Aus Deutschland mit der Liebe
When Catharina Maerklin and her family moved from Germany to Evanston two years ago, they brought a lot of baby gear and toys with them. “So many people stopped us on the street to ask us about our stroller and other things that aren’t so common here,” she says. The inquiries were so frequent Maerklin decided to open a new baby boutique called leoleno (976 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-446-1100, leoleno.com) in March. While there are goods from Germany—including wooden toys, balance bikes, strollers, and stuffed animals—the shop also features merchandise from Holland, Italy, and Canada. “The items here are a little more expensive, but they are very well made, and they last for a longer time,” Maerklin says. Our favorites include puzzles and board games ($20); wooden teething toys ($10), block sets ($80), and ride-on toys ($300); a crib made in Denmark that converts into a toddler bed ($1,700); and strollers by Teutonia (from $600), a popular German brand that’s somewhat new to the United States. The boutique also offers monthly sales. In June, shoppers save 20 percent on all wooden animals and figures from Ostheimer. Parents might also be interested in leoleno’s weekly classes, such as baby sign language starting in July; visit leoleno.com for the schedule.
Top Sales This Week
Pretty in Pilsen (prettyinpilsen.com) returns on Thursday, June 9, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 2150 South Canalport Avenue. Guests enjoy treats, drinks, and 15 percent off items from Kate Boggiano, Cole Haddon, Anna Hovet, and other designers.
H2O Plus (845 W. Madison St.; 312-850-9283, h20plus.com) holds its annual warehouse sale on Saturday, June 11, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. with up to 80 percent off skincare, spa, and hair care products and accessories.
The Best of the Rest
- Dethrose Vintage (dethrosevintage.etsy.com) hosts a summer sale with clothing and accessories from the 1940s to the early 1990s at the RGB Lounge (1420 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 312-880-7421, rgblounge.com) on Saturday, June 11, from 12 to 8 p.m., and Sunday, June 12, from 12 to 5 p.m.
- Through Sunday, June 19, Shrine (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, shrinestyle.com) offers 15 percent off any one item for online shoppers who use the code FATHERS.
- le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) celebrates three years with birthday games that can win shoppers up to 50 percent off purchases Friday, June 10, through Sunday, June 12. Also this weekend, take $20 off every $100 spent at le Dress deux (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-222-1718).
- Learn how to commute in style at Bike Chic, an hour-long fashion event of the bike clothing and gear, on Thursday, June 9, at 12 p.m. in Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington St.). Participating vendors include Po Campo (pocampo.com), Copenhagen Cyclery (copenhagenbike.com), and Boulevard Bikes (boulevardbikeshop.com).
- Veruca Salt (520 N. Kingsbury St.; 773-276-3888, shopverucasalt.com) takes 20 percent off all shorts and swimwear now through Wednesday, June 8.
- Find the latest jewelry from Objets d’Envy (objetsdenvy.com) during a spring 2011 trunk show at Macy’s on State Street (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) this Friday, June 10, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Solo Salon (1065 W. Madison St.; 312-491-9771, solo-salon.com) offers manicures for $15, pedicures for $34, or a combination of both for $40 this month.
- Ride your bike to Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) through Monday, July 25, and get 20 percent off any one item.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its next marketplace auction on Wednesday, June 8, and Thursday, June 9, at 12 p.m. A preview event happens Tuesday, June 7, until 5 p.m.
- Macy’s on State Street (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) hosts a backstage beauty event, featuring the celebrity makeup artist Ricky Wilson, Wednesday, June 8, through Saturday, June 11. To RSVP, call 312-781-5506.
2 days ago