Lopez and Lopez
The brothers Brian Lopez and Marco Hafid Lopez share a long list of creative accomplishments. Working for big names like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Shorty Capone Fashion, the Humboldt Park-raised duo has collectively designed everything from fine art and toys to shoes and clothing for the past decade. Their latest project: Black Market Caviar (1945 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-890-9642, blackmarketcaviar.com), a new apparel and screen-printing shop that opened earlier this month in Ukrainian Village. “We’re just two homeboys bringing everything full circle,” says Brian. The boutique features colorful and innovative collections for both men and women from a range of independent and well known labels, including Plastic Party, Ends/Wealth, Trash and Luxury, and Normal Watches. They’re starting their own label: Black Market Caviar, scheduled to fully launch next spring, will feature men’s T-shirts, denim, jackets, and couture hoodies. In the back of the store, shoppers will be able to select custom screen-prints for graphic tees in any style, cut, or quantity. “We don’t want to be something for everybody, but we do want to reach a broad range of people by providing edgy, urban styles that are high-end,” Brian says. But “high-end” doesn’t mean really high prices: The store’s merchandise ranges from $20 for a T-shirt to $150 for a party dress. The boutique also carries cotton V-neck tees that feature fashion illustrations by Chicago designer Anna Hovet ($30 to $40), screen-printed crewneck sweatshirts ($40), and a variety of vintage leather coats and jackets ($40 to $60). “We mean high-end as in what you see and how you feel in what you’re wearing,” adds Marco. Through Monday, January 4th, the shop’s next door neighbor, Rotofugi Designer Toy Store and Gallery (1953 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-491-9501, rotofugi.com), features a Black Market Caviar showcase with works from Marco as well as D Young V, John Felix Arnold III, Elisa Harkins, Brandon Breaux, and Chris Huban.
Top Sales This Week
French housewares and textiles outpost Genevieve Lethu (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-423-9948, genevievelethu.com) holds its New Year sale Friday, January 1st through Sunday, January 31st with 30 to 60 percent off selected merchandise.
The Best of the Rest
- Porte Rouge (773-269-2800; porterouge.biz) takes 15 to 40 percent off all Mariage Frères tea gift sets through Sunday, January 31st.
- Save 40 percent on winter clothing and 20 percent on winter accessories at The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak St., sixth floor; 312-943-8880, daisyshop.com) from Saturday, January 2nd through Sunday, January 31st.
- State Street Barbers (1151 W. Webster Ave., 773-477-7721; 1545 N. Wells St., 312-787-7722; 3523 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-7723, statestreetbarbers.com) offers the Statesman package—haircut, hot lather shave, shoulder massage, and a selection of products—for $60 (regularly $80) through Thursday, December 31st. Purchase a Gillette and the Art of Shaving shave set ($195) and receive a free hot lather shave gift card.
- Get a 25-minute cranberry facial peel for $60—or a series of three for $150—at the Skin Wellness Center of Chicago (111 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-236-9950, skinwellnesscenter.org) through Saturday, January 30th, 2010.
- W Chicago Lakeshore (644 N. Lake Shore Dr.; 312-943-9200, starwoodhotels.com/whotels) offers its “Baby It’s Cold Outside” package through the winter months. Starting at $179 a night, guests receive an in-room breakfast for two, two cocktails, an in-room movie, and a six-ounce Bliss Spa hot salt scrub.
- Save 25 percent on all coats at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) through Thursday, January 21st.
- HALO [For Men] Gold Coast (21 W. Elm St.; 312-642-4256, halochicago.com) offers $40 spa services, including 50-minute gingerbread massages and peppermint manicures, through Thursday, December 31st.
- Christmas may have been last week, but the Park Hyatt Chicago (800 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-335-1234, parkchicago.hyatt.com) continues to offer its “Christmas Around the World” package—an overnight stay, two tickets to the Museum of Science and Industry’s “Christmas Around the World” and “Holidays of Light” exhibit, and breakfast for two at NoMI—through Sunday, January 3rd. For reservations or information, call 312-335-1234.
- Wood-Mode Fine Custom Cabinetry (for showroom locations, visit wood-mode.com) extends its seasonal saving event, with discounts on selected kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, through Friday, January 29th.
- Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221), a vintage home furniture and accessories showroom, is open to the public by appointment only, but its inventory can now be viewed and bought online at revisionchicago.com.
- Save 40 to 75 percent on all holiday items, including cards, candles, and gift tags, at Anjénu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com).
- Receive an extra $20 gift certificate for each $100 gift certificate purchase at House of Two Urns (1239 N. Greenview Ave.; 773-235-1408, twourns.com) through Wednesday, January 6th.
- Buy one sale item, get one free at A’Gaci (107 S. State St.; 210-694-8945, agacistore.com) through Thursday, December 31st.
- Bullfrogs & Butterflies (2124 W. Division St.; 773-661-1632, bullfrogsandbutterfliesshop.com) kicks off its semi-annual sale Saturday, January 2nd. Get 25 to 75 percent off most clothing and other select items while supplies last.
2 weeks ago