Out of the Mouths of Babes
Within a month after graduating from the Chicago Fashion Incubator, Chicago native Kate Coxworth, the 27-year-old designer of the Kate Boggiano clothing line, moved her inventory from the 11th floor of Macy’s to Pilsen. Now a studio and retail space, Kate Boggiano (2150 Canal Port Ave., Suite 3A3; 866-388-3501, kateboggiano.com) opened earlier this month and carries a line of shirts, tops, and blouses that focuses on high-quality materials and fit. “Women have trouble finding a perfect fitting shirt because their curves and different fabrics make things difficult,” says Coxworth, who introduced the collection online in 2006. With that in mind, Coxworth recently introduced a “Create Your Own” feature at the Web site, which lets online shoppers to design their own items. “It’s really important for people to make an investment in their wardrobe,” Coxworth says. “High quality, better fitting items are more expensive, but they last longer.” Spring arrivals, available in-store and online, include a sleeveless ruffle blouse in navy, pink, or white ($139.95); a long sleeve linen jacket in white, black, or wheat ($239.95); and a ruffle-neck blue-and-white striped blouse ($189.95); all styles can be customized. Meanwhile, Kate Boggiano’s sale on fall items includes a silk-sleeve tunic with black and white pond lilies (originally $169, now $25) and a vintage-inspired, long sleeve cotton button-down in off-white or peach (originally $99, now $25).
Top Sales This Week
Shecky’s Girls Night Out (girlsnightout.sheckys.com), the New York shopping event, returns to Chicago with free drinks and beauty treatments, as well as up to 75 percent off items from local and national designers and boutiques, March 18th through 20th from 5 to 10 p.m. Admission is free for “Shecky’s Insiders” (sign up at sheckys.com) or $25 with a goodie bag filled products worth up to $100. Must be 21 and up; at the Great Hall at Union Station, 210 South Canal Street.
The luxury bedding outlet United Feather & Down (414 E. Golf. Rd., Des Plaines; 847-296-6610, ufandd.com) holds its first indoor tent sale with up to 70 percent off down and down-alternative bedding through March 28th. Additional specials include buy one, get one 50 percent off select items and buy one, get one free on imperfect bedding.
Pieces Gallery (644 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-432-2131, piecesgallery.net) holds a renovation sale on non-consigned items, including 50 percent of clothing; 40 percent of furniture; 20 percent off jewelry; and up to 85 percent off selected ceramics, glass items, and serving pieces through March 26th. Large consigned canvas art will be 10 percent off.
The Best of the Rest
- Gen Art showcases more than 70 up-and-coming designers at its semiannual Shop Chicago (genart.org/shop/Chicago) event with free drinks and up to 70 percent off spring clothing and accessory collections, March 21st from 2 to 6 p.m. Free admission or $100 for VIP tickets, which include early entry, access to the VIP lounge, and gift bags worth more than $200. RSVP by March 19th at 4 p.m. At the Great Hall at Union Station (210 S. Canal St.).
- The Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle Dr.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds a fair trade chocolate and wine sampling event, March 19th from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Celebrating three years, Continuum Studio (5671 N. Clark St.; 773-728-7883, continuumstudio.com) offers one free 30-minute add-on service for clients who purchase any weekday one-hour or longer treatment through March 31st. Clients may select from a micro-buff body polish, an express facial, or a tune-up massage. For details, visit continuumstudio.com/springdeal.aspx.
- Chic Gems (chicgemsetc.com) holds a spring sale with 40 percent off all items through March 31st. Use code “March” at online checkout to receive discount or order by phone at 888-801-8265. Also this month, to raise awareness for the Brain Aneurysm Foundation (bafound.org), Chic Gems holds an online trunk show with 10 percent off purchases for shoppers who use code “baf” at checkout. The designer Sarah Radford will donate 20 percent of proceeds to the foundation.
- To help Chicago high school students who can’t afford their prom attire, le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) serves as a drop-off site for The Glass Slipper Project. Shoppers who donate gently used dresses, jewelry, shoes, unopened makeup, or other prom essentials receive 20 percent off one full-price item March 21st through April 4th.
- Columbia College (312-663-1600, colum.edu) holds its annual student fashion show March 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. Themed “Dressed to Kill”, this year’s event combines aspects of hunting with contemporary fashion using a variety of animal prints, furs, and camouflage. At the Conaway Center, 1104 South Wabash Avenue.
- The French food shop Cook Au Vin (cook-au-vin.com) samples mise en bouche—or pre-starters—at Genevieve Lethu (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-423-9948) March 21st from 1 to 3 p.m. Attendees receive a free gift with any purchase.
- Beta Boutique holds an in-store Walter Baker sample sale with savings on his resort 2009 collection of blouses, dresses, skirts, and more—March 20th from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., March 21st from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and March 22nd from 12 to 5 p.m.
- Cabinet specialists Wood-Mode Fine Custom Cabinetry (www.wood-mode.com) holds its winter savings event in selected kitchen and bath showrooms through April 30th. For locations, visit wood-mode.com or call 312-644-4466.
- The International Home + Housewares Show (housewares.org) features products and designs from more than 2,000 exhibitors, March 22nd and 23rd from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and March 24th from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at McCormick Place (2301 S. Lake Shore Dr.; 312-791-7000, mccormickplace.com).
- The Illinois Orchid Society (iosoc.com) features 40 flower displays at its spring show and sale, with orchids and repotting services at $5 each, March 21st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and March 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. At the Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440, chicagobotanic.org/plantshows.
- Selected Carson Pirie Scott locations (800-233-7626; carsons.com for locations) hold Sole Sisters Shopping Frenzy with free coffee, snacks, mini-makeovers, and Better Shoe preview, March 21st from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Attendees receive 30 percent off shoe purchases. Through March 24th, the store also holds its goodwill sale, distributing coupons worth up to 20 percent off merchandise to customers who donate clothing or household items. Visit carsons.com for more details on both events.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900) holds a men’s denim event, giving a free pair of jeans to any shopper who spends $500 on full-price items in men’s sportswear, March 20th and 21st.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4460, bloomingdales.com) features Paige Adams-Geller, the designer of Paige Premium Denim, along with informal modeling, March 21st from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Y.E.S. contemporary sportswear department. Attendees receive an autographed poster of Adams-Geller, while shoppers receive a gift with any Paige Premium Denim purchase and 25 percent off when they buy two or more pairs of jeans.
2 days ago
2 weeks ago