Right on Target
The new CityTarget (1 S. State St., 312-279-2133, target.com) in the historic Sullivan Center (formally the Carson Pirie Scott building) officially opens Wednesday, July 25 at 7 a.m., but we’re told to expect more fanfare—and store specials—during a grand-opening event on Sunday, July 29. The store is one of five smaller-scale “urban” Targets the megaretailer plans to launch this year in cities including L.A., San Francisco, and Seattle. Chicago’s CityTarget, designed to be a one-stop, commuter-accessible shop, features a grocery area, pharmacy, and Pret A Manger gourmet sandwiches. More importantly (at least to us), the store’s apparel section is set to stock the Target and Neiman Marcus holiday collaboration that was announced earlier this month. Designers including Oscar de la Renta, Diane von Furstenberg, and Marc Jacobs created more than 50 limited-edition gift items that will be available starting (and likely ending) Saturday, December 1. If Missoni for Target taught us anything, it’s to mark our calendars now.
Top Sales This Week
The first-ever Lollapalooza-themed LollaShop (332 S. Michigan Ave.) pop-up store opens Friday, July 27—a week before the festival kicks off—and runs through Monday, August 6. The short-lived shop gets the Lolla party started with t-shirts and official merchandise, ticket-giveaways, special events, and autograph signings with performers.
The Bucktown plus-size boutique Vive La Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave., 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com) hosts a party Thursday, July 26 at 6:30 p.m. to showcase comfortable, beat-the-heat clothing solutions. The store also serves up cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and samples from LUSH cosmetics, as well as offering 20 percent off attendees’ purchases. Call ahead to RSVP.
The Best of the Rest
- The summer sale at the women’s boutique Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave., 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) is in full swing. Get 40 percent off select clothes, accessories, and shoes by designers such as Nieves Lavi, Alexis, and Cut 25, while supplies last.
- The shops of Highland Park—more than 80 of ‘em—offer bargains galore during the annual Sidewalk Sale Days (Central Avenue between First Street and Second Street). Browse designer clothing, home accessories, artwork, jewelry, furs, and more Thursday, July 26 through Saturday, July 28 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The kids’ consignment shop The Second Child (954 W. Armitage Ave., 773-883-0880, 2ndchild.com) celebrates 25 years in business with 50 percent off all clothing and shoes on Friday, July 27 and a whopping 75 percent off on Saturday, July 28.
- Bella Bleu Couture Bridal & Specialty Accessories (143 N. Northwest Hwy., Park Ridge, 847-696-7152, bellableubridal.com) hosts a Sara Gabriel Veiling & Headpieces trunk show on Friday, July 27 and Saturday, July 28. Meet the designer and receive 10 percent off orders.
- The Press Bike (pressbike.com), an awesomely retro letterpress print shop on wheels, parks outside Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave., 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) on Saturday, July 28 from 2 to 3 p.m. Create your own unique, printed projects on paper from the back of a bike. Better yet? It’s free.
Openings, Closings, and Relocations
After moving down the block, the clothing and gifts store Comfort Me Boutique (701 W. Armitage Ave., 312-255-1412, comfortmeboutique.com) reopens Thursday, July 26 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 4 p.m. Stick around to celebrate with light snacks, wine from Poison Cup, live music, and discounts including up to 75 percent off sale items.
The interior design store Branca (17 E. Pearson St., 312-787-1017, branca.com) relocates its inventory to 1325 North State Street this fall. Until then, the shop takes up to 60 percent off furniture, home decor, antiques, and one-of-a-kind home items.
2 days ago
5 days ago