Simone Gensburg has opened a suburban boutique for women who want to standout. Simone’s (1060 Gage St., Winnetka; 847-446-9966) stocks only one to three sizes of each piece, “so women won’t see themselves coming and going,” she says. Specializing in top-of-the-line, hard-to-find designers, she says “everything in the store is classy, chic, and timeless.” Gensburg, an Israeli émigré and former model, was a full-time mom for 17 years before opening the boutique, and modeled the elegant, monochromatic space after her own dressing room. Look for a beautiful black satin coat with pink trim ($1,895) from Ruffian, or a simple, flattering Audrey Hepburn-esque dress from Alessandro Dell’Acqua ($1,190). She also carries pieces from Trelise Cooper, a designer who bases her garments on vintage designs, such as the jaw-dropping long black coat with a lace lining that peeks out when its wearer walks down the street. You’ll also find pieces from a young Canadian designer named Jeremy Laing, who created a collection inspired by ski clothing, creating high-waisted skirts and a pull-over work blazer ($975) that blend utilitarian fabrics with high style. Dressier options are offset with more casual offerings such as a silk slip dress ($108) and cashmere cardigan ($276) from Organic, grab and go cashmere sweaters from Cashmiri (now 50 to 60 percent off), and corduroys in green and camel. We loved a gray moleskin coat ($675) with large black buttons that wouldn’t look out of place in 1940s film noir. “These are clothes you can wear over and over again with confidence,” Gensburg says. Accessories—such as leather opera gloves ($350) and jeweled clutches from Edidi ($3,027)—are also dramatic.Top Sales This Week
The boutiques of Lincoln Park (along Halsted Street, Webster and Armitage avenues) team up for I Love Lincoln Park on Feb. 9th, beginning at 10 a.m., with boutiques each featuring breakfast treats, a product they “love,” and a discount or promotion. A sampling of the deals: Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600) offers 10 percent off non-sale necklaces through the weekend; Cynthia Rowley (808 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-528-6160) offers 10 to 20 percent off the resort line; Lori’s Designer Shoes (824 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-281-5655) offers 20 percent off all merchandise; and Kaveri (1211 W. Webster Ave.; 773-296-2141) discounts most merchandise 50 to 80 percent.
Shop for Valentine’s Day at Cupid’s Day Out, a one-day shopping event featuring local designers who create handcrafted jewelry, lingerie, and sweets from designers such as Kristin Goede of Objets d’Envy, Juliet Jewelry, the vegan organic line of body care products Lotions & Potions, and local lingerie line Evlove Intimates. Relationship expert Elizabeth Aloni, author of The Mating Manual, will also be on hand to offer relationship advice. The event runs Feb. 9th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Flourish Studios (3020 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-281-8140, cupidsdayout.com).The Best of the Rest
* Nika le butik (143 N. Northwest Hwy., Park Ridge; 847-696-1700) holds its annual Valentine’s Day sale on Feb. 9th from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., with designer clothing from Anlo, Hale Bob, and Sweetees, among others, discounted at or below wholesale. The event also includes a free gift with purchase, a drawing for a $200 shopping spree, and an open bar from 4 to 7 p.m.
* Take an extra 20 percent off winter clothing throughout February at Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093) during the semi-annual sale. On Leap Day (Feb. 29th), take 30 percent off winter clothing.
* Stop by the Shop in the Name of Love trunk show with Tulle shopping and personal styling service offering style expertise on Feb. 10th from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Spa Soak (1733 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-395-9000). You’ll also receive complimentary drinks, noshes, and designer bag and spa service giveaways.
* SERPICO studio (1932 S. Halsted St.; 312-265-6236) teams up with Erin Gallagher jewelry for a winter markdown sale on Feb. 8th from 6 to 10 p.m., coinciding with 2nd Fridays Gallery Night. SERPICO discounts selected fall/winter pieces up to 50 percent off, and Erin Gallagher offers discounts on her fall line.
* Local South Loop shops host Champagne, Chocolate & Couture at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) on Feb. 7th from 6 to 9 p.m., with up to 50 to 75 percent off handbags, shoes, and a trunk show with local jewelry designers Sherzada, Faith Jewelry Design, and Be-Beady, as well as champagne from the South Loop Wine Cellar (which offers five percent off all wine orders during the event) and chocolate from rr Chocolats.
* Embrace (29 E. First St., Hinsdale; 630-325-1996) marks down regularly priced jewelry 25 percent off throughout February, from brands such as Catherine Weitzman, Melissa Joy Manning, and Mizuki.
* Receive a gift bag stocked with a treat from Alliance Bakery, a giftcard from Michael Anthony Salon Spa, and a Hanky Panky thong with purchase over $100 at Plein Aire (2036 W Division St.; 773-227-3772) from Feb. 9th through 14th.
* Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180) offers a collection of modern floral designs, “Valentine Moderne,” through Feb. 14th. Choose an arrangement and schedule delivery at jaysonhomeandgarden.com.
* Lumen (839 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-733-2222) holds a 20 Looks fashion show with Isabella Fine Lingerie on Feb. 7th from 10 p.m. to midnight. One attendee receives a week’s worth of bras and panties. Cover is $10. RSVP@lumen-chicago.com to reserve a table.
* Boutiques along Southport Avenue (from Belmont Avenue to Byron Street) in Lake View team up for an indoor sidewalk sale on Feb. 9th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Feb. 10th from noon to 5 p.m.
* The Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.; 773-276-3600) hosts Handmade Market, featuring Chicago-based designers who create jewelry, clothing, scarves, and handbags, on Feb. 9th from noon to 4:30 p.m.
* Sacred Art (2040 W. Roscoe St.; 773-404-8790) holds a block printing workshop to make your own Valentine’s Day cards with artist Stacey Colangelo on Feb. 10th from 5 to 8 p.m. RSVP to the store; the cost is $25 and registration ends on Feb. 5th.
* As part of the month-long Toast the Magnificent Mile, Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4460) holds Sparkle & Shine, a Champagne-inspired cosmetics event on Feb. 9th from 3 to 5 p.m. in first floor cosmetics from brands such as Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Estée Lauder, and smashbox.
* p.45 has temporarily relocated to Apartment No. 9 (1804 N. Damen Ave.; 773-395-2999) while its owners remodel the boutique’s space at 1643 North Damen Avenue; the store hopes to reopen by Feb 7th.
* Oak Street boutique Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940) now carries celebrity red carpet favorite dresses by Dina Bar-el.
* The city of Chicago has launched chicagofashionresource.com, a new Web hub for Chicago’s fashion community with information on local designers, boutiques, and events.
1 week ago
3 weeks ago