Worldly Gems Galore
Women’s couture fashion. Custom-made Italian suits for men. Famous paintings. Tribal masks from Indonesia. You name it, and Atelier (714 N. Wells St.; 312-403-1998, atelierchicago.us) probably has it. After all, the new River North boutique carries a mix of new and vintage findings from around the world. “We have the finest of the finest [alongside] reasonably priced items,” says Kathryn Sullivan Alvera, who co-owns the boutique with her longtime business partner Jason Clark. (The duo also runs Prosecco, an Italian restaurant down the block.) One major highlight is the Roberto Pesce Collection of one-of-a-kind, handmade Italian dress shirts, silk ties, tuxedos, jackets, and overcoats for men as well as silk blouses, suits, jackets, trench coats, and silk scarves for women. On the vintage side, clothing racks are stocked with luxury consignment pieces, such as a Lanvin white jacket ($449), Dolce & Gabbana silk pearl button top ($269), Prada staple black cap sleeve dress ($439). Ranging from $25 to $25,000, everything within Atelier’s four walls is for sale—even if it looks like décor—including rarities such as Howard Chandler Christy’s 1924 portrait of First Lady Grace Coolidge ($25,000), a Cartier malachite green lighter ($1,250), and a one-of-a-kind ostrich white handbag ($395). Because Sullivan Alvera and Clark also manage Prosecco, they’re combining the business in special offers: For example, Atelier shoppers who buy a lunch entrée at the restaurant Mondays through Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. get a free glass of Champagne or dessert. Atelier also features private events, such as cocktail parties, for men and women upon request. “Where else can you go have a glass of white wine while trying on a Lanvin dress?” says Sullivan Alvera.
Top Sales This Week
Heaven Gallery (1550 N. Milwaukee Ave., 2nd floor; 773-342-4597, heavengallery.com) hosts its Vintage Heaven Big Sale event with clothing and jewelry from Bunny’s Trunk Show (bunnystrunkshow.com), Knee Deep Vintage (kneedeepvintage.com), Pistol Bazaar, and more on Saturday, June 5th and Sunday, June 6th from 12 to 6 p.m.
Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) offers discounts throughout the store during its spring designer and men’s sale, Thursday, June 3rd through Wednesday, June 9th. Take up to 40 percent off selected items in women’s designer sportswear, couture apparel, eveningwear, dresses, and intimates; 50 percent off women’s career and contemporary sportswear, and selected furs; 33 percent off women’s shoes, fashion accessories, and handbags; 33 percent off men’s suits, sportswear, sport coats, pants, dress shirts, shoes, accessories, and neckwear; 30 percent off designer jewelry; 25 percent off children’s apparel; and 25 percent off men’s personal furnishings.
The Best of the Rest
- Chalet Nursery & Garden Shops (3132 Lake Ave., Wilmette; 847-256-0561, chaletnursery.com) holds its first ladies night out on Wednesday, June 2nd from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Guest get 20 percent off selected in-house items; tips on outdoor decorating and summer entertaining; the chance to win raffle and door prizes; and wine tastings and treats.
- Along Division Street from Ashland Avenue to Leavitt Street, the annual Do-Division Sidewalk Sale (312-850-9390, do-divisionstreetfest.com) on Saturday, June 5th and Sunday, June 6th features discounts from participating boutiques and salons as well as food, entertainment, and music.
- Galleria 1712 (1712 W. North Ave.; 773-235-1712, galleria1712.com) hosts spring trunk shows for Halo Stitch and Leeba Creations (leebacreations.com), with cocktails and appetizers, on Saturday, June 5th from 6 to 10 p.m.
- More than 30 crafters, including Artsy Mama and Smartsy Designs, will be showing their goods at the third annual Constructor Craft Fair (constructorcraftfair.com) on Sunday, June 6th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at FitzGerald’s (6615 Roosevelt Rd., Berwyn; fitzgeraldsnightclub.com).
- Griffins & Gargoyles Antiques (2140 W. Lawrence Ave.; 773-769-1255, griffins-gargoyles.com) holds an outdoor market on Saturday, June 5th with Della Terra Ceramics, Brooke Costello fashions, and more. The shop also kicks off its summer sale at the event, offering 20 percent off most items.
- Save 20 percent on all children’s swimwear at Odile (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0800) on Saturday, June 5th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday, June 6th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) holds a Kate Boggiano spring trunk show Friday, June 4th from 12 to 6 p.m. Also, the boutique opened its sister store, Florodora Shoes, at 348 South Dearborn Street at the end of last month.
- Now in its new location, M and Em’s (490 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-469-6040, mandems.com) holds a party with music, chocolate, drinks, and treats on Friday, June 4th from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) holds its annual yard sale with antiques, artist supplies, knitting yarn, and $50 previous season designer fashions on Friday, June 4th and Saturday, June 5th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Also get 25 percent off Richman’s spring/summer collections.
- The celebrity interior designer Nathan Turner hosts bridal events this weekend at four Chicagoland Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com) locations. Get style tips from Turner on Saturday, June 5th in Lincoln Park (1000 W. North Ave., 312-944-0467) at 10 a.m., and in Oak Brook (21 Oak Brook Center, Oakbrook; 630-572-3307) at 1 p.m. You can also find him on Sunday, June 5th in Deer Park (20530 N Rand Rd., Deer Park; 847-550-6763) at 10 a.m., and in Skokie (4999 Old Orchard Center, Skokie; 847-673-8416) at 1 p.m.
3 days ago
6 days ago