Cutting Her Own Path
After 15 years in corporate salons, the hair colorist Karen Marie Vanoni wanted a more creative work environment. But shortly into her search, she realized she wanted to open her own salon. “I felt like I’d never be fully happy until I was able to make my own rules,” says Vanoni who opened her namesake business in Bucktown last November. Karen Marie Salon (1859 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-227-4003, karenmariesalon.com) offers an array of services from double-process coloring ($90) and extensions (consultation needed for pricing) to basic cuts ($70 for women, $48 for men) and make up applications (from $30). Composed of refurbished, recycled, and recovered materials, the salon also encompasses Vanoni’s views on green living. “It’s something that I’ve practiced at home for years, so why not carry it over?” she says. Other efforts include donating hair clippings and recycling all other waste. Customers can also buy the eco-friendly product lines used at the salon, including Aveda (from $25), Kevin Murphy (from $25), and Keratin Complex ($400 to $500). Karen Marie Salon also displays the works of artists such as John Gibbs (gibbsgallery.com), Mike McGuiness (dweldesign.com), and, from Chicago, Margaret Carsello; their works are also for sale.
Top Sales This Week
For President’s Day, the 900 Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916, shop900.com) holds its annual tax-free shopping weekend. From Saturday, February 13th through Monday, February 15th, save 10.25 percent on all purchases at more than 45 participating stores. Print a pass from shop900.com or pick one up at a the 900 Shops’ concierge desk this weekend; guests must show the pass at each transaction to get the discount. Shoppers also receive a $10 parking validation with store purchases. Call 312-915-3916 for more information.
Nika le Butik (143 N. Northwest Highway, Park Ridge; 847-696-1700, nikabutik.com) takes up to 75 percent off everything in the store at its annual Valentine’s Day sale on Saturday, February 13th from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Guests enjoy cocktails, appetizers, chocolates, giveaways, and a free gift with every purchase. Arrive early for mimosas and strawberries.
To raise money for Haiti, Mario Tricoci of Mario Tricoci Hair Salons & Day Spas (for locations, tricoci.com) will visit various Chicagoland salons this month. Find him at the Schaumburg location on Wednesday, February 10th; at Naperville on Friday, February 12th; at the 900 Shops on Tuesday, February 16th; at Orland Park on Thursday, February 18th; and at Vernon Hills on Tuesday, February 23rd. Donate a minimum of $200 to help Haiti at and receive a one-on-one consultation and haircut with Tricoci himself. For reservations or more information, call 847-202-1900.
The Best of the Rest
- Kaveri (1211 W. Webster Ave.; 773-296-2141, ekaveri.com) features jewelry from the Brazilian designer Camila Klein, Tuesday, February 9th through Sunday, February 14th.
- Enjoy pastries, cocktails, live music, and discounts at the Arboretum of South Barrington (100 W. Higgins Rd., South Barrington; 847-426-6200, shopthearboretumsb.com) on Thursday, February 11th from 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance at shopthearboretumsb.com or $30 at the door.
- Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com) holds its pre-Valentine’s Day soiree with desserts, Champagne, and 10 percent off all in-store merchandise on Thursday, February 11th from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Take 20 percent off red and black pieces, his-and-her merchandise, and M&J’s “Vampire Icon” items during the vampire-themed shopping party, Love Bites, at Fix (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-226-4565) on Thursday, February 11th from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests also receive drinks, appetizers, desserts, and fake fangs. RSVP to email@example.com or 773-661-0700.
- Helping Hands Forever (helpinghandsforever.com) hosts a Masquerade Ball with food, cocktails, a silent auction, and raffle on Thursday, February 11th from 7 to 10 p.m., at Gold Coast Bentley (834 N. Rust St.). Tickets are $45 in advance at helpinghandsforevermasquerade.eventbrite.com or $55 at the door; RSVP by Tuesday, February 9th. Event proceeds go to the New Hope Center (newhopecenterinc.com).
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day early with 15 percent off red and pink items from Kate Boggiano and Objets d’Envy at Pretty in Pilsen on Thursday, February 11th. At Kate Boggiano (2150 S. Canalport Ave., 3rd floor; 866-388-3501), the event also includes Champagne and chocolate. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Handmade Market returns to The Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.; 773-276-3600) with items from more than 30 Chicago-based designers on Saturday, February 13th.
- For Valentine’s Day, the James Chicago (55 E. Ontario St.; 312-337-1000, jameshotels.com) offers specials for singles and couples this weekend. Through the “All the Single Ladies” package (from $349), women and their friends receive an in-room movie, a consultation with a Swarovski jeweler, and two free drinks at the JBar’s singles event on Saturday, February 13th. Meanwhile, couples who book the “Put a Ring On It” special (from $359), get in-room Champagne, dessert and movies, a jewelry consultation with Swarovski, and two free glasses of Champagne at JBar’s “Champagne Friday” event on Friday, February 12th.
- Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds another Green Spa night with fair-trade wine and snacks on Saturday, February 13th from 6 to 7:30 p.m. For $15, learn how to make body oils and face masks with household ingredients. RSVP at greenheartshop.org.
- Crate & Barrel opens its newest location at 760 North Martingale Road in Schaumburg (800-967-6696, crateandbarrel.com) on Thursday, February 11th.
Closings and Relocations
Lake View’s City Soles (3432 N. Southport Ave.; 773-665-4233, citysoles.com) closes Sunday, February 14th. The Bucktown location at 2001 West North Avenue (773-489-2001) will stay open.
Replacing the old Whole Foods store in Lincoln Park, Pottery Barn (865 W. North Ave.; 312-587-9837, potterybarn.com) recently moved to 1000 West North Avenue.
2 weeks ago
1 month ago