Expectant moms—and those who purchase gifts for them—tend to go a little overboard on the pink and blue, the bunnies and ducks, the ruffles and sports-themes. Twinkle Twinkle Little One (3224 N. Damen Ave.; 773-472-3000), a new kids’ home boutique in Roscoe Village, aims to change that with its stylish décor and furniture that can grow with the child. “When I had my own kids, I did everything wrong,” says owner Rachel Glasson, who has a three-year-old and a one-year-old. “I went way too cutesy.” At Glasson’s boutique, you’ll find custom-built Relic cribs (prices range $800 to $900) and Moonlight Slumber crib mattresses, a top quality brand that just happens to be made in Elgin. In the back of the store, look for a huge selection of linens—from Serena & Lily, Bebe Chic, and Elizabeth Allen Atelier (for bumpers, sheets, and crib skirts), as well as a selection of fabrics for the comfortable Best chair (that’s really what it’s called), which comes in custom sizes, fabrics, colors, and can be a built as a glider, swivel chair, or recliner (prices start at $400). Also spotted: a selection of beautiful gifts like canvas prints of cute monkeys and owls from local artist Meghann O’Hara; a beautiful soft baby blanket with satin trim ($73); reversible bibs with mod patterns ($17); a hand-embroidered sling ($129) that is smartly sized by the mother’s (or father’s) height; and a contemporary doll house from Plan Toys that is made from recycled rubber trees.Top Sales This Week
The High Gloss Summer Sample Sale features designers from Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Paris, and includes items such as prints and knits from Lana and sportswear designer Barbara Lesser, and dresses from Samantha Sung. Prices are 50 to 75 percent off retail. The event offers private dressing rooms, and a half hour of free parking for those who buy. The event runs June 27th from 4 to 9 p.m., June 28th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and June 29th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at The Belden Centre (2301 N. Clark St.). Admission is free; visit shophighgloss.com for more info.The Best of the Rest
- SHE (1024 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-880-8061) celebrates its first anniversary on June 25th from 7 to 9 p.m., offering complimentary Champagne and treats, and turning its floor into a Candy Land board, where customers have the chance to spin for discounts. Email email@example.com to attend.
- Take 30 to 70 percent off spring and summer merchandise from designers such as Just Cavalli, Versace Jeans Couture, and D&G by Dolce and Gabbana at Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940). Casual wear starts at $75; evening attire runs up to $500. Sale lasts while supplies last.
- Kids’ store Beansprout (3732 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-4780) is closing on July 6th, after four years in Lake View. All merchandise is marked down 40 to 70 percent off.
- Bring in gently used professional clothing, appropriate for spring or summer, to Dismero (50 E. Oak St.; 312-680-6590) from June 26th through 29th. Those who donate receive 20 percent off any yellow or orange items; donated clothing will go to The Bottomless Closet.
- House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) hosts a summer sale with up to 40 percent off select styles from June 27th through July 6th.
- Take advantage of deep discounts at the bi-annual sale at Roslyn (2035 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-1311). Look for items such as a Vera Wang strapless dress marked from $538 to $268, or a top from Jovovich Hawk marked from $345 to $88.
- Pivot (1101 West Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) hosts a jewelry bazaar with six local designers, including Recycled Rings and Simply Wood, on June 25th from 6 to 8 p.m. Ten percent of each designer’s sales for the evening will be donated to an environmental organization of their choice.
- The end of season sale at G-Star Raw (1525 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-342-2623) runs through July 10th, but stop in by June 30th to take 20 percent off the entire denim collection.
- Fly Bird (719 Lake St., Oak Park; 708-383-3330) holds a sidewalk sale on June 27th and June 28th, where everything on the sidewalk is marked 50 percent off. On June 29th, everything is 75 percent off when purchased with cash outdoors, with discounts on Alessi products indoors.
- B Boutique (1117 W Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102) hosts another segment of The Style Series on June 26th from 6 to 9 p.m., with Carol Calacci, the co-founder of SecondCityStyle.com, who will offer tips on accessorizing, shopping, and creating the perfect wardrobe for women over 40. RSVP to Amanda@b-chicago.com.
- Take 20 percent off the entire store and receive complimentary makeup from Fuga salon at Ciao Bella (3829 N. Southport Ave.; 773-388-2201) during the Ladies Happy Hour on June 25th from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- Funkshion (2121 W. Division St.; 773-697-4119) host an event with Fortune Denim on June 28th from 7 to 11 p.m. with more than $2,000 in giveaways.
- The Clinique counter at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4478) offers a “buy one, try two” event through June 29th. Purchase a liquid facial soap, Clarifying Lotion, or Dramatically Different Moisturizer and receive complimentary deluxe samples of the other two steps.
- The Chicago Fashionista’s Club (hosted by Chic Gems and vfish designs) offers 40 percent off both collections on June 26th from 5 to 9 p.m. at vfish design studio (808 W. Armitage Ave.). Preview at Chicgemsetc.com and vfishdesigns.com.
- Phaiz (673 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 312-226-9070) hosts its next installation, “It’s Pop, It’s Art” through June 28th featuring works where visual artists took inspiration from pop songs.
- Spex (522 Dempster St., Evanston; 847-864-5200) celebrates its one-year anniversary on June 28th from noon to 4 p.m. with a Prada trunk show, and a raffle for a free pairs of Prada frames.
- Pet boutique Cody & Carl’s Blvd. (756 W. Northwest Hwy., Barrington; 847-304-7140) hosts its third annual Canine Wedding on June 28th, joining a shih-tzu and a daschund in holy matrimony. Guests are asked to bring a doggie gift for the Animal House Shelter, and the shop will also have an adoption day and a reception with a DJ, dancing, and cake. The ceremony starts at 1 p.m.; reception lasts until 4 p.m.
- Greer (1657 N. Wells St.; 312-337-8000) holds a reception on June 28th from 1 to 4 p.m. for The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day, co-written by Chicago author Lisbeth Levine and celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss. Levine will be on hand to sign copies and field questions from engaged couples.
3 days ago
2 weeks ago