Bringing Nickels Back
The nickel’s gotten a bum deal. Little to no purchase power since the 1940s. Often mistaken for the far preferable quarter. And the Canadian rockers known as Nickelback have done it few favors. But later this week, the five-cent piece is king at City Soles (2001 W. North Ave., 773-489-2001, citysoles.com), which holds its semiannual nickel sale Thursday, July 12 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Buy any pair of shoes—from casual cork wedges to European leather boots—at the full price and get a second pair for just a nickel.
Top Sales This Week
End-of-season markdowns are underway at Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave., 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com). Select pieces are 50 to 75 percent off, while all other clothes and shoes from spring and summer collections are 35 to 50 percent off. We spied a Rick Owens tunic ($306, marked down from $510), a Marc Le Bihan silk top ($427, marked down from $625) and a Gary Graham silk dress ($266, marked down from $720). Plus: All Dusica and Calleen Cordero sandals are discounted by 50 percent.
The latest clothes and accessories from Akira, JoJo & Sofia, and Thread Lounge—among other Chicago designers and retailers—go down the catwalk during A Midsummer Fashion Show at Lincoln Park’s Mini Cooper dealership (1111 W. Diversey Pkwy.) on Friday, July 13 at 7 p.m. Tickets ($20–$75) benefit The Human Rights Campaign and can be purchased online.
The Best of the Rest
- The Chicago-based jewelry line Ellie Thompson & Co. (8 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 2203, 312-263-2264, ellieco.com) hosts a not-so-secret “secret sale” Wednesday, July 11 through Friday, July 13 in its showroom. Save 20 to 70 percent on all in-stock jewelry, and receive special pricing (from 20 percent off) on custom orders.
- Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720, markshale.com) teams up with the local fashion bloggers Ana Fonua (chi-stylemaven.blogspot.com) and Jennifer Worman (redsolesandredwine.com) for a shopping event Thursday, July 12 from 5 to 7 p.m. Stop in to sip drinks, or style yourself in Mark Shale clothing to compete for the chance to win a swag bag of summer goodies.
- Chasing down the ice cream man is kids’ stuff. Be a grownup and calmly collect your complimentary treat from the truck parked outside the Bucktown location of The Red Balloon Co. (1940 N. Damen Ave., 773-489-9800, theredballoon.com), a children’s boutique, on Saturday, July 14 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The home décor shop CarefulPeach Boutique (1024 North Blvd., Oak Park, 708-383-3066, carefulpeach.com) celebrates Bastille Day with live music, gourmet French treats, goodie bags, and 20 percent off everything in the store on Saturday, July 14 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Francophiles at The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave., 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) also fete Bastille Day by giving shoppers 14 percent off pieces from the handmade French jewelry line, La Vie Parisienne—plus complimentary St. Germain cocktails and treats from Toni’s Patisserie & Café—on Saturday, July 14 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- In Uptown, shop the newbie market Vintage Garage Chicago (5051 N. Broadway, vintagegaragechicago.com) on Sunday, July 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for retro bicycles, clothing, jewelry, and decor galore. Admission is $3.
- Home to many a statement necklace, Mali Jewelry and Accessories (204 N. Michigan Ave., 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) holds a 30 percent off sale on its colorful, semi-precious stone baubles through the end of July. Shop in the store or online with the checkout code “30.”
6 days ago
3 weeks ago