Photo: Courtesy of Guerrilla Truck Show
For the ninth year in a row, independent designers take it to the streets tonight. More than 60 creative types will showcase their work at The Guerrilla Truck Show (theguerrillatruckshow.com) from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. in front of Morlen Sinoway Atelier (1052 W. Fulton Market). It’s not called a truck show for nothing: Artists rent 20-foot moving trucks (we’re talking U-Hauls and Penskes) and line them up along Fulton Market. Peek inside to find incredible furniture pieces and art installations set up as temporary gallery spaces and room vignettes. What began as a modest show with a dozen trucks has grown into an annual summer event, now with 60 trucks and more than 5,000 expected attendees.
Entrance is free and it’s one night only, so make plans to stop by, grab a beer, and get inspired.
Top Sales This Week
Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-1967, kristak.com) is in the midst of its annual dress trunk show. Now through Sunday, all dresses (from brands including Rebecca Taylor and Chicago-based Mott 50) and shoes with a heel (from Stuart Weitzman, Pedro Garcia, and others) are 20 percent off.
Le Dress (1741 W. Division St., 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com) celebrates its fifth birthday this weekend with giveaways, special discounts, and snow cones courtesy of Jo Snow Syrups. Spend $50 to receive a free pair of earrings; spend $100 and score earrings plus a tank top. Two-hour flash sales—including 30 percent off blouses and 20 percent off sale items—take place all weekend.
The Best of the Rest
- Today and tomorrow, Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave., 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) hosts a fall trunk show with Escada. Each day from 12 to 3 p.m., models will strut through the store’s Couture Salon to show off the new styles.
- Edith Hart (1917 N. Damen Ave., 773-252-3350, edithhart.com) is making swimsuit shopping much more bearable—with margaritas and Big Star tacos. From 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, head to the store for complimentary Mexican treats and a trunk show featuring the eco-friendly swimsuit line Basta Surf (bastasurf.com).
- Indochino (indochino.com), the online custom clothier, sends its traveling tailor into town from June 13 to 30 with a pop-up store at 7 North State Street. Book a fitting appointment and receive a free custom dress shirt and gift set ($160 value) with a suit purchase.
- On Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the monthly market Vintage Garage Chicago (5051 N. Broadway, vintagegaragechicago.com) returns to Uptown. This time, Chicago’s CHIRP Radio joins the party, bringing a huge selection of vintage vinyl, CDs, 8-tracks, electronics, and memorabilia to the sale.
- Now through Labor Day weekend, Haberdash (haberdashmen.com) partners with theWit Hotel (201 N. State St.) to host a men’s fashion pop-up store at the hotel. The pop-up, which is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., features a collection of hard-to-find footwear, apothecary, and accessory brands including Sperry, Quoddy, Reigning Champ, Malin + Goetz, Filson, and Ashland Leather.
- Just in time for Father’s Day, three week-old menswear spot Hazel Apparel (1926 W. Montrose Ave., 773-904-7779, hazelchicago.com) hosts a grand opening party. Shop giftable items such as organic cotton socks by Pact, screen-printed tees by Paste, and neckties by Dibi.
2 days ago
2 weeks ago