Cool, Calm, and Collected
A few years ago, Melanie Thomas, a marriage and family therapist, sought to create a shop that sold products to soothe the body and mind. In June, Thomas achieved her goal with help from her daughters, Alyssa and Bethany, by launching Comfort Me (651 W. Armitage Ave.; 312-255-1412; comfortmeboutique.com), a new lifestyle boutique in Lincoln Park. “My mom has been a therapist for about 15 years, and the concept evolved from that,” says Alyssa, Melanie’s oldest daughter. “It evolved even more when our family’s golden retriever passed away, and when my mom became a breast cancer survivor.” The thing that got Melanie through all those changes was the support of her family and friends, says Alyssa, so she wanted to make an assortment of comfort-centered clothing, accessories, home furnishings, and gardening essentials available in one shop. Most of Comfort Me’s items cost around $100, but you’ll also find chocolate bars ($2.95), sculptures ($5,000), antique and vintage bottles that shoppers can stick unique messages in for any occasion ($7 to $15), and a brightly colored hammock made from recycled rope ($248).
Top Sales This Week
Grow (1943 W. Division St.; 773-489-0009, grow-kids.com) prepares for its five-year anniversary with weekly deals through September. Through Sunday, July 10, take 20 percent off infant sleep sacs and, through Sunday, July 31, find Nook organic play mats for $99 (originally $120). Other upcoming deals include 20 percent off pants and knot hats Monday, July 11, through Sunday, July 17; 20 percent off dresses Monday, July 18, through Sunday, July 24; and 20 percent off towels and blankets Monday, July 25, through Sunday, July 31.
Save up to 70 percent on tunics, trench coats, dresses, and more at Penelope’s (1913 W. Division St.; 773-395-2351, shoppenelopes.com) through Friday, July 15.
The Best of the Rest
- Look for antiques, jewelry, home décor, and more during the Granville Summer Market Days (773-506-4016, edgewaterdev.org). Located at the corner of Granville Avenue and Broadway, the temporary retail event is held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays through August 21st.
- Genevieve Lethu (900 N. Michigan, 4th floor; 312-423-9948, genevievelethu.com) offers 20 percent off all picnic and beach themed products, from plates and glasses to lunch bags and tablecloths, as well as 50 percent off selected discontinued patterns and styles through Wednesday, August 31.
- Take 20 percent off all full-price items at Elevenzees (1901 W. Division St.; 773-772-1150, elevenzees.com) through Monday, July 11. The boutique also hosts an event with psychic Nancy Wallace on Saturday, July 9; call 773-772-1150 to schedule a reading.
- Hot Mama (for locations, shopmama.com) is opening a new location in Oakbrook Center (437 Oakbrook Center) this month. The new space marks the sixth Hot Mama store in Illinois.
- Malachi Artese (malachiartese.com) and the American Red Cross (redcross.org) host Fashion Against Disaster with music, food, and fashion at Akira (108 N. State St.; 312-346-3355, shopakira.com) on Sunday, July 17, from 4 to 8 p.m. Guests save up to 20 percent throughout the boutique. Tickets are $30 and $35 for VIP extras; a portion of the event’s proceeds go to the American Red Cross.
- The dana hotel and spa (660 N. State St.; 312-202-6040, danahotelandspa.com/spa) offers martini manicures every Thursday this summer from 5 to 8 p.m. starting July 7th. Choose from the Japanese Lime martini, coconut mojito, or sangria as you receive a 25-minute manicure for $30. Call 312-202-6040 to book.
- Explore more than 60 wedding exhibits for cakes, music, photographers, and flowers during this year’s Bridal Expo (bridalshowexpo.com) on Sunday, July 10, from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the DoubleTree Hotel Oak Brook (1909 Spring Rd., Oak Brook; 630-472-6000, doubletree.hilton.com) and Wednesday, July 13, from 5:45 to 10 p.m., at Georgios Banquets (8800 W. 159th St., Orland Park; 708-403-1100, georgios.com). Tickets are $10 in advance via 847-428-3320 x 221, or $15 at the door.
- Bright Pink (bebrightpink.org) holds its fourth annual “For the Women We Love” event on Sunday, July 10, from 1 to 4 p.m., featuring a live harpist, a silent auction, a professional photographer, and more. Tickets, $75, are available at bebrightpink.org/events; event proceeds will benefit Bright Pink’s education and awareness programs.
22 hours ago
2 weeks ago