Despite the recession, Vipul (Victor) Aggarwal has continued to expand his small, family-run business. The 29-year-old entrepreneur recently opened Renew Spa (980 N. Michigan Ave., 2nd floor; 312-526-3891, renewspachicago.com), his third start-up business in three years. Believing that spas were either overpriced or dingy, Aggarwal sought to provide Chicagoans with something better. So he opened Lake View’s Nirvana Nail Salon (3356 N. Broadway St.; 773-697-0004, nirvananailsalon.com) in 2006, followed by Pure Nirvana Spa (3341 N. Southport Ave.; 773-698-6213, purenirvanaspa.com) in 2008. This May, Aggarwal took his mission a step further by making Renew eco-friendly as well as affordable. Renew uses vegan and organic products, such as Pevonia Botanica, and, despite its tony location at the corner of Michigan Avenue, the spa’s prices comparable to its sister salons. “People get scared because of our location. But our prices are 40 to 50 percent lower than our competition,” Aggarwal says. “I don’t think anyone can come close to us when we have a promotion, and we always have ongoing promotions.” Throughout July, Renew Spa offers Chicago readers exclusive discounts: Get a 60-minute massage for $49 (originally $85), a 90-minute massage for $75 (originally ($125), 35 percent off all other services from hand and foot therapies to body wraps. Readers also receive 15 percent off all medical-grade services performed by Faran Bokhari, a Cook County trauma surgeon, and retail products, from face cream and cleansing gel ($35 and up). To receive the discount, just mention Chicago magazine when scheduling an appointment.
Top Sales This Week
In collaboration with Second City Style (secondcitystyle.com), Coach (625 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-587-3167, coach.com) launches Poppy, its newest collection of handbags and accessories, with “Party With Poppy” on Thursday, July 9th from 5 to 7 p.m. The event features treats, music, and a “Poppy-razzi” photo booth. Guests receive free Poppy pins and pencils; those who spend more than $198 get a Poppy pencil case. Three attendees will also each win a $1,000 shopping spree. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In celebration of the Taste of Park Ridge, Nika (143 N. Northwest Highway, Park Ridge; 847-696-1700, nikabutik.com) holds a sidewalk sale with 20 to 80 percent off all merchandise and free refreshments July 9th through 11th. Shoppers receive a free gift with purchase while supplies last.
The annual Hinsdale merchants’ sidewalk sale, located between Garfield and Washington streets from Hinsdale Avenue to First Street, runs July 10th and 11th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The free indoor-outdoor event features up to 70 percent off at downtown area shops, including Schoen’s (120 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-323-2400) and Urban Sole (49 S. Washington St., Hinsdale; 630-323-5023).
The Best of the Rest
- Veruca Salt (shopverucasalt.com) holds Mid-Summer Makeover events, featuring Vincent Longo makeup and tips from licensed esthetician Irena Schoen, Tuesday, July 7th at its River North location (520 N. Kingsbury St.; 773-276-3888) and Thursday, July 9th at its Bucktown location (1921 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-9888). Both events are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and include free refreshments. Guests also get 30 percent off Vincent Longo makeup products and selected summer merchandise.
- Located on Chicago Avenue from Damen Avenue to Wood Street, the West Town Chamber of Commerce’s WestFest (westfestchicago.com) features fine art, handmade crafts, live music, and more, on July 11th and 12th. As part of the event, SoKo Fashion (1925 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-592-1089, sokofashion.com) and Chicago Avenue Salon (1941 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-421-0336, chicagoavenuesalon.com) host a Dress Fest fashion show on Sunday, July 12th at 2 p.m. Throughout July, Chicago Avenue Salon offers 25 percent off any service to clients who mention the fashion show. Admission to WestFest is $5.
- To kick off its new e-commerce website, Lissa On Maxwell (729 W. Maxwell St.; 312-563-9470, lissaonmaxwell.com) takes 20 percent off all purchases through July 10th. Online shoppers must enter code “launch20” to get the discount.
- Sales Check readers receive 20 percent off a custom-made ring, bracelet, or necklace from MyNewJewels by Carolina Cole (mynewjewels.com). Clients choose the item’s color, texture, and size at a personal consultation, which can be scheduled by calling 847-940-8705. Mention Sales Check and bring a copy of the newsletter to your appointment to receive the discount.
- Caroline DeVillo Couture (1616 N. Damen Ave., Suite 301; 773-342-0096, carolinedevillo.com) holds a “Try One On, Win Half Off” event through July 11th. Brides who try on a wedding gown are entered to win 50 percent off a gown of their choice. Those who purchase a gown receive three raffle tickets. The drawing will be held July 11th at 5 p.m. By appointment only.
- This week, take 40 to 70 percent off spring/summer clothing at Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754, pivotboutique.com).
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) kicks off its floor model sale on Friday, July 10th with up to 70 percent off floor model and back stock sofas, chairs, beds, tables, and more.
- Save 50 percent on most sale items at Madison and Friends (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; 720 Waukegan Rd., Deerfield; 847-236-4131; madisonandfriends.com). All sales final.
- Ciao Bella(3829 N. Southport Ave.; 773-388-2201, ciaobellachicago.com)kicks off its summer sale July 7th with 30 to 60 percent off selected merchandise.
- Sign up for the e-mail list at Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) and receive $25 off a purchase of $100 or more July 7th through 13th. After registering, print out and bring in the VIP coupon found on hubbahubbachicago.com’s Specials page.
- Elizabeth M. Fashion (100 E. Walton St., Suite 102; 312-255-1088, elizabethmfashion.com) features a new boutique that specializes in custom made apparel and accessories. Customers receive 15 percent off their first purchase and are entered in a raffle for a chance to win a Elizabeth M.–designed piece.
- Save up to 50 percent on designer shoes at Lori’s Shoes (824 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-281-5655, lorisshoes.com) during its summer sale. From July 10th through 15th, take an additional 20 percent off sale items. All sales final.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) features more than 800 lots of American, English, and Continental pieces at its fine furniture and decorative arts auction, July 12th and 13th. Preview events happen July 8th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., July 9th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., July 10th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and July 11th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Take 20 percent off all Maruca Purses at Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com).
- Spex (1819 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park; 847-266-6400, spexchicago.com) holds the opening reception for its next ART+VISION event, featuring work by the artists Danielle Madole and Zissou Tasseff-Elenkoff, David Yurman eyewear, and free drinks and hors d’oeuvres, Friday, July 10th from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Madole’s and Tasseff-Elenkoff’s work will be on display through August 21st.
Closings and Relocations
Until closing at the end of August, Findables (1643 N. Milwaukee Ave; 773-235-9740, findables.com) takes up to 75 percent off all items, including its signature line of tableware and accessories, MacKenzie-Childs. Owner David James Ginople plans to carry the store’s best-selling product lines at his second store, Store B Vintage (1472 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-772-4296), in the near future.
28 minutes ago