When Lance Lawson and Jim Wetzel closed their popular boutique, Jake (939 N. Rush St.), in April, they planned to open a pop-up store this past spring and a concept store in the fall of 2010. But things changed when representatives from The 900 Shops asked the pair if they’d be interested in opening a new boutique in an empty space on the fifth floor. “They came to us with this great opportunity to develop a concept for this space, and we love being here,” says Lawson. Named literally after its location in the Gold Coast mall, space 519 (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-751-1519, space519.com) carries a mix of women’s and men’s apparel and accessories; apothecary products; and home furnishings, books, and magazines from all over the world. Lawson and Wetzel describe the new collaboration as a “refined general store” filled with all of their favorite things. “We wanted to recapture the excitement in shopping and make it fun and easy again,” says Wetzel. They plan to switch out certain areas of the shop every two to three months, but, for now, their favorite finds include Baldwin denim for men ($220) and shorts for women ($178); a J Park women’s drawstring dress ($225); vintage driftwood lamps ($395), Wm. J. Mills totes (from $155); and Millianna’s crystal, ribbon, and fish wire jewelry ($125 to $298). On the beauty side, chemical-free nail polish from Rescue Beauty ($18.95) and RGB ($14.95); shampoo, conditioner, and spray wax by Sachajuan ($28.95); and RMS Beauty eye shadow ($28 to $36) and virgin coconut milk moisturizer ($15). In the fall, look for space 519’s own line of sweaters and knits.
Top Sales This Week
Take at least 50 percent off selected full-priced items at Chalk (2611 Prairie Ave., Evanston; 847-424-0011, chalkofevanston.com) and Perennials (2022 Central St., Evanston; 847-475-8327, perennialsevanston.com) during Evanston’s 28th annual sidewalk sale, Thursday, July 15th through Saturday, July 17th. For more information, visit centralstreet-evanston.com/events.
Akira (1814 W. North Ave.; 1849 W. North Ave.; 1910 W. North Ave.; 773-489-0818, akirachicago.com) celebrates eight years at all Bucktown locations on Thursday, July 15th, from 4 to 9 p.m. Shoppers receive buy-two-get-one-free deals on all purchases and a free gift with purchase, as well as cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
The Best of the Rest
- StyleChicago (stylechicago.com) hosts its second annual Evening of Modern Beauty event with spa services, product trials, eyebrow waxing, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres, at the W Chicago – City Center (172 W. Adams St.; 312-332-1200, whotels.com) on Thursday, July 22nd, from 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $35; VIP tickets, $45, include a goody bag filled with items valued at more than $250. Advance purchase only; call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com. Must be 21 years or older.
- The Highwood Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, highwoodstreetmarket.com) returns with antique and vintage jewelry, furniture, clothing, linens, and more from 150 vendors between Green Bay Road, Everts Park, and Highwood and North avenues on Saturday, July 17th, and Sunday, July 18th. Tickets, good for the entire weekend, are $5 in advance at highwoodstreetmarket.com or $6 at the gate.
- Browse through gowns from Vera Wang Chicago and Belle Vie Bridal Couture and enjoy entertainment, cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, gift bags, and a raffle at Galleria Marchetti (825 W. Erie St.; 312-563-0495, galleriamarchetti.com) on Thursday, July 15th, from 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets, $20, are available at michelledurpettievents.eventbrite.com. For more information, call 312-988-9900 ext. 21.
- ULTA State Street (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com/store/statestreet/) features Long Stemmed Lashes product demonstrations and free makeovers on Thursday, July 15th, and Friday, July 16th. Spend at least $40 on Too Faced Cosmetics products to get a travel size mascara. Call 312-279-5081 for an appointment.
- Steel Petal Press (steelpetalpress.etsy.com) holds a book binding workshop at Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) on Saturday, July 17th, from 5 to 7 p.m. Tickets, $30, include all materials and drinks; call 312-698-8685 to register. Wolfbait & B-girls also hosts a Barrelmaker Clothing Co. (barrelmakerclothing.com) trunk show on Sunday, July 18th, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Stitch (1723 N. Damen Ave.; 773-782-1570, stitchchicago.com) takes 20 percent off Gus* Essentials upholstered furniture and 30 percent off Missoni beach towels Thursday, July 15th, through Sunday, August 15th.
- The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs kicks off its Tea at 3 series on Tuesday, July 13th, at 3 p.m., at Maxim’s: The Nancy Goldberg International Center (24 E. Goethe St.; 312-236-7717, maximschicago.org). The inaugural event features a tea tasting, sandwiches, and snacks, and a Fall 2010 men’s fashion show by Syd Jerome (sydjerome.com). Tickets, $25, are available at maximschicago.org or 312-742-8497.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) hosts its fine furniture and decorative arts auction on Sunday, July 18th, and Monday, July 19th, at 12 p.m. Previews are Wednesday, July 14th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday, July 15th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, July 16th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, July 17th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Located in the Hubbard Woods, West Elm Street, and East Elm Street shopping districts, Winnetka Day sidewalk sales feature outdoor shopping, arts and crafts, and jazz music Friday, July 16th, and Saturday, July 17th, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call 847-446-4451 or visit winnetkachamber.com.
- Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) welcomes its new collection of 100 artists with a party on Thursday, July 15th, from 6 to 9 p.m.
Attention Sales Check readers: We want your feedback! Why do you subscribe to this newsletter? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Are there sales and shopping events at Chicagoland stores that we’re missing? Please send your tips, complaints, and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2 days ago