Giving green a new name
Born and raised in Yugoslavia, Lillian Ostojich says she has spent most of her life developing ways to encourage healthy ways of living. A doctor who has dabbled in business, Ostojich created Zoetica (1250 N. LaSalle Dr.; 866-963-8422, zoetica.net), an organic health and wellness facility certified by the USDA—perhaps the nation’s first. “We really did everything possible to make it as pure as possible,” says Ostojich, who spent nearly four years planning the venture. As its certification suggests, Zoetica, which opened in April, uses refurbished, organic, or eco-friendly products in everything from the ceiling tiles to the decorative art. Inside the three-floor facility, guests have the option of receiving basic services, like hand treatments (from $40) and foot treatments (from $65), to more involved ones, such as a personalized health assessment, which will be available at the end of August. In addition to wellness services, Zoetica offers an exclusive new line of USDA certified organic face and body care products, Zoetica ONE, created by Ostojich. “There was really nothing in the market that I thought was good enough to be pure and efficient, so out of necessity, I formulated my own line,” she says. The line includes eye make-up remover ($28), almond facial cleanser ($36), and hand healing balm ($35). Online, you can find Zoetica’s custom-made, eco-friendly furniture, such as a tiled coffee table ($4,400) or manicure station ($1,800), along with sustainable gifts, food, and water and air filters.
Top Sales This Week
Crescendo (222 W. Ontario St.; 312-376-3111, clubcrescendo.com) kicks off its first of bi-monthly shop-and-sip event series, Stylebar, with discounted clothing and accessories, music, drinks, spa and beauty services, and gift bags, on Wednesday, July 29th from 7 to 10 p.m. Guests may also enter to win a raffle prize worth more than $1,000. Tickets, available at seemoreshopping.com, are $30 in advance, or $40 at door.
The semiannual Scandal Sale at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) runs Friday, July 31st through Saturday, August 8th. Take 20 to 40 percent off all clothing and 10 percent off accessories and other merchandise. The sale also features a new ‘Scandal of the Day’ item at 50 percent off each day of the event.
Exhale Spa (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500, exhalespa.com) offers new customers its “One Week of Transformation” package for $40. It includes unlimited yoga and core fusion classes for a week, 20 percent off selected spa therapies, and 10 percent off retail items. The offer also applies to those who have not visited the spa in the past three months. Call 312-753-6500 or visit exhalespa.com for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- One Mind, Body & Being (2035 W. Wabansia Ave.; 773-360-1397, onemindbodybeing.com) and Fitness4Cancer (fitness4cancer.com) host a St. Jude’s Research Hospital benefit with appetizers, drinks, gift bags, and silent auction on Thursday, July 30th from 6:30 to 9 p.m. For tickets, $40 in advance or $50 at the door, e-mail email@example.com or call 773-360-1397.
- Penelope’s (1913 W. Division St.; 773-395-2351, shoppenelopes.com) takes 20 to 60 percent off all spring and selected summer clothing and accessories through mid-August.
- The Design Center at Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 800-677-6278, merchandisemartdesigncenter.com) holds a luxury sample sale, featuring up to 75 percent off fine art, antiques, lighting, accessories, and more, at participating showrooms, Thursday, July 30th through Saturday, August 1st from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cutrone Hair + Barbershop (3118 W. 111th St.; 773-881-1685, cutronehair.com) offers student and industry discounts. Every Monday, service and hospitality workers can get haircuts starting at $15 when they bring in a check stub; every Thursday, students who show their school I.D. get the same discount.
- Ultimo (116 E. Oak St.; 312-787-1171, ultimo.com) offers free domestic UPS ground shipping at its website through Friday, July 31st. To receive discount, enter code ‘FREESHIP’ at checkout.
- In its 52nd year, Gold Coast Art Fair (847-926-4300, amdurproductions.com) runs on LaSalle, Superior, Huron and Erie streets, from Friday, July 31st through Sunday, August 2nd. The free event features more than 300 juried artists from around the world as well as music, food, and activities.
- Retro on Roscoe (2000 W. Roscoe St.; 773-665-4682, roscoevillage.org) returns with dozens of artisans and antiques vendors on Saturday, August 1st and Sunday, August 2nd. The event also includes three stages of entertainment, the Windy City Chili Cook-Off competition, and an antique car show. Admission is $5.
- Riley (1659 N. Damen Ave., 773-489-0101, shopriley.com) takes 20 to 70 percent off summer collections.
- As part of its Dream Weeks event, Hästens (430 N. Wells St., 312-527-5337; 976 Green Bay Rd., 847-441-5337; hastens.com), a Swedish bed manufacturing company, discounts selected, in-stock queen and king models. Through August 15th, the Hästens 2000T is $16,050 (originally $22,950), the Excelsior is $10,220 (originally $14,600), and the Continental is $7,315 (originally $10,450).
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) takes 30 to 50 percent off all annuals, herbs, perennials, trees, and shrubs at its yearly garden sale, August 1st through 10th. Garden containers, excluding Terrazzolite items, are also 30 to 50 percent off. The garden sale runs in conjunction with the final 10 days of the store’s Floor Model & More sale, which offers up to 70 percent off selected furniture.
- Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) holds a joint trunk show with the local jewelry line Jules (shopjules.com) on Thursday, August 6th from 3 to 8 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, August 5th.
- Through Monday, August 31st, Chic Gems (312-602-2561; chicgemsetc.com) donates 20 percent of proceeds from its online trunk show to the Chicago Women’s AIDS Project (cwapchicago.org). To receive 10 percent off all purchases, enter code ‘cwapsisters’ at online checkout.
- Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) holds its semiannual “Shop and Swap” event on Wednesday, July 29th from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Shoppers may bring in gently used items from Robin Richman and comparable designers to sell back for cash. The boutique also begins taking 75 percent off its spring/summer 2009 collection at the event.
- Peek-a-Boutique (2750 Dundee Rd., Northbrook; 847-272-7133, peek-a-boutique.com) hosts an in-store sale with 30 to 80 percent off most summer styles Thursday, July 30th through Saturday, August 1st. Also during those three days, the boutique holds a My Little Pumpkin trunk show, featuring custom baby and toddler accessories.
- To make room for fall merchandise, Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247, bessandloie.com) takes up to 80 percent off its summer collections.
- His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St.; 773-989-9111, hisstuffchicago.com) takes up to 80 percent off jeans, dress shirts, pants, and more at its Andersonville location August 1st and 2nd from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Clever Alice (1920 N. Damen Ave.; 773-276-2444, cleveralice.com) hosts a Mary Meyer sample sale with 30 to 70 percent off designer rompers, jumpers, and more through Friday, July 31st.
- Spex (2316 N. Clark St., 773-404-0777; spexchicago.com) holds the opening reception for its next ART+VISION event, featuring Lindsay Schlesser photography, Seraphin eyewear, drinks, and hors d’oeuvres, Friday, July 31st from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Schlesser’s work will be on display through August 14th.
4 days ago