Like many businesses this past holiday season, SoKo Fashion (1925 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-592-1089, sokofashion.com) took a hit in sales. As a result, owner Sheri Roney had to make a decision: keep going and possibly take on more debt—or close. Going with the latter, Roney announced her plans to shutter her Ukrainian Village boutique in early February. “If something was gonna happen, it was gonna have to happen fast,” she says. Luckily, the change happened in less than two weeks. “Our inventory was bought out [at 40 percent off] and our sales went up like crazy,” Roney says. Then, Amanda Wood, a friend and frequent shopper, offered to partner with Roney, who accepted and immediately put in orders for new merchandise. The spring selection includes a blue cap-sleeve, V-neck sweater ($59.99); skinny jeans in ivory and black ($64.99 each); a deep blue jacket with a belt across the waist; and a burnt orange jumper dress ($74.99). The boutique, which aims to sell all items for less than $100, also carries purses and handbags ($49.99 to $69.99) as well as stylish earrings, rings, and necklaces ($19.99 to $29.99). The boutique hosts a meet-and-greet with Wood, March 12th from 6 to 8 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
Shoppers who say “Jean Therapy” at Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720; 90 Oakbrook Ctr., Oakbrook, 630-571-9440; 1240 Northbrook Ct., Northbrook, 847-272-3860), The Blues Jean Bar (2210 N. Halsted St.; 773-248-5326), The Denim Lounge (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; 2004 W. Roscoe St.; 773-935-2820), Bett’s (678 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-432-0338), B2 (672 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-432-0338), or Ami Ami (720 Waukegan Rd., #B, Deerfield; 847-940-0669) receive 20 percent off men’s and women’s jeans March 12th through 15th.
Eye Spy Optical (3350 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-477-2670, eyespyoptical.com) holds a makeover party with free makeovers, wine, cheese, and giveaways, as well as a Theo Eyewear trunk show, March 14th from 12 to 5 p.m. To schedule a private fitting appointment with Theo Eyewear at the event, call 773-477-2670.
The Best of the Rest
- Handmade Market (handmadechicago.com) holds its winter event, featuring 32 sellers of jewelry, purses, knitted items, clothing, and crafts, at The Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.; 773-276-3600, emptybottle.com) March 14th from 12 to 4:30 p.m. Minors must be accompanied by parents.
- Wolfbait & B-Girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) holds an Evil Kitty (evilkitty.net) trunk show, featuring a new line filled with short-sleeve shrugs, baby doll and jersey dresses, pullover hoodies, and more, March 14th from 12 to 5 p.m. The event also includes a sale rack with T-shirts, dresses, and skirts up to 60 percent off. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org and receive 10 percent off new items.
- As a way to help benefit Brides Against Breast Cancer (bridesagainstbreastcancer.org), White Chicago (222 W. Huron St.; 312-397-1571, whitechicago.com) holds its third annual Dress Drive, collecting gown, slips, and veils that are less than seven years old, through March 19th. Donors are asked to provide copies of tags or receipts, if you have them, to help the store price the items for resale. Donations will be sold at the Brides Against Breast Cancer annual gown sale later this month.
- 2 Sisters Boutique (1167 W. Madison St., 312-226-6677; 28 Main St., Park Ridge, 847-698-3808; shop2sisters.com) discounts tickets to the Team Kid Care runway walk, featuring the shop’s clothing March 26th at 7 p.m. at the Union Park Lounge (228 S. Racine Ave.; 312-243-9002, unionparklounge.com). Shoppers who spend $100 earn half off the ticket price; customers who bring in a new or gently used clothing or toy receive $5 off their ticket. Guests may also enter the raffle to win outfits from the show. Tickets ($30 in advance, $35 at door) include two drink tickets and hors d’oeuvres.
- Veruca Salt (1921 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9888; 520 North Kingsbury St., 773-276-3888; shopverucasalt.com) offers 20 percent off dresses through March 11th.
- Shoppers may now create bridal, baby, birthday, and other gift registries at Genevieve Lethu (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-423-9948, genevievelethu.com).
- Zola Jones (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-848-3257, zolajonesdesigns.com) offers 50 percent off fabric bags throughout March.
- In honor of baseball spring training, men’s barber-salon Urban Joe (3324 N. Clark St.; 773-529-5637, urbanjoe.com) offers $10 hair cuts throughout March.
- His Stuff (3162 N. Broadway St., 773-281-6111; 5314 N. Clark St.; 773-989-9111; hisstuffchicago.com) celebrates the anniversaries of both locations with 25 percent off underwear through March 15th.
- Wicker Park’s Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) takes 75 percent off its fall and winter 2008 collections.
- B (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102, b-chicago.com) boutique offers 75 percent off its fall and winter 2008 merchandise.
Shuttered or Moved
- After three years in Roscoe Village, Sacred Art (2040 W. Roscoe St.; 773-404-8790, sacredartstore.com) closes March 15th. The gallery will reopen in Lincoln Square at 4619 North Lincoln Avenue (773-728-2803) by the end of the month.
1 day ago
1 week ago