A year after it was first announced and five months after it was originally scheduled to open, Marc by Marc Jacobs (1714 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-2998) has arrived. Arguably the biggest shopping story of the past year, the opening of the boutique has inspired nervousness among local shop owners and residents who feared a chain invasion, curiosity about the company’s choice of Bucktown over the Gold Coast, and anticipation about when the store would finally open. The sleek, 4,000-square-foot space—which, together with the BCBG Max Azria next door, transformed a drab brick block into a bastion of polished newness—has exposed ductwork and light blue walls. The line has a younger, more affordable bent than its brother brand, Marc Jacobs, offering the designer’s sense of high style mixed with whimsical exuberance. Where else would a men’s topcoat for $698 mingle with a lipstick pen for $1.50? For women, find a sweet pink-and-blue silk tank dress ($298), a checkered pink-silk baby-doll dress ($378), and more casual pieces like a structured tan cargo shirt ($328). For men, look for a navy pinstripe blazer ($428), argyle sweaters ($138), and thermals ($30). And no mention of Marc Jacobs would be complete without a gush or two about his shoes and purses, such as the glittery pink flat ($305), signature buttery soft leather handbags ($250 to $500), which mingle with more affordable quilted clutches ($44) and Pan Am logo bags ($48). The best surprise is the number of affordable options, such as T-shirts ($35), mini umbrellas ($16), and glittery plastic rings ($4). Our favorite? The white rain boots with “Chicago” printed across the side, for $15.Top Sales This Week
Nab designer duds, all priced $150 and under, at the Beta Boutique Stacked Rack Sample Sale, with designer stock and samples at discounts of 40 to 90 percent off retail on designers such as Betsey Johnson, True Religion, Alice & Trixie, and the local line Blake Standard. The sale runs Jan. 26th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Jan 27th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1552 North Milwaukee Avenue on the second floor (note: This is not the Beta Boutique space). Prices start at $10; no RSVP necessary.
Waking up early on the weekend pays off at the Shop Around the Clock sale at Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-4477) on Jan. 26th. Already reduced items will be an extra 50 percent off from 8 to 9 a.m., with discounts decreasing every hour. After noon, everything else in the store, including new spring arrivals, will be an extra 20 percent off. As a bonus, take 20 percent off all regular-price merchandise throughout the day. All sales are final.The Best of the Rest
- Did you get engaged over the holidays? Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-3545) hosts the Ever After bridal event on Jan. 26th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with gowns from the bridal salon, registry seminars, product presentations, and local vendors such as florists, stationers, and deejays. Free.
- I.D. (3337 N. Halsted St.; 773-755-4343) holds a winter floor sample sale on Jan. 26th and 27th, with select items from Blu DOT and Bensen furniture discounted up to 40 percent, with accessories up to 75 percent off.
- The Old Town branch of Gray (1361 N. Wells St.; 312-573-0750) holds a warehouse sale from Jan. 25th through 29th, with deep discounts on brands such as Cynthia Steffe, Tracy Reese, and Nanette Lepore. Items start at $10; cash only.
- Perchance (3512 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-1300) holds a More is More sale on Jan. 26th from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., with discounts on shoes, clothing, and handbags. Discounts on sale merchandise start at an additional 10 percent off one item on up to 50 percent off five items or more.
- Save up to 80 percent off on men’s and women’s fall and winter merchandise from designers such as Cavalli, Versace, and D&G (including apparel, handbags, sunglasses, and ties) at the renovation sale at Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940); the sale continues while supplies last.
- Zella Brown (1444 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-276-1746) has discounted selected floor samples, through Jan. 31st.
- The end-of-the-season sale at Embrace boutique & bistro (29 E. First St., Hinsdale; 630-325-1996) runs Jan. 25th and 26th from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., with 50 to 70 percent off clothing, jewelry, and home goods.
- Public I (1923 W. Division St.; 773-772-9088) marks down all fall and winter items 50 percent off through Jan. 31st, on designers such as Laura B, Robert Graham, and G1.
- Children’s resale shop The Second Child (954 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-883-0880) hosts a winter clearance sale through Jan 26th. On Jan. 25th, take 50 percent off clothing, and on Jan. 26th, take 75 percent off clothing. Both days are cash only.
- Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755) marks down its winter fall and winter collections up to 50 percent off through Jan. 27th.
- Take 30 percent off Yves Delorme through Feb. 3rd at Bedside Manor Ltd. (2056 N. Halsted St., 773-404-2020; 929 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0969; 38 S. Garfield Ave., Hinsdale, 630-655-0497; 192 E. Westminster, Lake Forest, 847-295-8370).
- CAbi Designs holds a clearance sale at Sacred Art (2040 W. Roscoe St.; 773-404-8790) on Jan. 24th from 6 to 9 p.m. Preview the collection at cabionline.com.
2 weeks ago