New Spot for a Green Shop
Chicago’s only nonprofit, eco-friendly, fair trade store, the Greenheart Shop (312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) has taken over the former Porte Rouge (porterouge.biz) building at 1911 West Division Street. Opening earlier this month, the bigger space now provides a wider selection of sustainable clothing, jewelry, body products, home décor, and accessories, such as multicolored mosaic cuff bracelets ($16), broken bangle frame ($28), and a yellow Isadora purse ($66). ”We decided in April, ‘let’s keep our eyes open, and if we find a spot that’s fabulous, we’ll take it,’” says manager Katherine Bissell Cordova. “So we did. And it’s the only fair trade store in that area, so we’re filling a nice niche.” The Greenheart Shop, a project of the Chicago-based Center for Cultural Interchange (cci-exchange.com), opened in October 2007 at 746 North LaSalle Drive. The former location has been converted into the Greenheart Center for Cultural Interchange and continues to serve as a community resource center with workshops, programs, and volunteer programs throughout the year as well as a small retail selection of fair trade products; similar events will also be held at the new Wicker Park store. To celebrate its relocation, the Greenheart Shop holds a fair trade fiesta with fair trade wine, chocolate, and other snacks on Thursday, July 23rd from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs presents the third annual Chicago Sidewalk Sale on Tuesday, July 21st and Wednesday, July 22nd from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., with fashion shows each day at 12 p.m. The event features shoes, clothing, and jewelry from local boutiques and designers, including Formé Millinery, Tongue Tied, and Shrink Boutique, at the Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington St.).
Wicker Park Fest (773-384-2672; wickerparkbucktown.com) features alternative indie music, food, and crafts from local vendors, Saturday, July 25th and Sunday, July 26th. Gate donation for the fest is $5. In conjunction with the event, more than 75 area boutiques and shops, including Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) will discount clothing, shoes, and accessories for the neighborhood’s weekend sidewalk sale.
To coincide with the Dearborn Garden Walk, the Oak Street Council (oakstreetchicago.com) holds an Oak Street shopping event, with deals at Dismero, Piazza Sempione, Juicy Couture, and more boutiques through Saturday, July 25th. Shoppers who mention the ‘Dearborn Garden Walk’ will be entered in a raffle to win a stay at the Sofitel (20 E. Chestnut St.; 312-324-4000, sofitel.com), brunch at Café des Architectes (20 E. Chestnut St.; 312-324-4063, cafedesarchitectes.com), dinner at Spiaggia (980 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-280-2750, spiaggiarestaurant.com), sweets from Sarah’s Pastries & Candies (70 E. Oak St.; 312-664-6223, sarahscandies.com), and items from other participating shops.
The Best of the Rest
- Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) takes 40 percent off Esque glass designs through Friday, July 31st.
- Plein Aire (2036 W. Division St.; 773-227-3772) holds its seasonal blowout sale, offering 40 percent off summer merchandise. From Thursday, July 23rd through Aug. 13th, the shop also offers free hip-hop yoga classes, wine, and shopping specials every Thursday from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Take 10 percent off select jewelry and accessories at Morlen Sinoway Atelier (1052 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-432-0100, morlensinoway.com) through Friday, July 31st.
- Hinsdale Furriers (33 East First St., Hinsdale; 630-323-1840, hinsdalefurriers.com) holds its Christmas in July sale on Friday, July 24th and Saturday, July 25th. The two-day event features a buy one, get one free special on new furs and shearling coats, jackets, and strollers, as well as Christmas music, holiday refreshments, and Santa.
- Galleria 1712 (1712 W. North Ave.; 773-235-1712, galleria1712.com) holds its 2009 summer fashion show, featuring items by LuDia Couture Designs, emeDesigns, and more on Saturday, July 25th at 3 p.m. Ten percent of all sales from the event go toward a summer art program for underprivileged children.
- The Central Street Business Association holds Evanston’s annual sidewalk sale, featuring more than 40 merchants from downtown Evanston as well as smaller surrounding shopping districts, from Friday, July 24th through Sunday, July 26th. In conjunction with the sidewalk sale, Stella (2116 Central St.; 847-864-5565, stellaevanston.com) holds an “Insider” special with 50 to 70 percent off many items and 20 percent off everything in the store during the sidewalk sale; look for other surprises on Thursday, July 23 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Kimball & Bean Garden Antiques (3606 S. Country Club Rd., Woodstock; 815-444-9000, kimballandbean.com) holds its third annual July Sale with discounts on everything in the shop, including lamps, mirrors, tables, chairs, and pillows, through Sunday, July 26th.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) offers 25 percent off its selection of tops, (excluding those by Michael Stars) Thursday, July 23rd through Sunday, July 26th.
- The Kaveri (1211 W. Webster; 773-296-2141, ekaveri.com) biannual sale takes 50 to 70 percent off spring/summer styles from Adam by Adam Lippes, C&C California, Rag & Bone, Tory Burch, and more.
- Deerfield Square’s annual Sidewalk Sale runs Thursday, July 23th through Saturday, July 25th with discounts from area boutiques, including up to 80 percent off at Madison and Friends (720 Waukegan Rd.; 847-236-4131, madisonandfriends.com).
- ULTA (800-968-5823; ulta.com for locations) holds Tame Your Mane workshops, teaching guests how to control their hair, Saturday, July 25th from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Sunday, July 26th from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and Saturday, Aug. 1st from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Reservations are recommended. To book an appointment, call 800-968-5823 or visit ulta.com
- Only holding two sales a year, His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111; 5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; hisstuffchicago.com) takes up to 50 percent off shorts, jeans, T-shirts, suits, pants, and more at its end of season sale starting Saturday, July 25th at 11 a.m.
- Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) takes 40 to 50 percent off summer merchandise.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) hold their shop-around-the-clock sales on Saturday, July 25th. The 50 percent discount starts at 8 a.m.; savings decrease every hour throughout the morning, but new merchandise is 20 percent off all day.
- Through July, Equinox Fitness Club (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-254-2500; 799 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-681-7777; 1750 N. Clark St., 312-254-4000; 200 W. Monroe St., 312-252-3100; equinox.com) holds a “Let Freedom Bring” sale. Shoppers who bring in gently used workout wear to be donated to a local charity receive 20 percent off purchases at The Shop at Equinox.
2 weeks ago