The Andersonville home goods haven White Attic opened its second location on Nov. 8th at 1842 North Damen Avenue (773-252-8844, thewhiteattic.com) in Bucktown’s fledgling design district. The owner, Terry Ledford, handpicks primarily vintage furniture with good bones and lovingly reworks them into pieces that are both modern and quirky. Ledford hand paints each piece, usually in creamy neutrals, and adds unexpected touches such as bright colors inside drawers. The new store is much larger, carrying more furniture and adding home accessories such as gorgeous ceramics; Ledford has also introduced a line of upholstery.
Top Sales This Week
Oak Park furniture and accessories store Amazing Space Inc. (1105 Chicago Ave., Oak Park; 708-383-3333, amazingspaceinc.net) closes its doors at the end of January, offering 50 percent off everything in the store through Dec. 31st. The store features mid-century modern pieces, European-style antiques, as well as new items by Roost, Tozai Home, and Global Views.
On Dec. 6th, ShopWalk, a local shopping-tour business owned by Danielle Lutz, is offering stylist-guided group tours of Bucktown boutiques from 1 to 5 p.m. Participating stores will be offering seasonal treats and exclusive discounts up to 20 percent. The day ends with a holiday happy hour at The Bluebird, hosted by Lutz. Call 773-255-7866 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Tickets are $41.
The Best of the Rest
- The West Loop eco-chic shop Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) hosts its annual holiday party on Dec. 4th from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Eight local designers will be featured, and all customers can enter to win a $250 gift card. Refreshments will be served.
- Design outlet Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600m) marks most winter clothing down 25 to 50 percent.
- The Gold Coast children’s boutique Madison and Friends (43 E. Oak St.; 888-332-8610) offers 30 percent off all merchandise, including sale items. Sale runs through Dec. 5th.
- From now until Dec. 25th, the local jewelry designer Ali Pesche of Ali Precious Designs offers 30 percent off non-sale purchases on her Web site. Enter the discount code “giving” at checkout.
- Artists Frame Service (1867 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-2800) closed the outlet store in September, but, beginning Dec. 7th, the store introduces its monthly “First Sunday” frame sale, featuring discounted frames and odds-and-ends from the retail business at savings up to 80 percent.
- Now through Dec. 14th, the avant-garde clothing boutique Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755) takes 30 percent off Fall 2008 collections for men and women.
- During December, the Gold Coast spa Exhale (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500) offers its Urban Eyes treatment, normally $175, for $100. The service includes eyebrow shaping, eyelash curling, and brow tinting.
- The Lakeview Chamber of Commerce presents its 13th annual Southport Holiday Stroll on Dec. 5th from 5 to 9 p.m. Participating merchants on Southport between Belmont and Byron will be offering discounts and goodies, and shoppers can enjoy sleigh rides and carolers along the route.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212) holds a two-day Fine Jewelry and Timepieces auction on Dec. 4th at 5 p.m. and Dec. 5th at 11 a.m. The sale features more than 800 lots from jewelers such as Cartier, Rolex, and Tiffany & Co, with prices ranging $50 to $150,000.
- The graphic T-shirt company Threadless Tees (3011 N. Broadway; 773-525-8640) has its annual holiday sale both online and in stores offering hundreds of men’s and women’s designs from $5.
- The singer Jessica Simpson appears at Macy’s on State Street (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884) on Dec. 6th at noon to launch her new fragrance, Fancy. The first 300 customers to buy the Fancy gift collection ($89) will receive an autographed photograph.
- Jake (3740 Southport Ave., 773-929-5253; 939 N. Rush St., 312-664-5553; 565 Lincoln Ave., Winnetka, 847-501-5253) takes 40 to 60 percent off all merchandise in stores and at the Web site. Designers include Brian Reyes, Rebecca Minkoff, and Barbara Bui.
- The Hinsdale boutique Totem (35 S. Washington St., 2nd fl., Hinsdale; 630-986-0900, ) hosts its anniversary party Dec. 5th from 6 to 10 p.m. The event features food, drink, music, and holiday fashions for women and men.
- Bucktown’s upscale shoe boutique Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223, ) takes 25 percent off all fall and winter boots by designers such as Loeffler Randall, L’Autre Chose, and Sendra.
4 days ago
1 week ago