Shortly after graduating from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Michelle Barone was asked to create an exclusive clothing line for the opening reception of the museum’s Modern Wing in May 2009. “It really wasn’t in my plans,” says Barone, who got the nod about a month before the event. “But you don’t say ‘no’ to the Art Institute, especially when it’s for such an amazing addition to the city.” The show—featuring Barone’s five-piece collection known as the String Quintet—exposed the young designer to a new audience and paved the way for the launch of her company, Misha Barone (404-372-4009, mishabarone.com). Ranging mostly from $95 to $700 (handmade couture pieces can cost up to $2,000), designs include neckwear, tops, bottoms, and dresses. “It’s not necessarily a collection,” Barone says. “They’re pieces that have come to me and that have a certain flow to them. They’re all a continuation of the place where I’m at in my head, in terms of colors and fabrics.” Right now, Barone’s focus is on black, evident in piece such as a black silk-chiffon drape collar ($400) and leather vest with a tasseled, silk jersey-knit necklace ($525). All designs are “made-to-measure” through a personal fitting with Barone. Call 404-372-4009 or e-mail email@example.com to schedule a shopping appointment.
Top Sales This Week
2 Sisters (1167 W. Madison St.; 312-226-6677, shop2sisters.com), Dress Up Boutique (1036 N. Kingsbury St.; 312-276-5495, dressup-boutique.com), Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com), Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com), Re.Stock Shop (312-243-9434, restockshop.com), and Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) participate in the second annual Battle of the Boutiques event at Lumen (839 W. Fulton Market; 312-733-2222, lumen-chicago.com) on Friday, February 26th at 7:30 p.m. Tickets—$25 for general admission or $35 for VIP seats—are available at battleoftheboutiques2010.eventbrite.com.
Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) kicks off its spring upholstery sale Friday, February 26th with 20 percent off in-stock and custom order upholstered furniture, including new spring merchandise.
The Best of the Rest
- p45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) holds its eighth annual girls’ night on Thursday, February 25th from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- Bright Pink’s fourth annual VIPink event happens Friday, February 26th from 8 to 11 p.m. at Cuvee Lounge (308 W. Erie St.; cuveechicago.com). Tickets, $50 or $60 at the door, are available at bebrightpink.org/events. Proceeds help fund Bright Pink’s information sessions about breast and ovarian health.
- Gregory Gaymont Studio & Gallery (3948 N. Southport Ave.; 773-935-2971, gaymont.com) features the “Heart” print series ($200 each or $700 for all four designs) from Bill Moran until Sunday, February 28th. A portion of pre-sales go to the American Heart Association.
- Through Sunday, February 28th, save 30 percent on Bare Essentials at Urban Spa Chic (1401 W. Hubbard St.; 312-492-8050, urbanspachic.com).
- Green Home Experts (823 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 708-660-1443, ghexperts.com) celebrates two years with product demonstrations, snacks, and complimentary 15-minute design consultations on Saturday, February 27th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- This month, buy a crib/bed and changing table/dresser at Grow (1943 W. Division St.; 773-489-0009, grow-kids.com), and receive 10 percent off your purchase.
- Mali Jewelry (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) takes 20 percent off everything through Sunday, February 28th. Enter promo code “20” to get the discount online.
- Save up to 60 percent off winter and spring merchandise at Hot Mama (for locations, shopmama.com) through Sunday, February 28th.
- The Original Traveling Photo Booth (thetravelingphotobooth.com), in conjunction with a Lori London trunk show, debuts in Chicago at White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) on Friday, February 26th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, February 27th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Guests receive a photo strip from the photo booth and 10 percent off any Lori London purchase.
- Chicago Mart Plaza (350 W. Mart Center; 312-836-5000, martplaza.com) offers a Winter Blues package through Sunday, April 4th. The package include an overnight stay, parking, entry to the Back Porch Stage for the “Late Night Blues” show at the House of Blues, and a “Best of the Blues” CD; from $109 per night. To receive the deal online, enter promo code “IKOTHBLU” at checkout.
14 hours ago
15 hours ago
2 weeks ago