Private Label Goes Public
Though its pieces are found all over the country—sold under fashion brands such as J. Mendel, Douglas Hannant, and Ralph Lauren, and carried at major department stores, such as Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomingdale’s— Sequin, the company behind the jewelry, isn’t very well known. To help build its brand presence, Sequin opened its first Chicago boutique (845 W. Armitage Ave.; 312-224-4859) in November 2010, only its fourth in the country. “Sequin is where you can find the latest looks in jewelry for attainable prices,” says Frances Renk, the director of retail and relations. “We have straight off the runway looks before anyone else, and we design our own pieces.” The merchandise ranges from $15 to $800 for more than 300 items available daily; new items arrive each week. Founded in 2000, Sequin also has locations in Newport, Rhode Island, and Palm Beach; the pieces are manufactured in New York. The new Lincoln Park boutique will always carry the brand’s staple—enamel bangles in various colors and styles (up to $118). The spring selection includes black-and-white snakeskin bangles ($28 to $38 each) and raspberry ikat bangles ($28 to $42). You’ll also find starfish post earrings from the Anita Pallenberg Collection (from $28), a bracelet with pearl and daggers ($98) from the Keith Richards Rebel Romance collection, and a beaded stone collar ($128) from the Cher collection.
Top Sales This Week
Space519 (900 N. Michigan Ave., 5th floor; 312-751-1519, space519.com) hosts a decadestwo.1 (decadestwo1.com) luxury consignment pop-up shop on Saturday, April 2nd, and Sunday, April 3rd. Save up to 80 percent on luxury clothing, shoes, and accessories from Christian Louboutin, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, and Prada. Look for $150 shoes and $250 dresses during Sunday’s Head-to-Toe event.
Browse spring fashions from Dollparts (dollpartsdesign.com), Alidade (alidadeapparel.com), and Caroline Borucki (modelmayhem.com/carolineborucki) during the Chez Mignon: A House of Pretty Things event at Elastic Arts Foundation (2830 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 2nd floor; 773-772-3616, elasticrevolution.com) on Friday, April 1st, from 7 to 11:30 p.m. The event also features music by Sewing Pattern and Deep Deep Diver. Free refreshments.
The Best of the Rest
- Save $100 on any $400 purchase of full price items at Tumi (645 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-787-3096, tumi.com) through Sunday, April 3rd.
- Shrine (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, shrinestyle.com) donates 15 percent of all sales through Friday, April 1st, to the Salvation Army’s Japan Tsunami Relief Efforts.
- Take 10 percent off home maintenance tools and goods through Friday, April 1st, at Get Dwell (523 Green Bay Rd., Wilmette; 847-922-3418, getdwell.com)
- Kickin’ (2142 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com), Cinnamon (2104 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2466, cinnamonboutique.com), and A Pied (2037 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2210, apiedshoeboutique.com) host a Complete Your Look event. Buy something at one of the boutiques to get a 15 percent discount at either of the two other shops on the same day through Sunday, April 3rd. Also, at Kickin’, take 15 percent off Rosie Pope maternity fashions and 10 percent off everything else in the store on Tuesday, April 5th, from 7 to 8:45 p.m.
- Meet the supermodel Lindsay Ellingson and enjoy tarot card readings at Victoria’s Secret (734 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-280-1050, victoriassecret.com) on Tuesday, March 29th, from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, ext. 2117, neimanmarcus.com) holds several jewelry trunk shows in April, including Alexis Bittar on Friday, April 1st, and Steven Lagos on Saturday, April 2nd.
- For National Earth Month (April), the newly launched GlobalFashionBrands.com features the Chicago designers Lara Miller (laramiller.net), Frei Designs (freidesigns.com), and others. A portion of sales from April 1st through April 30th will go to The American Red Cross’s Japan Disaster Relief Fund. Visit globalfashionbrands.com/earthmonth for more information.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4845, bloomingdales.com) offers personal skincare consultations from Matthew Malin + Andrew Goetz of MALIN + GOETZ on Saturday, April 2nd, from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Cubs fans get 10 percent off their stays at Days Inn Chicago (644 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 773-525-7010, daysinnchicago.net) this summer. Call 888-LPN-DAYS or 773-525-7010 and mention the Cubs when booking.
- Cerato (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) holds dress events every week in April. The series starts on Saturday, April 2nd: Shoppers may customize a Vita Wrap Dress with help from the designer, Kristin Hassan.
1 week ago
3 weeks ago