East Meets West
India’s largest jewelry store brand, Tanishq, has opened its first U.S. store in the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg (847-240-0166). The shop, from décor to its merchandise, has an organic, holistic philosophy. Unlike most jewelry stores that places a counter between the customer and the staff, the store is very open and inviting, with the jewelry displayed in windows along the walls. The collections—including rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces all in 18-karat white and yellow gold—are theme-based: Yoga collection jewelry incorporates fluid shapes and diamonds, all gracefully inspired by yoga poses; the Rain collection incorporates blue sapphires, diamonds, and aquamarines; and the Lotus collection incorporates pearls, diamonds, and pink sapphires. The styles balance eastern and western styles, with new collections coming in every season. Prices span $400 to $12,000, with charms starting at $98. “Our jewelry is expressive. It’s beyond brand name,” says Bhaskar Bhat, managing director of Titan Industries, the corporate umbrella that includes Tanishq and Titan Watches. “Our customer wears our jewelry because it says something about themselves, not to show off.”
Top Sales This Week
Wicker Park’s Public I (1923 W. division St.; 773-772-9088) is closing and offering 50 percent off all merchandise. Find discounts on men’s and designers’ apparel and luggage, from Language LA, Hobo International, Agave, Takumi, Robert Graham, and luggage from International Traveler and bags from Belle Hop and Tucano. Look for deeper discounts in August.
Club Monaco (1731 N. Damen Ave.; clubmonaco.com) in Bucktown is scheduled to open July 18th. On opening day, customers who spend $500 or more receive a black limited-edition Club Monaco iPod Nano, pre-loaded with the store’s playlist.
The Best of the Rest
- And the Bucktown growth continues. The yoga-inspired apparel shop Lululemon (1627 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-1869) opens on July 18th with two in-store yoga classes. The first is July 18th at 9 a.m., the second on July 20th at 10 a.m., both followed by a brunch. The grand opening is July 24th from 7 to 10 p.m. with live music, appetizers, and yoga, acrobatic, and dance demonstrations. Guests can attend complimentary yoga and fitness classes in the Lululemon store every Sunday from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Jake (939 N. Rush St.; 312-665-5553, 312-664-5253) hosts an accessories event on July 16th from 5 to 8 p.m. with Champagne, snacks, and a showing of accessories, including: Dana Levy’s one-of-a-kind jewelry, Laura White’s vintage jewelry, Vanessa Penna’s vintage kimono housewares, Lisa Kingsley’s exotic skin handbags, and Jill Stone’s vintage beaded bags. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Wicker Park, dress-only boutique le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899) holds a grand opening event with drinks, desserts, and shopping on July 18th from 3 to 9 p.m. Enter to win a card that entitles the holder to 30 percent off purchases for a year; attendees who buy receive gift bags (while supplies last) with items from other Wicker Park retailers.
- Nordstrom (55 E. Grand Ave., 312-464-1515; Oakbrook Center; 630-571-2121, Old Orchard Center, 847-677-2121; Woodfield Shopping Center, 847-605-2121) holds its storewide anniversary sale from July 18th through August 3rd, with pre-season discounts on fall merchandise.
- Leslie Hindman (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212) holds its Marketplace Auction, a mix of affordable furniture, accents, and artwork, starting at noon on July 15th and 16th.
- Shop discounts of 20 to 50 percent on furniture, accessories, jewelry, and home décor at the semi-annual sale at both locations of Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) through July 26th.
- The Akira stores along North Avenue (1814 to 1910 West North Avenue) host a sixth year anniversary, called Carnivale, on July 17th from 5 to 10 p.m. with live entertainment and complimentary cocktails and food. A $10 suggested donation; ten percent of the proceeds benefit Chicago Gateway Green.
- The annual Armitage/Halsted/Webster Sidewalk sale runs July 19th and 20th runs in conjunction with the Sheffield Garden Walk. Save up to 75 percent off spring merchandise and final clearance items; visit LincolnParkShopping.com for a list of stores.
- The Oak Street location of Madison and Friends (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; 720 Waukegan Rd., Deerfield, 847-236-4131) holds an indoor sidewalk sale on July 17th through 19th, with up to 80 percent off. At the Deerfield location, browse $5, $10, $15, and $20 sale bins from July 17th through 20th.
- Enaz (444 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-433-6466) celebrates the release of the movie Mama Mia! July 18th from 4 to 9 p.m. with Greek appetizers, drinks, shopping, and goody bags. Also earn a raffle ticket with purchase for prizes such as movie tickets and tea for two at The Peninsula Chicago. RSVP to rsvp@JLynnePR.com.
- Take 20 percent off all spring and summer merchandise and an additional 20 percent off sale merchandise at Gray (821 Chestnut Ct., Winnetka, 847-446-5650; 1361 N. Wells St., 312-573-0750), while merchandise lasts.
- Louis Vuitton has opened a department within Nordstrom (55 E. Grand Ave.; 312-527-3896), with leather goods, luggage, shoes, sunglasses, ties, and accessories.
- Enter to win three-day passes to Lollapalooza or a pair of tickets to Galapalooza, a dinner, concert, and sneak peek of the music fest, at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-4460; 600 N. Wabash Ave., 312-324-7500) through July 28.
- Makeup artists from organic makeup company Nvey Eco host a summer makeup event at the Silken Tent (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240) on July 19th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call to reserve a spot; the $35 fee is redeemable in products at the event.
- Urban Spa Chic (1401 W. Hubbard St.; 312-492-8050) offers 15 percent off retail products through July 31st, featuring brands such as i.d. bareMinerals, SkinCeuticals, DERMAdoctor, and others.
- Take 50 to 70 percent off clothing and gifts at the sidewalk sale at Randoons (962 ½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890) on July 18th and 19th.
- City Park Shops in Lincolnshire hosts a sidewalk sale from July 18th through 20th at stores such as K-Haus (255B Parkway Dr., Lincolnshire; 847-279-1800), Lori’s Shoes (275 Parkway Dr., Suite 613, Lincolnshire; 847-947-4851), and Illusions by Jill (275 Parkway Dr., Lincolnshire; 847-537-9732).
- The Elmhurst City Centre sidewalk sale runs July 18th and 19th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. See a full listing of stores at elmhurstcitycentre.com.
4 days ago
1 week ago