No, Not Frank Serpico . . .
After years of selling her clothing and jewelry in local boutiques, online, and at trunk shows, Melissa Serpico Kamhout recently opened her first boutique, Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com), bringing Wicker Park a bigger selection of unique formal and dressy casual items. “It’s really different from what’s out there,” says Serpico Kamhout, a lifelong Chicagoan and former graphic designer. “Items are made from leather and silk with this interesting weaving technique. It’s very textural.” Although most of her clothing is manufactured in Italy, Serpico Kamhout creates organic cotton silk screen T-shirts, knit tops, and accessories—including a sterling silver and leather woven necklace ($350) and a metallic leather woven bracelet ($160)—at her design studio, located in the same building as the boutique. Headbands, bracelets, and necklaces range from $150 to $700; clothing is between $50 and $1,200. Since the shop debuted this past November, Serpico Kamhout has offered 40 percent off her winter collection, which focuses on basic blacks with punches of bright colors. Discounted items include a black silk jersey dress with looped strings hanging off the back that can be worn with a belt (originally $780, now $470) and a hand-stitched black wool vest made with a combination of mohair and leather (originally $350, now $140). In mid-February, Serpico will introduce her spring line, including a silk color block top in multi-chromatic green and blue tones and a cap-sleeve top with an exaggerated ruffle collar over one shoulder in various colors. “I always think how to make women feel good about themselves and stand out in a crowd,” Serpico Kamhout says.
Top Sales This Week
Lather Salon (1826 W. Montrose Ave., 773-271-7200; 4831 N. Damen St., 773-878-5600; latherchicago.com) hosts a Girl’s Night Out—Jan. 28th, at the Damen Street location, and Jan. 29th, at the Montrose Avenue location, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Attendees receive a complimentary hair consultation, 10 to 50 percent off all hair products, 10 percent off products from Chic Gems (312-602-2561, chicgemsetc.com) and Evlove Intimates (evloveintimates.com), as well as complimentary snacks, wine, and beer. New clients also receive 25 percent off hair or waxing services booked at the event, which benefits PAVE: Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment, a group bringing awareness to sexual and domestic assault.
On Jan. 29th from 6 to 9 p.m., ten Roscoe Village stores—including With Grace (2238 W. Roscoe St.; 773-525-3700, withgraceshop.com), Cinnamon Boutique (2104 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2466, cinnamonboutique.com), and A Cooler Planet (2211 W. Roscoe St.; 773-248-1110, itsacoolerplanet.com)—participate in Good Karma Shopping by offering 10 percent off all merchandise to shoppers and donating 10 percent of each purchase to Minds Matter, a non-profit organization for local underprivileged high school students. Shoppers who hold on to their receipts also receive discounts, free drinks, or free appetizers from three contributing restaurants that evening. For a full list of participants, visit mindsmatter.org/chapters/chicago/charity_event.asp.
Halo [For Men] (654 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 773-248-4256, halochicago.com) celebrates the grand opening of its new Lincoln Park location with free drinks and appetizers Jan 29th from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests will receive a voucher for a free Halo [For Men] service as well as $100 credit to Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St. (inside Halo [For Men]); 312-895-1577, nicholas-joseph.com). Those who take part in the $1 first-and-ten raffle have the chance to win an autographed item from the Chicago Bears kicker Robbie Gould; proceeds go to The Goulden Touch Foundation. The new spa also offers $15 off haircuts, along with beer, Jan. 30th and 31st. E-mail email@example.com to reserve a spot at the grand opening; the suggested donation is $10.
The Best of the Rest
- Lux Bar (18 E. Bellevue Pl.; 312-642-3400, luxbar.com) hosts a ladies night and trunk show on its upper level, featuring new necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and headbands from the local jewelry designer K.Amato (312-882-1366, k-amato.com). Jan. 28th from 6 to 8 p.m. The free event will include complimentary drinks and appetizers.
- Eco-friendly Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) hosts high-tea, providing a selection of fair-trade tea, scones, and finger sandwiches, Jan. 31st from 3 to 4:30 p.m. The suggested donation is $10. Reserve your spot by calling 312-264-1625.
- Kathryn Kerrigan (847-557-5067, kathrynkerrigan.com) holds a sale with 75 percent off pants, tops, dresses, skirts, and jackets, and up to 80 percent off shoes at its warehouse at 4129 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, through Feb. 1st.
- The Salon at ULTA (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) holds Beauty Bash, offering 20 percent off all salon and spa services Feb. 1st from 12 noon to 5 p.m. Participants receive complimentary wine, Champagne, and snacks. To make an appointment, call 312-279-5081. Walk–ins also welcome.
- Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720; Northbrook Court, Northbrook, 847-272-3860; 100 Oakbrook Ctr., Oak Brook, 630-571-9440; markshale.com) holds a warehouse sale with up to 80 percent off career and casual clothing Jan. 29th through Feb. 1st.
- Lincoln Park’s SHE Boutique (1024 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-880-8061) hosts an in-store Au Revoir sale with 50 to 70 percent off all designer dresses, skirts, tops, denim, jackets, and shoes, before closing on Feb. 1st. Customers who buy three or more items will get an additional 20 percent off. SHE Boutique’s other location (483 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-926-0150) and Web site (shopsheboutique.com) will remain active.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860, florodora.com) holds its Scandal sale with 50 percent off all full-priced clothing and already discounted fall and winter collections through Feb. 6th. The event will also feature a $10 racks as well as extra savings on a changing daily special.
- After closing its Little Italy location, Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) holds a sale with 75 percent off holiday items and 30 to 50 percent off candles, stationery, and jewelry through Jan. 31st.
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) offers 10 percent off all merchandise, up to 40 percent off holiday items, and 20 percent off select necklaces, candles, small leather goods and accessories, and photo albums through January 31st.
- Until it closes Jan. 31st, The Beat of My Art (329 N. Center St., Naperville; 630-848-1128, thebeatofmyart.com) offers 10 to 60 percent off majority of jewelry, purses, paintings, journals, coasters, and other art pieces. Jewelry items will still be available online after the sale.
- Pump Shoes & Accessories (1659 W. Division St.; 773-384-6750) holds its annual “Shoe-per Bowl” sale Jan. 31st offering up to 90 percent off shoes and boots. Doors open at 10 a.m.
- Amazing Space (1105 Chicago Ave., Oak Park; 708-383-3333, amazingspaceinc.net) hosts a closing sale with 50 percent off all full-price furniture, accessories, and artwork; and 60 percent off red tagged items, including furniture, lighting, and rugs, before shutting its doors Jan. 31st.
- Local card maker Marilyn Dollar teaches romantics how to create cards at her Valentine’s Day class, Jan. 29th from 7 to 9 p.m., at Mad Moon Stamping Room (5040 N. Monticello Ave.; 773-454-8398, madmoonstamping.typepad.com). To reserve your spot, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ; $25.
2 days ago
5 days ago