(special holiday edition - sales covered through December 30!)
Kick Up Your Heels
New shoe stores are sweeping the city and a recently opened Pilsen boutique fills a West Side void. Zapatillas (1421 W. 18th St.; 312-226-4040, zapatillasinc.com), or “slipper” in Spanish, emphasizes adorable affordability, with prices ranging from $24.99 for flats up to $199.99 for boots from the brands such as Nine West, Chinese Laundry, and Madden Girl. Unlike many ballet flats that don’t allow for a bend in the foot, the ones here from Me Too ($69.99) are actually comfortable; we also liked the Anne Michelle tweed pumps ($29.99) and the trendy oxford heels ($92.99). The store also carrries a few Mexican imports such as the purple suede heel from Via Libera ($74.99) and beautiful ostrich leather boots in colors from muted tan to festive red ($169). The purse selection is also worth a look, including patent clutches, sparkly evening bags, Franco Sarto leather totes, and a women’s briefcase from Latico ($158.99). Zapatillas is next door to OMD, a year-old women’s and men’s clothing store, so shopping on 18th street is a two-fer.
Top Sales This Week
Shop local (and without the kids) at the Couple’s Night Out hosted by The Denim Lounge (43 E. Oak St.; 312-642-6403) on Dec. 19th from 5 to 8:30 p.m., when the shop teams up with Sarah’s Pastries and Candies, G Boutique, and Lush Wine and Spirits for a night of wine tastings, chocolate, and discounts.
Select handbags at Furla (1211 W. Webster Ave.; 773-525-7420) are now marked 30 percent off. Further markdowns take effect on Dec. 26th, with 30 percent off additional handbags, 50 percent off already reduced items, and 30 percent off gloves, hats, scarves, and wallets.
The Best of the Rest
- A Bucktown outpost of Cynthia Rowley (1653 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-9209) joins the Lincoln Park store, featuring her complete collection of clothing, handbags, shoes, dinnerware, and a limited-edition floral bicycle.
- Receive 20 percent off every dress in the store through Dec. 24th at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860), including holiday dresses from brands such as Nougat and Thorn.
- Eco-friendly shop Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) hosts a holiday sale through Dec. 23rd, with everything in the store marked down 15 to 40 percent off. The store also has late hours until 8 p.m. from Dec. 18th through 21st.
- Take 50 percent off fall and winter merchandise at Samantha (64 E. Walton St., 1st fl.; 312-951-5383) starting Dec. 26th on designers such as Catherine Malandrino, Vince, Ya-Ya, and Milly.
- Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223) hosts a holiday shoe sale with 30 percent off select fall and winter merchandise through Jan. 13th on brands such as Missoni and Anya Hindmarch.
- Last minute shoppers can take 20 percent off the “last chance night” at Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247) on Dec. 20th from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Chocolate For Your Body (1743 S. Halsted St.; 312-226-0777), a spa, holds a Chocolate Martini night on Dec. 21st from 5 to 9 p.m. with mini facials, mini massages, and mani/pedi specials as well as complimentary truffles and chocolate martinis. RSVP to the spa.
- Naperville boutique Twist (33½ W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville; 630-548-4445) holds a winter sale through Dec. 22nd, with 10 percent off denim and 20 percent off regularly priced merchandise.
- Koros (1019 W. Lake St.; 312-738-0155) hosts a trunk show with nature-inspired artwork from Jason Fricke and Tracey Mayer, who integrates authentic coins with precious and semi-precious stones, on Dec. 20th from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Party dresses are 20 to 50 percent off through Dec. 23rd at Hubba Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414).
- Guise (2217 N. Halsted St.; 773-929-6101) discounts all store merchandise 25 to 40 percent off starting Dec. 26th.
- Jade (1557 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-342-5233) has discounted fall merchandise such as T-Bags and Tag and Hudson jeans, now 25 to 40 percent off; on Dec. 26th, more goes on sale up to 75 percent off.
- Chicago designers and boutiques set up shop at Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave., 7th fl.) for Shopping for Wishes, sponsored by SeeMore Shopping and Chic Gems, offering clothing, jewelry, home accents, and gourmet foods with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Participants include Groundless Youth, Michelle Tan, and The Silver Room.
- Flirt (3449 N. Southport Ave.; 773-935-4789) hosts a progressive sale starting Dec. 26th at noon. Buy one item to receive 20 percent off, two for 25 percent off, or five or more items for 50 percent off.
- Through Dec. 24th, Bedside Manor Ltd. (2056 N. Halsted St., 773-404-2020; 929 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0969; 38 S. Garfield Ave., Hinsdale, 630-655-0497; 192 E. Westminster, Lake Forest, 888-295-8371) holds a 12 Days of Christmas sale, with 20 to 25 percent off select items.
- Left Bank Jewelry & Uniquities (1155 West Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422) hosts a trunk show with designer Meg Lammers of Bella Jewels on Dec. 22nd and 23rd, featuring handcrafted pieces that integrate gemstones, Swarovski crystals, and freshwater pearls. Private appointments are available on Dec. 21st.
- Threadless Kids (3011 N. Broadway; 773-525-8640) has launched a line of “hoodsies,” a combination of hoodies and onesies for babies. Look for them in the store or online at threadlesskids.com.
- ShareWear Consignment (4703 N. Damen Ave.; 773-596-5537) hosts a complimentary bra fitting and Champagne brunch on Dec. 29th from 1 to 4 p.m. featuring appetizers and a $20 coupon toward purchases. R.S.V.P. required.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago