While pregnant with twins, Chicago Southsider Sherri Edwards thought she might want to use cloth diapers. But when it came time to search for the products, she hit a bump in the road. “I realized there weren’t any nearby stores that carried cloth diapers and had to find everything online,” Edwards says. “When shopping online, people have to invest in a product with no idea of what it’s really like, and, after spending the money, realize it may not work.” To solve the problem, Edwards decided to make an assortment of cloth diapers more accessible for Chicagoland women with Cutie Poops and Bottoms (14910 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park; 708-873-4588, cutiepoopsandbottoms.com). “People can come in, see, and touch the diapers before buying them,” she says. The selection takes up one side of the entire store and includes different brands, such Chinese pre-folds (from $1.25) to Gro Baby hybrids (from $16.95). Aside from diapers, the store carries baby toys, accessories, and gear. Exclusives include baby slings from Maya Wrap ($65.95 to $94.50), Moses baskets with polka dot bedding ($69.99), and Ah Goo Baby plush changing pads ($24.99). Edwards also sells a Cutie Poops and Bottoms line of short- and long-sleeved onesies (from $10), which feature eco-friendly sayings like “My mommy is green. What color is yours?” The boutique also offers an ongoing series of nighttime classes that teach techniques of Lamaze, infant massage, and more. For a full schedule, visit cutiepoopsandbottoms.com. This weekend—December 18th through 20th—mention “Chicago magazine” for 10 percent off all boutique purchases.
Top Sales This Week
The Sustainable Style Sale and Soiree includes clothing, accessories, jewelry, and shoes from local designers as well as hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and music on Thursday, December 17th from 5 to 9 p.m., at Colori Eco Paint Boutique (2243 W. North Ave.) For more information, visit chicagofashionresource.com.
Chicago magazine readers receive 50 percent off all jewelry from Chic Gems (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com) through Saturday, December 26th. Enter code “chicagomaghol” to receive discount. Also, buy one gift certificate and get a second gift certificate of the same value for free.
Heidi Hess (210 N. Halsted St.; 312-738-1112) features drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and designs from Lara Miller, Kate Boggiano, and Objets d’Envy on Thursday, December 17th and Friday, December 18th from 6 to 9 p.m. Receive 30 percent off purchases by 7 p.m., 20 percent off purchases by 8 p.m., and 10 percent until the event ends.
The Best of the Rest
- Lara Miller (931 W. Cornelia Ave., 1B; 773-296-4442, laramiller.net) celebrates 30 years with a party and sale on Sunday, December 20th from 12 to 8 p.m. It’s the first time the studio opens to the public.
- Take 50 percent off everything at Zella Brown (1444 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-276-1746, zellabrown.com) through Wednesday, December 23rd.
- Through Thursday December 24th, Zola Jones (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-848-3257, zolajonesdesigns.com) is giving ten percent of all sales to the Tree House Humane Society (treehouseanimals.org).
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) host a guy’s shopping night with drinks and 15 percent off all $100 purchases on Thursday, December 17th from 6 to 8 p.m. Also that day, Krista K holds a Lana jewelry trunk show from 1 p.m. to close.
- Take 25 to 75 percent off dresses; 25 percent off jewelry; and up to 75 percent off coats, sweaters, hats, and gloves at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) through Thursday, December 24th.
- Late-er Night Andersonville, hosted by the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (5356 N. Clark St.; 773-728-2995, andersonville.org) features discounts from area shops, entertainment, and refreshments Friday, December 18th from 6 to 10 p.m.
- Spend $250 at The Blues Jean Bar (2210 N. Halsted St.; 773-248-5326, thebluesjeanbar.com) before Thursday, December 24th and receive 20 percent off the purchase. Spend $350 and receive 25 percent off the purchase.
- His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway St.; 773-281-6111, hisstuffchicago.com) takes 10 percent off everything in the store Thursday, December 17th from 6 to 9 p.m. The shopping event also includes drinks and appetizers. Ten percent of evening sales go to the Chicago House (chicagohouse.org).
- Take 25 percent off all online orders from Mali (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) through Thursday, December 31st. Enter ‘25’ at checkout to receive discount.
- House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) holds its Winter Wonderland sale with up to 50 percent off select shoes, outerwear, and accessories, Thursday, December 17th through Sunday, December 20th. Snacks and cocktails will be provided from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Save up to 50 percent on all artwork from Dolan Geiman (etsy.com/shop/dolangeiman) during the local artist’s third annual holiday sale through Sunday, December 20th. Spend $100 or more and receive a free gift.
- Wolfbait & B-Girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) holds a Veronica Riley Martens jewelry trunk show Saturday, December 19th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Enjoy a preview of the spring 2010 collections, hors d’oeuvres, and Champagne at Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755, gammaplayer.com) on Wednesday, December 16th from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spex (522 Dempster St., Evanston; 847-864-5200, spexchicago.com) holds the opening reception for its next ART + VISION event with ceramics by Richard Cohen Friday, December 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. Guests receive complimentary gift bags, drinks, and appetizers.
- Save up to 50 percent on selected clothing collections at The Lake Forest Shop (265 E. Market Square, Lake Forest; 847-234-0548, lakeforestshop.com) through Thursday, December 24th. The shop also hosts a Lafayette 148 trunk show through the 24th.
- Neapolitan (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) features Carolina Herrera’s spring 2010 collection Thursday, December 17th to Saturday, December 19th.
- Donate items to national charities during the first Southport “Gives Back” (onsouthport.com); the event kicks off on Thursday, December 17th from 5 to 8 p.m. with exclusive discounts, drinks, and snacks for those who bring in donations to participating area shops.
6 days ago
3 weeks ago