Since 2006, the Chicago Fashion Incubator at Macy’s has helped local designers launch their careers in fashion through workshops, workspaces, and other kinds of support for one year at a time. Now in the midst of its third term, the program has joined forces with the 900 Shops to open a temporary retail shop that will highlight all 18 previous and current participants and their innovative lines. “A lot of people have heard about the incubator, but they’re not really sure what it is,” says Lara Miller, a local designer and the project’s executive director. “They might think it’s a really competitive environment, but it’s more supportive. We all work together, and this shop is a neat way to show that.” Through exclusive weekend events and trunk shows, the Chicago Fashion Incubator Pop-Up Shop (900 N. Michigan Ave., fifth floor; 312-867-4925) will feature clothing and accessories from the program’s alums, including Agga B (aggab.com) and Cynthia Ryba (cynthiaryba.com) as well as the current Designers in Residence: Christina Fan of C/Fan (cfan-designs.com), Donaldo Smith of the contemporary menswear line Killian Gui (killiangui.com), Jonnie Rettele of Nonnie Threads (nonniethreads.com), Leah Fagan of PELOTON, Miriam Cecilia Carlson of M.C.C. (miriamceciliacarlson.com), and Stephanie Kuhr of Dottie’s Designs (etsy.com/people/dottiesdelights). Launching with a party tonight, the shop opens to the public on Thursday, March 18th at 10 a.m. Weekend events include the 2010 new designer trunk show, in conjunction with a Cynthia Ryba trunk show, Saturday, March 20th from 12 to 8 p.m., and an Audey Fall 2010 showcase with afternoon tea on Sunday, March 21st from 12 to 2 p.m. “If guests want to learn more about the incubator and the new designers, the 20th is the ideal day for them to attend,” says Miller. The Chicago Fashion Incubator Pop-Up Shop will be open Thursdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sundays from 12 to 6 p.m., through April 18th.
Top Sales This Week
Save up to 75 percent off on everything from silverware to dinnerware at P.O.S.H. (613 N. State St.; 312-280-1602, poshchicago.com), during its annual The Dish Ran Away with the Spoon sale from Friday, March 19th through Friday, April 2nd.
StyleChicago (stylechicago.com) hosts its second annual South Beach Style: Girls’ Night Out on March 25th from 6 to 9 p.m. at Nacional 27 (325 W. Huron St.; 312-664-2727, nacional27.net). The event includes cocktails and wines, tapas, salsa dancing, mini-spa and beauty services, and fashion apparel from Custo Barcelona and Tous. Tickets, $35 or $45 for VIP status, are advance purchase only. Call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com; 21 and older only.
The Best of the Rest
- With all the construction complete, Urban Style Emporium (200 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-335-1353, urbanstyleemporium.com) holds its grand opening on Friday, March 19th from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests enjoy snacks, wine, Champagne, and live music. The event also includes the premiere of a European hat salon, Loreta Corsetti Millinery Atelier (312-640-6004), which opens inside the boutique. Call 312-335-1353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP; Loreta Corsetti guests call 312-640-6004.
- The Chicago International Vintage Poster Fair(800-856-8069, posterfair.com) showcases more than 10,000 original posters from more than 25 international dealers at the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.), on Saturday, March 20th and Sunday, March 21st. A $15 ticket is good all weekend.
- Enjoy displays from dozens of vendors and exhibitors during the Illinois Orchid Society Spring Show and Orchid Sale (iosoc.com) on Saturday, March 20th and Sunday, March 21st, at the Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440).
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its fine books, manuscripts, and memorabilia auction on Tuesday, March 16th at 12 p.m.
- To benefit The Apareció Foundation (apareciofoundation.org), Chic Gems (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com) hosts an online trunk show through June 30th. Enter promo code “APARECIO” at online checkout to receive 10 percent off any purchase and donate 20 percent of the sale to The Apareció Foundation.
- The Randolph Street Market (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) returns with its indoor spring show on Saturday, March 20th and Sunday, March 21st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located at Plumbers Hall (1340 W. Washington St.), look for antique furniture, vintage clothing, and jewelry. Tickets are $10 at the door or $8 in advance at randolpstreetmarket.com.
- The Spring Fling event at Aphora Day Spa (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240, aphoradayspa.com) features complimentary yoga, the spring collection from be.ology (beologyonline.com), and Mia Valenti jewelry on Friday, March 19th at 6:30 p.m. The spa offers wine, cheese, and 15 percent off all appointments booked during the event.
- Mario Tricoci Hair Salon & Day Spa (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 847-202-1900, tricoci.com) puts together wedding hair, skin, makeup, and nail tips and demonstrations at its 2010 bridal event on Sunday, March 21st from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. To book an appointment, call 847-202-4151.
- During round two of its “March Madness for the Fashionista,” Tocco (1266 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773.687.8895, toccochicago.com) hosts a reception with 10 percent off spring collections from Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0900) on Thursday, March 18 from 7 to 9:30 p.m.
- Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com) offers discounts during its customer appreciation weekend from Friday, March 19th to Sunday, March 21st, when the store throws a cocktail party from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Buy two custom shirts from Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (for locations, customsuitsyou.com) and receive two free ties through Wednesday, March 31st. Also this month, buy one wool suit and get half off one custom shirt from the store’s new line.
- LensCrafters (for locations, lenscrafters.com) holds its semi-annual lenses sale, featuring 50 percent off lenses with any frame purchase, through Saturday, April 3rd.
Closings and Relocations
Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940), a 12-year presence on the Gold Coast, relocates its inventory to its sister store, CRAM Fashion (3331 N. Broadway; 773-477-1737, cramchicago.com) at the end of the month. Until the move, get 75 percent off clothing from D&G, Versace Jeans Couture, GF Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré, and more.
10 hours ago
2 weeks ago