
- Take 30 to 50 percent off select fall merchandise on brands such as Loeffler Randall, Tibi, and Trovata at Active Endeavors (853 W. Armitage Ave., 773-281-8100; 694 Vernon Ave., Glencoe, 847-835-3520) throughout the month.
- Plein Aire (2036 W. Division St.; 773-227-3772) holds a New Year’s Eve dress sale through Jan. 2nd, with all dresses at 50 percent off from brands such as Madison Marcus and Rachel Pally.
- The boutique for full-figured women, vive la femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429) holds a judgment-free sale, “The More You Weigh, the Less You Pay,” a refreshing positive spin on holiday weight gain. For the entire month, shoppers who reveal their weight will receive 10 percent of their weight as a discount.
- Women’s couture resale store The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak St., 6th floor; 312-943-8880) starts its season’s end sale Jan. 2nd, with all gently worn garments marked 40 percent off and accessories marked 20 percent off, through Feb. 15th.
- Need new spectacles? Eye Spy Optical (3350 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-477-2670) discounts select merchandise from brands such as IC! Berlin and Anne et Valentin from 25 to 75 percent off throughout January.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-3545) hosts a Watters & Watters trunk show on Jan. 4th through 6th in the bridal salon, featuring the wedding and bridesmaid gowns. Appointments are suggested.
- Brides-to-be who purchase a gown on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in January at White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571) receive a complimentary Lori London designer veil. (Preview veils at lorilondon.com.)
- Upscale resale shop Clothes Mentor (582 S. Route 59, Naperville;
630-355-0009) hosts its first quarterly clearance sale on select items starting Jan. 5th.
1 week ago
4 weeks ago